New F12 (to me), first impressions | FerrariChat

New F12 (to me), first impressions

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by cwall, Jun 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Wow! What a great combination of a cruiser and beast in the same package. Drove from Palm Springs to Sedona for the weekend. Got a lot of clear and open highway, sweepers, and a few mountain roads.

I am really glad I went with the F12 over 458. This car is as easy to drive as Range Rover. In the F12 you don't have the tiring body roll but you get more road noise. Seats hold you will and had no issues driving for 4 hours straight without discomfort. A welcome change from my 360 and Gallardo which both had seats as hard as rocks.

Car tracks smoothly and predictably.

And then, you can play and I can see why people talk about your life flashing before your eyes if you aren't careful! Speed climbs very, very quickly. The one thing that stopped me exploring that more is how quick the steering is. I drive a lot in Germany and am pretty used to driving at high speeds there but need to recalibrate steering inputs.

Didn't yet push hard on the mountain roads and think I might not for a while. Given the grip and power available when you lose grip you might be going at speeds that don't forgive errors. Curious to know other members experiences.

I could swear I felt the rear end trying to break loose in 3rd at high RPM on a relatively straight and smooth road. Lots of fun! Looking forward to touring across the Western US over the next few months.

2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Welcome to the Ferrari V12 experience. Nice report.

cwall likes this.
  3. 2k8SB

2k8SB Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Totally agree with your assessment, great write up. The F12 is an amazing cruiser but a beast when you push the right hand peddle a little harder. Losing traction in 3rd gear on a straight road is not unusual... if you try you can do it in 4th and 5th too without too much trouble. Enjoy in good health!

cwall likes this.
  4. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    Congrats!!! Photos please....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwall likes this.
  5. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    They really are awesome...glad you like the brutal outright pace and howling banshee scream....Buy the best rear tires you can for it...I have just put the new (not the old) Pirelli PZ4 on and I can be 100% flat in 1st....truly the best tire I have had on a car....20%+ more traction, transformed my F12, many people prefer the Michelin’s there really is nothing in it for the new generation tires, go for a new generation high quality tire...

The lightweight forged wheels and titanium bolts also sharpen the car up a little, removing almost 3.5kg of unsprung mass per wheel (the equivalent to removing 3.5kg x4 wheels x7 = circa 100kg sprung mass)

You still have to drive an F12 which I think is the unique character....

Glad you loving it...

Mark T

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

day355 and cwall like this.
  6. Romaihi

Romaihi Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Qatar
    Full Name:
    Hamad Al Romaihi
    cwall likes this.
  7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks for the write up. please post pics!

cwall likes this.
  8. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

AAH, ryalex, sampelligrino and 2 others like this.
  9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great looking ride

cwall likes this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    V12!!

cwall likes this.
  11. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Congrats.
    Welcome to the F12 club.
    Enjoy with great health.
    A lil piece of advice, please don't turn the ESC off with out being extremely cautious, and preferably on track (and knowing what U R doing) or a veeery large empty space.
    It becomes like a different beast, and really hard to control with no ESC.
    ENJOY,,,;)

cwall likes this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Congratulations, these cars are great bargains right now. Drive it every chance you get.

Get the Michelin PS4S's and get rid of the Pirelli's asap. Best upgrade you can do to improve ride, performance and safety. Its like a different car with these tires.

ryalex, x z8, cwall and 1 other person like this.
  13. Romaihi

Romaihi Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Qatar
    Full Name:
    Hamad Al Romaihi
    Indeed I Just fitted the PS4S and the ride quality is way improved After using Michelin pilot supersport which is better than pirelli's P zero

PS4S Worth every $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

x z8, cwall and Gh21631 like this.
  14. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Def going to heed that advice.

15. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    WIll try the PS4S. Shouldn't be too long before I need a new set, how long can tires last on a 730hp rear-wheel drive car...

16. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Was looking at putting on the Carbon Revolution all CFR wheels. They seem to only do OEM now. WIll be on the lookout for a nice set of the forged!

17. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I love my F12. Most important upgrade- new tires... as others have said Michelin PS4S. Transforms the car because car doesn’t just break loose. I also have a 458 Sp. Hard to pick one over the other.

ryalex, Terrence and cwall like this.
  18. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    A white F12 / 812 is my dream car - well done and congratulations !!

MDS

cwall likes this.
  19. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    So, I just looked at the tires and they are Pilot Super Sport. Didn't see the number "4" anywhere. To the right of the Pilot Super Sport it says "K2." Are these the same tires as mentioned above?

20. Romaihi

Romaihi Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Qatar
    Full Name:
    Hamad Al Romaihi
    Pilot super sport is the older version.. they don't produce it anymore.

The new one is Michelin PS4S. "4" means the fourth generation of super sport tires. you can find them on tirerack or Michelin website.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Alexcle, cwall and Gh21631 like this.
  21. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks, will be sure to replace with the latest ones.

22. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Welcome to the V-12 group!

23. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    i changed from pirelli to michelin supersport on ferrari 456m, and on ferrari ff from p zero to p4s. iike michelins much better, less noise, more traction, they even look better (for me). when buying the new tyres search for the ferrari spec.
    happy and safe driving !

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    So many 812 owners say how much easier it is to drive the 812 vs F12. But call me a masochist I want to be a little scared of my Ferrari.

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree on PS4S tires. I use them on my M5 and even in the winter snow they grip. They're magic.