Looking for a Mechanic in Westchester, NY | FerrariChat

Looking for a Mechanic in Westchester, NY

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Adam Benalt, Jun 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adam Benalt

Adam Benalt Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam B
    Anyone have a Ferrari mechanic they trust in or near Westchester, NY?
    And any tips on getting a PPI from another state/country?

2. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I would only trust Miller Motorcars in Greenwich
    As a dealer they do everything from warranty repairs to ground up restorations

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Tommy at P1 in Stamford CT.

Miller is also good.

4. gmoney56

gmoney56 Karting

Dec 14, 2009
    Tommy at P1 .Honest guy and reasonably priced.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  6. Adam Benalt

Adam Benalt Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam B
    After 3 votes for Tommy... called and spoke to him. He’s steering me away from the ‘88 3.2 Mondial I was asking him about, and says it’s easier to work on the T and it’s a better car to drive.
    Now I’m more confused because most of what I read says the T is more difficult because you need an ‘engine out’ for more service items.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what is a T?

8. Adam Benalt

Adam Benalt Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam B
    Mondial T ... last iteration of the Mondials. Came out in 89/90. They changes the engine config, added airbags and ABS... a more modern version.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I dont know anything about those but tommy knows his ****

10. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    isn't that why you hire an expert for a PPI?? to give you honest advice about a car even if it might not be what you want to hear?

11. Tiph206

Tiph206 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    Tommy at P1

12. Adam Benalt

Adam Benalt Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam B
    100% And if he’d seen the car in person and could answer to why the Ferrari Dealer’s PPI was so negative to the non-oem parts... I would trust his review.
    But without seeing the actual car- he can only give me general guidelines. So, now I’m looking for some feedback relating to his notes. I’m not discounting his expertise at all!
    The part that the Dealer took biggest offense to was the fusebox mod- a scudderia rampante install Ed by a 3rd party. Which by all accounts is the right way to go, but dealer says it’s a fire waiting to happen.
    So I now need to figure out if that’s the Dealer’s OEM Bias, or an actual problem. Until I get more detail on that, I don’t want to walk away from a car that I want.
    If the car was truly improperly modded, and/or jury rigged unsafely... then I don’t want that headache.
    But I’m also not sure I want to move on to the later model T versions. They May be easier to work on, but I really fell in love with the 3.2.

13. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    my misunderstanding, I misread, I thought he actually gave the car a PPI, he merely spoke to you about it? Nothing beats an actual PPI
    When I was in the market for a 308 GTSi I had Norwood Italia in Texas do a full day PPI on the car. very extensive report. Served me well, well worth the money because I would have probably overbid.

Adam Benalt likes this.
  14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    A T may be easier to work on for him because it requires an engine out to do a belt service and he can pull the motor and work on it while it is removed. In all the research I have done on Mondials the T costs more to maintain than the 3.2.
    Someone telling you that a T is a better car to drive than a 3.2 is their opinion I would say you should drive both and decide for yourself. If you like driving the T better than the 3.2 and you can afford to spend a little more on maintenance you should go with the T either one is going to cost you some dough sooner or later so you should buy what you like.

Dai Baracca and Adam Benalt like this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The T is more modern, has updated interior and same drive train as the 348. By all regards the T is the better car. Of course you have to remove the engine to service the T as it is Transverse, you cant do it from the wheel wells. But a car is more than the service effort. All that said there is a charm to older models like the 3.2 or the 328 despite lack luster performance. I personally LOVE Mondials, If I got one it would the the T in cabriolet though. I'd spend time in the Mondial forum and do some reading. These cars older models are very very easy to do a majority of the work on your self and diagnosing issues or CEL's is pretty straight forward, honestly not a lot different than muscle cars. Good luck!

BTW not sure what non oem parts its referring to. A majority of consumable parts or parts that break/wear out are made by Bosch. TPS, Coils, Igniters IAC's, Fuel pumps the list goes on forever. In every one of those cases you can xref parts using the Bosch part number. The Bosch parts are the Bosch parts even if they do not have a Ferrari part number, in fact most parts ONLY have the Bosch part. Some things like FPR's are no longer made by Bosch so you have to get an equivalent like the standard Products FPR etc, but that;s true even if the dealer did the work, parts not available anywhere are parts not available anywhere, dealers do not have some secret stash of Bosch Part out of production, you can;t even order them from the factory.

Adam Benalt likes this.
  16. Adam Benalt

Adam Benalt Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam B
    Thanks F -
    In this case, the biggest issue is the Scuderia Rampante Fuse Box. The dealer took issue with how it was installed. But overall he was just negative on the entire method of workmanship - an opinion which just isn't supported by any of the pictures or documentation the owner/seller has provided.
    And - yes - I know I'm biased by wanting this particular car. And - yes - having paid for the PPI, I should probably trust the PPI - even though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for.
    But - for some reason - I just can't walk away from this.

17. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    I have a 1986 3.2 Cabriolet, and had the Scuderia Rampante fuse box put in 8+ years ago, one of the best things i did on the car, as it cured many intermittent problems that were electric related. That box also take some of the bigger draw circuits out of the main box to a sub panel, which reduces risk of overheating the box. I expect its simply a dealer that is unfamiliar with anything but a bone OEM stock car. Also ask the dealer how they would plan to address the delamination of the circuit board that occurs on almost ever Mondial of this vintage, an part which is not available to buy anywhere. Search the Mondial forum and you will only find raves for Scuderia Rampante replacement parts.

The other big difference you will find between 3.2s and T's is that with the T they added power steering, and they all had ABS and adjustable suspension (rear only I think) , which of those you will only find ABS, on the late year 3.2s.

Auto Elite in Tenefly NJ ( just over the GWB), is outstanding and knows the Mondial line well - I seem to always see at least one if not more in his shop.

18. Cort Moritz

Cort Moritz Rookie

Jul 7, 2020
    NEW YORK
    Full Name:
    Cort Moritz
  19. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k