Safe Way to Jump Start a Ferrari 360 with a Dead Battery | FerrariChat

Safe Way to Jump Start a Ferrari 360 with a Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by @CTEVN, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. @CTEVN

@CTEVN Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2020
  2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us Stephen.

Just a comment; I went one step further in the what's the worse that can happen scenario, that is, what happens if you have a dead battery and you're not lucky to be close to a 120v AC outlet.
    So instead I use the Noco GB40. It is fully portable and has that 'Boost' capability to put life into a
    dead battery also. I used it 4 years ago when the charger died during hibernation and I did not know until months later.
    I also have a hard wired connection direct to the battery similar to yours.
    (no affiliation with Noco products)

3. @CTEVN

@CTEVN Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2020

Yah I also have the portable NOCO's but the gb40 is actually not rated for the size of the Ferrari engine, I'd advice upgrading to gb50 as that is at least by the specs able to handle the load needed to start. It might be overkill, but yah for $100 to replace a NOCO might be worthwhile, for me its a cheap piece of mind, but you also listening to the guy who also bought the genius to really play it safe.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    You could use any jumper pack. Jump starting a Ferrari (and risking damage to sensitive electronics) is only a risk due to the voltage regulation and potential for spikes from the alternator on the running car. Jumper packs are nice stable power supplies, which if used correctly, aren't going to hurt any vehicle electronics.

whatheheck, Brocco and LARRYH like this.
  5. @CTEVN

@CTEVN Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2020
    Only problem is with a completely dead battery, even the NOCO doesn't run its safety process, you have to override all the safety functions. So yes a recently dead battery the NOCO jumper pack can be just fine, but a totally flat battery, I'd not run the risk as the jumper packs at that point have to run with no protection.

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    A jumper pack is just a battery, right? Your car battery is also just a battery, right? They are both batteries- there is no difference as far as your car is concerned, provided either can supply the necessary amps during starting.

As a side point, if you really, really had to jump start your ferrari from another running car, you can reduce the risk of damage (not eliminate it), but turning some big demand items on- things like headlights. In theory this could act as a buffer to mitigate power spikes. Probably make starting the car even harder though.

Brocco and hessank like this.
  7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1

My battery sat dead for 3 month when I used the Noco GB40 to revive it.
    I connected it to the battery directly
    There is absolutely nothing unsafe about by using a battery pact, as described above it is also a 12-13v battery.

Boosting from another car or a 120vac charger is a different matter.

whatheheck likes this.