Speedo sensor dismantled | FerrariChat

Speedo sensor dismantled

Discussion in '308/328' started by Portofino, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    #1 Portofino, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    77 GT 4 with a early type 1 .
    Usual symptoms flickering needle , or nothing , intermittent, or works fine so you tend to leave it .
    22 mm metric bolt holds it vertically on the RHS of the gearbox near the fwd bank exhaust pipe .
    13 mm holds a wire clamp .
    In the winter I did just remove it and placed in the airing cupboard for a week .....improvement but gradually the time it does not work was lengthening to exceed the time it worked .
    Read a few threads on here about disassembly .
    New part is in excess of £200 .
    Basically you have to open a factory ( Veglia ) crimp .
    This was stubborn ....placed it carefully in a vice and with a tiny screw driver acting as a chisel and hammer , worked around the edge of the rim .
    As you can see the metal is brittle and maybe I was a little ham fisted ....but I managed to open it .

The Hall effect wheel was submerged by in oil !
    Some oil was splattered on the components them selves.

So I used brake cleaner spray to clean it all up .
    O ring is intact and there was oil either side of it ,
    I have smoothed down the plastic lid and when it’s finished drying in the sun I will resemble using a silicon sealant ..as well as obviously salvaging as much of the damaged crimp as possible .
    I will put a ring of silicon on the outside of the crimp where it’s meets the body .

Unless anyone has any other suggestions to seal it up on reassembly ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

There are little key ways on the lid + body = it only reassembles one way .

2. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Re sealed it with a bead of exhaust under the o ring , a bead over it and re crimped the remains of the crimp .
    This set quickly.
    Then used a flexible oil / water resistant “ gutter sealant “ to make a seal and run off around the top .Taking care to seal the wire in port ( which seemed ok ) and particularly the lower lip of the crimp .

I think ageing ....the o ring looses its elasticity, the heat cycles between the plastic top , metal case , rubber o ring = inevitably of it opening up = leaks oil or water splash in .

Well @£200 a pop I have nothing to loose .Its not pretty buts it’s a problem waiting to happen .
    Ps - Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I,ll do my cam cover gaskets soon as from under I can see oil seeping .The cam seals seem ok .

absostone and Milkshaker0007 like this.
  3. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
  4. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    nicely done, great fix, time for a congratulate beer i think