360 - Tire Alert | FerrariChat

360 Tire Alert

Discussion in '360/430' started by delaney, Jun 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Walking by my 360 the other day, I happen by chance to look down at a tire. The picture shows what I saw... an approximately 12 inch partial slit through the sidewall. The important thing to note is that had the tire not been in that exact position I would not have noticed it. I always check the thread depth and think that’s OK. So I decided to check the date of manufacture… January 2007.

Lesson learned, Examine your tires carefully and not just thread depth. I really didn’t know this tire was 13 years old… The tread was good. I was out in the car the other day, and heaven knows how many times I’ve driven it in this very very dangerous condition.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Good point. Also Mechanics should be flagging the tire age in the annual service, as opposed to just tire thread.
    Especially with high performance cars like ours, it really is critical to replace these around the 5yr time frame.
    Tires are the point of contact between the car and the road!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

KC360 FL likes this.
  3. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    How long have you owned the car? Never thought of checking the build date on the tires?

4. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    7 years. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

kes7u likes this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yea, my MPSS's are very slippery because they are just getting hard. I will replace them in a couple of months.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    DOT code is one of the first things I ask about when buying tires. Tread depth can be very deceiving because it can make a bad tire look good. Even with newer tire technology, I would not let a tire go more than 5-6 years on a high performance car, even if it's at 90% tread depth. Just not worth it.

Need4Spd and ihavearedferrari like this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley