Riot Stolen watches | FerrariChat

Riot Stolen watches

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by 3604u, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    There was some reports of High End watches stolen .

what happens when this watches hit the street ?

this watches to me are total lost as their serial numbers would be recorded. , so I don’t understand what’s with the looters

DGPF likes this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Possession of stolen goods is a crime almost everywhere.

Matt

porkchopious, albert328gts and 3604u like this.
  3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I don’t understand your question too well. What do you mean what’s with the looters? They’re either going to keep the watches or sell them. Even if they’re stolen there’s still a market for that, unfortunately.

3604u likes this.
  4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Exactly. Who knows how many hands will have touched that watch in a year. There might be some unsuspecting Joe buying a watch off Craigslist who thinks he's getting a pretty good deal. Then 5 years later he takes it in for servicing at Rolex and BAM! they hold the watch because it was reported stolen. There is no downside for the guy that stole it, unless he gets caught.

3604u likes this.
  5. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    I sympathise with the people who get racism . I get it quite a bit , but the most I would do is protest .
    stealing is a crime .

back to my question , so this opportunist believe they can make money by flipping watches.

Is there somewhere we can double check on watches? Like a vin check for cars before purchasing .

might be a good idea to have a website that can do this checks . I was just finding a way to solve an issue .

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, there are independent servicers. When you hear about black markets (cough Russia cough) there must be a way to move them undetected.

Now whether these ****heads can make those connections, who knows.

7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Sending watches or jewelry to Russia is very difficult from what I know. Most stolen watches are either sold at a discount to buyers who know (either in the US or overseas) or to customers who don't know (likewise, also to US or overseas buyers).

8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Protesting is very different from rioting and looting. Unfortunately, sometimes they go hand in hand. The rioters and looters are the opportunists. They want to cause trouble, damage/destroy things, and steal things because of the opportunity caused by the protests. Some have the motivation to steal and make a quick buck off the flip. Others steal for their personal use. Whatever the motivation, those are ill gotten gains.

AFAIK, there is no such database for watches.

DGPF, 3604u and Island Time like this.
  9. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    https://www.thewatchregister.com/
    the FBI also has a link for stolen high end watches www.jewelerssecurity.org

3604u and TWK like this.
  10. TWK

TWK Karting

Jul 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Some of the 'Watch' youtubers have covered this topic (Paul Thorpe comes to mind) including interviews with the Watch Register, and the challenges they face with keeping such a database. IIRC some of the manufacturers do not cooperate/share info.

technom3 and 3604u like this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It appears Omega does not keep track of that when a watch is sent in for service. https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-stolen-watches.41617/#post-487878

Omega is probably not among the "high end" watches being mentioned in this thread, but some models do exceed $20k USD although uncommon.

Funny thing though that Omega will not service my watch as it's custom/franken but would a stolen one apparently...

WJHMH, TWK and 3604u like this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Watch makers really don't care. They worry more about a replica. A stolen watch is not a lost sale. Its going to someone who wasn't going to buy one anyway.

In fact its replaced by another to the dealer's inventory who probably got the money from insurance to buy a new one.

DGPF, WJHMH and 3604u like this.
  13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    It will be interesting to see how many insurers invoke the “Civil Unrest” clause and refuse to pay out.

DGPF likes this.
  14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Have you ever seen that “clause” as an actual exception or exemption to an insurance claim?

Matt

15. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Not for watches, but My neighbor is my attorney. He is currently dealing with it for commercial clients related to warehouses. He is doing preemptive work currently in preparation. So far no insurers have denied claims.

Smiles likes this.
  16. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    technom3 likes this.
  17. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles