458 Engine Control System Failure | FerrariChat

458 Engine Control System Failure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Volcano75, May 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Volcano75

Volcano75 Rookie

Sep 27, 2019
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Ok, I looked around and couldn't find much info so I'm asking the question. Today I have a failed heat test followed but Engine Control System Failure, see dealer. Any info. I am going to hook it up to an obd2, only thing I have seen so far is don't clear the code but those who do have this go away. I do love in Abu Dhabi and it was 44°C yesterday and I had it idling for a while. Have not filled gas tank, really haven't driven it far or fast just around town in this lockdown.

2. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    If you haven't driven it much or just short drives, highly likely the battery is low on voltage, even if plugged into a tender. I'd start with a nice 20 minute drive, fill the tank with some quality gas, give it a good "Italian Tune-up" once it's warmed up and get it into the high rev-range. Shut the car off, then turn key over wait a couple seconds to complete systems check and start the engine again. Let us know if alerts go away. If battery is 3 years old, maybe time for a new battery.

ArtOnWheels likes this.
  3. Volcano75

Volcano75 Rookie

Sep 27, 2019
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Brett
    It's driven daily. And Everytime I get in it gets the Italian tune up. Found an OBD2 here and it's throwing p2188 and 2190. Looks like there is lots of info on those and really it's not going to be bad to continue to drive. I'm locked in a town that I wouldn't let anyone touch it so glad to find it I can do some checks and probably be ok. Thanks for the info. This thing only gets the best fuel possible. Luckily I live in the land of oil.

4. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    With those codes, could be fouled MAF sensors. I’d try cleaning the sensor with CRC cleaner before going for replacement.

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The dealer would be my suggestion.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Although most likely unrelated, a mid-rear engine car at that temperature is desperate and working overtime to cool down.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

SVCalifornia likes this.
  7. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Ferraris with mid engines tend to run hot anyway exasperated by high ambient temps..Maybe it would improve things by fitting a freer flowing exhaust to keep it cooler and get rid of heat faster through the exhaust tips.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #8 AlfistaPortoghese, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    My turn today:

New (original) battery fitted last December. Car always connected to battery tender. 3/4 fuel tank. Turned it off and on again, error persists.

Warning came on after 5 or so minutes of driving (barely reached all service temps), a mile or two after switching from Sport to Race, and from Auto to Manual. Never got past 5.000 rpm. Air temp around 18°C. All gears were engaging, and at the usual time and smoothness. Engine sounded a bit rough.

Car seemed not to deliver it usual ammount of power while warning was on, but I wasn’t going to push it. Just babied it home, in case the code was/is real. Didn’t feel like risking being at the side of road alone at 1 a.m.

I’m guessing MAF sensor gone bad. Going overseas to work, so I won’t be able to get the car checked at the dealer until I come back. Was having a little bit of a joy ride before I go. Some ride...

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

9. tsmithmdtx

tsmithmdtx Rookie

Apr 17, 2011
    Tyler, Texas
    Had the same message and mine turned out to be a bad air intake valve. Had it replaced and no issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Volcano75

Volcano75 Rookie

Sep 27, 2019
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Thank you all. I cleaned the MAF no joy. Awesome a new air filter. The exhaust will probably be next year.

The problem with the dealer is I'm in lockdown and can't get out of town. So no dealer available.

The engine bay is always hot after a run but the engine itself keeps cool all the time. Never had a high temperature from it.

To Alfista, sounds familiar, I will keep updating as I find more info.

11. ArtOnWheels

ArtOnWheels Rookie

Sep 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    This showed up on my car last week. It’s been on the charger all winter and it was my first drive of the year. Took it out for a little drive and it did not disappear. Then a few days later I took the advice of V35 as posted above. I drove it like a Ferrari for about 20 min. That did the trick. I know these cars are very reliable but a car that fixes itself when driven fast? That’s just a whole new level.

v35, AlfistaPortoghese and xfrgtr like this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’ll give it a go next time. Gasoline direct injection is great, but carbon build up is a pain...

Kind regards,

Nuno.