430 - Battery Replacement | FerrariChat

430 Battery Replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ken458, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken458

Ken458 Karting

Jul 25, 2011
    Its battery time again for my 09 430 spider and I thought I would check what the current thought is on which battery to use. I was thinking an Interstate AGM but I dont know which part number. Any thought on Interstate or others? I know there are previous discussions concerning batteries but technology and model numbers change. Thanks, Ken

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You’ll hear all kinds of options. I just replaced the battery in my 08 with an Interstate MTZ-34R. It was $267 plus tax. Put it in myself.
    There are recent threads asking a similar question, you might want to breeze through those answers as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Mines got a red Optima in it. Came that way when I bought it 4 months ago. I keep it on a tender, no problems so far.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. ENDOSURG

ENDOSURG Karting

Dec 9, 2008
    Massena,New York
    Full Name:
    Vijaykumar Mandalaywala
    Interstate MTZ 48/H6

5. Completely Lawless

Feb 3, 2019
    Hoboken, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael Lawless
  6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I emailed the company. You can’t use the factory battery tender, so be careful if you do get one because you will need to get a separate charger and make sure no one ever plugs the OEM one in.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. FrankForrest

FrankForrest Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Just replaced my battery and searched and read all the threads. I ended up getting an Interstate AGM from Costco. Specs and size similar to the MTZ 48/H6. Only issue were the posts were recessed and didn't know if the terminals were going to fit. But on the Aldous Voice site, his Bosch battery also had the recessed posts so I knew it would work. Best part - $159. PITA to install though, would have been easier if the posts were on the top of the battery. And I don't like that bar that the passenger kick plate attaches too that runs close to both terminals. Makes me a little nervous. And of course the rods on the clamp down bar were a little short. I ended up putting the bar across the ribs near the top of the battery.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sparetireless likes this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Correct. You’ll need one of these.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Mario Andretti likes this.
  9. Ken458

Ken458 Karting

Jul 25, 2011
    Thanks for the info! I will post which one I end up with.

10. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    If you want to use the factory charging port to plug in the CTEK charger another F chatter posted the information on the part numbers for the factory plugs and where to buy them, and how to wire them. I did it for my 430 using a much newer version of the CTEK charger than came with the car and it works great!
    Sorry I don't have the original post because I just copied and pasted the details in a word doc to save on my computer.
    FWIW, I ended up going with the interstate AGM from Costco and had a friend with a metal fab shop make me a new battery hold down clamp and slightly longer J bolts as the battery was slightly longer and taller then the factory battery.
    that was about 4 years ago and I haven't had a single problem. But next time I need to replace the battery I will certainly consider this L ion battery.

Attached Files:

11. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    I just put in the Antigravity H6/Group-48 60Ah lithium battery in my car. It's a direct replacement in terms of fit, minus 20-30 lbs in weight savings. It took about 30 minutes to do the install myself.

They also sell a bluetooth battery tracker gadget that pairs with an app on your phone to show you the battery levels and monitor its health. Highly recommended!

I'm using the Optimate TM-291 lithium charger BTW.

Need4Spd likes this.
  12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    For the 360, Antigravity specs the T6/L2 (MT-91) size rather than the H6, which is a bit taller (which causes people to get longer J-bolts). They do spec the H6 instead for 430s, so I’m guessing your car is a 430. If not, was there a reason you went with the H6? Did you have any height of battery issues?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Yes, my car is a 430 as the topic of this thread is about 430 battery replacements. I had no height issues.

Need4Spd likes this.
  14. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    I did a battery replacement last year and went with Interstate. So that is my choice and I also have the CTEK battery tender.

15. brandan1

brandan1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2011
    Maryland
    Do you mind telling me what battery you bought and from where. Having a issue trying to locate one that will fit. Bought a optima but wouldnt fit because of the top cross bar.

16. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    There are a variety of brands available at a variety of auto parts houses. Just compare the specs and size and get the best value. Most are made by 1 of 2 manufacturers. Don't over think the project. I got the last battery for my CS at Advance Auto Parts. Good pricing and perfect fit. The owner's manual lists the proper size. Optimas are not the way to go as their quality has deteriorated since they moved manufacture out of the US.

17. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I highly recommend Antigravity T6 batteries with a Bluetooth sensor on it. It sat through the winter in storage with no charging an voltage never dropped under 13V. For 3 months, unheated unit. They are more than twice the price of a normal battery, but worth every penny in the quality and weight saving you get.

DeTomasoGTS74 and Need4Spd like this.
  18. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Exactly what I got, wired to the back of the driver's seat (someone before me had wired the regular charger there, I just replaced the feed)l

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Group 48/H6 is what fits best. The Optima is a Group 34R and is taller (and they leak, so you don't want that anyway).
    The Interstate AGM Group 48/H6 shown previously in this thread is what I got also (from Costco), they are now $180. Three year free replacement warranty, which has become the norm these days.