Thoughts on using Surface Transform brake discs. | FerrariChat

Thoughts on using Surface Transform brake discs.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Il Co-Pilota, Jun 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How do you feel about using aftermarket brake discs?

1. Great! I track my car several times a year so a lo I need all the durability and performance possibl

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. A good option as while I don't track my car, I like the idea of another option.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I'm satisfied with the stock discs and see no need.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't trust anything not installed by my Ferrari dealership and nothing can change my mind.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I like the idea of durable and resurfaceble discs and would consider them if dealer installed.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hi guys

Thought I wanted to get a better idea about everyone's thoughts on running the Surface Transform discs.

Please take a moment to vote and feel free to post a comment:)

Thank you in advance

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    If I'm using the brakes enough to need to replace the originals, then I should switch to steel. However, I could see myself running ST rotors if a rock or something damaged the OEM rotors.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Why "should" you switch to steel? You can, but it's not a must. I understand the idea of an initial cheap purchase price, but there's also significant drawbacks. The steel rotors available do of course have an initial cheaper purchase price, but that's not the same as it being worth it in the long haul. The steel discs will maybe last the same as OE discs, if that, and be cheap to purchase, but that's not the end of it.
    A set of steel discs for a 488 is what, 3400 usd? Okay, a set of ST discs is about 10500. But for every set of ST discs you might need 3-4 or more sets of steel discs - on tack- If you go road, it's even more. That's a minimum of 10200 if not over 13000 usd. Then when the ST discs are worn out, the price for a refurb is not 10500 but 1500 usd. I completely fail to see the point of why steel discs is a must. Add to all of this the performance losses on the steel discs. Adding 20+ pounds of rotor mass to the wheels is one hell of a unsprung rotating bulk to say the least, and I can tell you from first hand experience that it most certainly can be felt. Lastly if you feel most confident by using pad wear indicators, unfortunately no pad wear indicators are compatible with a steel disc conversion. Agiain, I cannot see the point in a steel disc conversion with the ST disc. You also have the ability to run six different pads with ST discs. RSC1, RSC2, RSC3, RSL1, RSL29 and OE pads. How many are available for a steel conversion?

Again I fail to see the benefit.

forrestjordan, mdrums and JanStuart like this.
  4. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Hmm, huge cost difference, right? And I see alot of people on here complain about the carbon brakes not stopping well.

5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Obviously, there is a lot to think about. Nothing is a slam dunk, I'm just telling you what I'd do. Some more thoughts...

If you are only running a few track days a year, there are time value of money equations here. It could be many years before ST discs pay off.
    If you are tracking your 458 4/5 times a month, the ST rotors make sense, but you will have to put up with downtime during resurfacing. Also, you should be spending time and effort weighing your rotors instead of measuring them.
    At these prices, there might be better cooling solutions for the 458, I don't know, haven't looked. But if I were serious about tracking my car often I would.
    I've run the RSL1 with steel discs before. Felt great, but perhaps a little pricey. But man they felt great. They weren't bad on the street either, I don't mind some brake noise.
    I don't see any data on GiroDisc vs ST rotor weight. But I'd still weigh the pros and cons. If you are tracking your car often enough to go through three sets of steel rotors, then you are probably more likely to enjoy the lower unsprung weight as well.
    Lastly, I hope I'm wrong, but in my limited experience, if you are tracking your car enough to go through lots of steel rotors, money shouldn't be a concern anyhow. Lots of other things are going to wear and tear. You'll need suspension budget, engine mount budget, etc, etc. I.E. If you've got the money to regularly track your 458, then you can certainly afford ST discs over steel.

forrestjordan and Need4Spd like this.
  6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    There have been a few reports, but properly functioning OEM carbon ceramic brakes stop well with no fade, even when cold. Most often when they don’t, it’s because someone sprayed silicone-based tire dressing on, and contaminated the rotors.

As for the original topic, I’d easily go to ST rotors when my OEM ones wear out. They cost less than OEM, and I’d not want to give up the advantages over steel.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    After warranty is gone if a non OEM product is better I'm all for it!

LVP488 likes this.