DIY: Upgrade non LED bulbs to LED's on California T | FerrariChat

DIY: Upgrade non LED bulbs to LED's on California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by whatheheck, Jun 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go for sharing.

My usual disclaimer:

I’m posting for sharing. In case anyone wants to do this modification / upgrade here are the step by step procedures to make life easier for you.

Note that I’m not here to argue or debate with anyone as I have better things to do. Im not seeking your approval or asking whether you like this or not.

If you don’t like what I do or you disagree with my approach or choice of parts – it’s OK, it’s my car. You too can do whatever you want to your own car.

If this info helps you a simple thanks goes a long way.

Always remember too, to each his own. Your life, your car do whatever makes you happy.

And just like anything in life, individual results may vary and you do this at your own risk; your experience may be different than mine so take this info for whatever value it provides to you.

Now that we got that out of the way………………(sorry for the above, all based on lessons learned)

I hate incandescent bulbs as they are simply not bright enough, they consume a lot of power and they get really hot. So be careful when you remove the OE bulbs.

First modification on my 2016 California T is to replace all the non LED bulbs with LED’s.

I like LED’s as they don’t get hot, you can play around with colors and they are directional. You can aim the light beam to your preference.

These are the non LED bulbs on my Cali T & their bulb numbers:

· Trunk Light (1) = 42mm Festoon
    · Side marker light (2 ea.) BA9S.
    · Door puddle lights (2), Footwell lights (2), Map Lights (2) & Dome Light (1) = 194

I replaced all mine with LED's. Done
    Photos and DIY instructions are attached.

You all please stay safe and healthy.

Dan

Next I will share DIY on Valentine 1 hardwire and hardwire for dashcam USB power.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Nice, Dan. Do they make the LEDs in different temperatures?

Looking forward to the V1 and dashcam tips.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Vic,

Yes, that's the nice thing about LED's they make them in different color temperatures.

The footwell and door puddle lights are 194 bulb. Here are different colors they offer at Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/Carr-Lighting-Interior-Courtesy-License/dp/B07BS6732Y/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=194+red&qid=1591202942&sr=8-14

Im working on DIY write up for the V1 and Dashcam hardwire. Will post tonight.

Have a fun day!

Dan

4. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Very cool. Would love to have my interior ones replaced with some lights which could be color matched and adjusted with an app like Philips Hue :) I don't know if they have any size which could work for cars though.

I know they have their car lights unit with X-tremeUltinon but it doesn't have the color palette. i think you can get blue ones for the interior maybe but then cannot adjust.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    I have a V1 installed in the car with the remote display in the rear view mirror and front grille mounted sensors. I want to upgrade to the new V1 unit but have to dig through to see what was installed where in the car. Maybe a weekend project when the weather is crappy outside...

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I am not aware of wireless controllable LED bulbs for the car.

But that would be cool!

Dan

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I will share what I did with mine hopefully tonight.

Dan

8. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Awesome, thanks Dan. I've done the same project on several of my cars and it makes such a huge difference. I'd imagine my 2014 California will use the same bulbs. I'll definitely be updating mine.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome John.

Dan

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie