458 - Spider headliner removal | FerrariChat

458 Spider headliner removal

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Regular Guy 01, May 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hi everybody,

I would like to remove the headliners from the roof of my 2014 458 Spider.
    Any advice would be appreciated as I would like to have them cleaned up and re dyed due to a spot on one of them. Has anybody else done this?

Thanks in advance,
    Gene Greer

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Removing headliners isn't fun. I have done it on several cars and usually getting them back in correctly is a chore, if not sometimes practically impossible.

I don't know how Ferrari headliners, specifically, are attached. Perhaps it might be easier than in some of the cars I've worked on. Based on just removing and installing a few leather covered panels in things like the 360 and 458, I can tell you that sometimes it can be a nightmare to get things back into place correctly. Ferrari uses some bizarre attachment methods and I have a feeling their headliner is not going to be much different.

In my 355, I accidentally ended up getting a spot on the headliner and was able to successfully spot clean it in place. Perhaps you could post a photo of the mark in question?

In a lot of cases, you'd be surprised how well just nothing more than soap and water and a microfiber towel and/or sponge can clean the headliner. Also, they make a chemical for spot cleaning microfiber furniture, which works amazing. If needed, I can check the cleaning kit I have here and maybe you can try whatever magical chemical they've got going. Whatever it is, it removes marks from just about any fabric.

The other thing which works pretty great is that Oxyclean stuff. I have used it a number of times, on a Q-tip, to spot clean and remove ink stains and the like. It takes some time, but it works great.

So my advice would be to clean in place if at all possible.

Ray

Regular Guy 01 likes this.
  3. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Thanks Ray,

I appreciate your input and advice.
    I was hoping that it might not be too hard to remove the 2 pieces but this might just be wishful thinking.

I will try to clean the spots off and get through this project.
    I have somebody coming to look at the problem as it might need to be re dyed, as it is leather.

Posting pictures isn't my strong suit but I will try to figure it out.
    Computers are not my friend.....

Thanks again,
    Gene Greer

4. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    When I changed my headliner to alcantara with leather stripes, I just pulled the two pieces off and gave them to my upholsterer. Snap out, snap in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Regular Guy 01 likes this.
  5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Doing the job on a spider does look a lot more straight forward. I wonder if this translates over to replacing the headliner on a coupe?

Ray

6. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for the info.
    It is much appreciated.

Beautiful job on making your car unique.
    I see this as something the factory should have done....

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer