6 spd manual QP 4.2 | FerrariChat

6 spd manual QP 4.2

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by sevminasyan, Dec 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good evening all

Wanted to get the idea out there and see if anyone knows enough about the 07-13 Masi QP engine dimensions and possibility of a manual tranny being retrofitted to it. I know the engine is a variant of ferrari f430 with reworked internals for longevity but more interested to see what options I have hooking up a manual gearbox to it.
    The ZF unit is being used in variety of other vehicles such as astons, jaguars, fords, etc.

Any info or expertise contact would be appreciated

2. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Seems like it would be possible. The Maserati GT and Spider were available with a 6-speed manual. I don't know of anyone doing a conversion though.

3. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Where those based on the 430 block also? If so the bolt pattern may work

4. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    I have no direct knowledge of the cars, but I did find references indicating the GT4200 has a transaxle like the early QP V. It was also available with the cambio corsa option which, like the DuoSelect and Ferrari F1, is a manual transmission and clutch operated by electronics and hydraulics. If all that adds up, it might be even easier to convert an early QP V by finding or fabricating clutch and shift linkage for the existing front clutch and rear transaxle. The ECU for a DuoSelect car probably expects to communicate with the transmission controller, so you might need to have a friend in the business reprogram the ECU for a manual GT.

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not until the 07 MY did that engine have an actual transmission mounted to the bell housing and that was a ZF automatic. Otherwise it had a torque tube connected to a transaxle at the rear which was either a 6spd manual or the F1/duoselect. I don't think the QPV itself ever had a manual there though? That was only the early 4200 coupes. If your goal is to insert a 6spd manual on QPV that might be quite a tough job.

6. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thank u all for the input

steved033 likes this.
  7. fmmechanic

fmmechanic Rookie

Jan 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    j b
    The easiest way I can think of is:
    Get a duoselect MY07 (only year with auto duoselect) and convert from parts from a 575 for the shifter. The release bearing and shaft would also need to be changed. The problem is that this is Sofast 3, so errors would most likely show

8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The cambiocorsa and manual are probably both the same manual box. At least on 575s, they are the same even if they have a manual clutch. Get the equipment you need from a crashed Coupe GT ( manual ). Are you converting a duoselect car to become manual or are you putting the engine into something else?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Just found this old thread. If anyone has any interest in doing this (I would if I had a QP), then I can probably help quite a lot. I converted my 612 from F1 to manual recently, and there are various shared parts, and importantly shared electronic architecture. The ecu side of things would be a piece of cake then.

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    You guys are making it too hard. The OP has already stated 07-13. That makes it a no-brainer from a quick internet search. That trans bolts to the back of the engine, instead of running a torque tube and transaxle. The ZF is a 6HP26, like pictured below. The one below you can see the flexplate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

What's missing is the bellhousing, which looks like this:

In theory, you go pick a manual transmission you like, and you get someone to design a bellhousing to bolt it up. All you need is the adapter bellhousing, and becasue you're making it custom.

Here's a bellhousing by itself for $100. This tells you all the engine side info.

now pick a stout transmision...Tremec T-56 should do.

Get a flywheel custom machined, add a clutch with the tremec spline, and you're most of the way there.

sjd

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    LOL! The QP isn't a 57 Chevy!

The hard part isn't getting the mechanical right, it's making all the systems work together afterwards so that the dash board isn't a permanent Christmas tree.

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The hard part is getting past the idea that it's hard.

What does it need to see? Do you know?

sjd

F456M likes this.
  13. Theo_nr1

Theo_nr1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Theo van den Munckhof
    I'm new here, and looking for converting Maserati QP to manual.
    The F1 base engine has my preference since it is dry sump while the real auto ZF is not. Although conversion to manual should be more straight forward on a ZF Auto variant. I'm very interested in more info and could't yet find circuit diagrams. Read that 612 are converted but not seen so much details.
    Thinking of putting a real sequential gearbox, and not use the transaxle gearbox. Fooling the ecu is what concerns me. To select sport mode should override an upshift and likely need to send a speed signal, clutch signals and fool the actuator signals and sensor.

Possible the 612 is very similar in this to the QP

Best regards, Theo

14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    612 and QP use the same Florence electronic architecture, and having proven my "method" on 612 and 599, I'm certain it would work on QP as well. Engine ecu's would need re-flashed too- I know just the man to do it too. He's spent 100's of hours looking at Maserati damos files in order to make conversion software for Ferrari models, so nobody knows this ecu firmware like him.

In other good news for you, the QP pedal box is shared with 612, and the brake pedal uses the same base casting. This means that the clutch pedal I've designed will fit right into your QP.

Will be a fantastic project for you if you decide to go ahead!

F456M likes this.
  15. Theo_nr1

Theo_nr1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Theo van den Munckhof
    Interesting ecu reflash sounds good.

16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    So what are you thinking with regards to gear selection? I assume (contrary to the above) that you would keep the maserati gearbox?

17. Theo_nr1

Theo_nr1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Theo van den Munckhof
    It might be an option to keep the transaxle gearbox. But initial idea is still to get another fitted directly to the engine. Thinking to get a Drenth sequential gearbox. Clucth pedal is no big deal. Will send you a message.

18. Vladimir599

Vladimir599 Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Ivanov
    I am extremely interested in this subject. I own Maser 4200GT and 599gtb - and Im dreaming of converting them both. Where can I find more info about your project?

brogenville and F456M like this.
  19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ask in the 456/550/575 forum here. There are several now who have converted their 575s because an original 575 manual is worth 60% more than a F1 575! There are at least one or two companies in California that specialized in just this now. The Maserati QP rear transaxle is probably the same as the 575/599/612. See if the workshop manual or even user manualer states «Graziano transaxle». That is what the Ferraris use. And Maserati is build together under the umbrella of Ferrari and is «the same» company....

20. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Gearbox on the 4200 is a derivative of the one used on the 360/430. Nothing significantly in common with the 456/550/575/612/599 transaxle, which are all of the same family.

Converting a 4200 should be fairly easy given the relative abundance of parts. 599 isn't too bad now either - Ferrari have started remaking some parts, and bits you cant get are avaialable elsewhere -eg. the clutch pedal which I've made several of for other F Chatters.

Look up my thread "a clutch pedal where once there was none". 599 is very much the same process, though you have extra costs with the changes needed to the interior parts.