What's For Dinner? | Page 548 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Left over pizza...……… Going to further break my diet and go to Burger King for an ice cream cone. Its on sale, $1 per cone.

2. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Its either spaghetti and meatballs again. Left over sauce. Or White Spot for a bacon cheeseburger and poutine.

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Nicolas21, TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.
  4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  5. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Didn't feel like going out. So doing spaghetti and meatballs. I bought a box of chicken breasts, should have made chicken parm.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I didn't feel like cooking either, so I got the wife to agree to burst open one of the MREs she bought from Costco online at the start of our covid19 lockdown!

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    1000+ calories plus. We shared! But, I did also make a healthy salad with greens from our neighbor.

Reduced sodium. 410 mgs.

Prep-alicious!

Taste? Blech. Way too sweet. Thank the prepper gods for sambal oeleck, which parenthetically, I am enjoying the heck out of. Just the right heat level for me.

Now, the eternal question, which wine to enjoy in the bunker?!? Why Costco pinot grigio, course!

T

NbyNW, PureEuroM3 and max930 like this.
  7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Completing the triad of my first day’s meals back on USA soil...dinner had to be a steak place. I’m staying in a hotel in scottsdale (since like a dummy I got rid of my place here last year) and ventured to bourbon and bones. Not bad. Too pricey. But good. Only small twist was that the fries are truffle Parmesan, otherwise just a nyc strip after a wedge salad.

(Today marked my return after 8 months, its interesting to think what you want to eat after being out of the country and after eating at home due to covid for months...you can see my choices in the three meal threads...what would you get?)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nicolas21, NbyNW, Frank_C and 4 others like this.
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^When I was younger, I'd get a hankering for something like a Whataburger with jalapeños upon return. Or, Tex Mex or Q since those are hard to find of any decent quality overseas on my experience, albeit limited. Today, now that I'm a Ferrari owning bon vivant.

1. Breakfast - pecan waffles or a breakfast tortilla with hot sauce.

2. Lunch - don't really know. I'm not a big lunch eater.

3. Dinner - porterhouse or t-bone if warmer weather. If winter, my grandma's chicken soup.

T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  9. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I lived in the USA, so all pretty much the same food. I craved two Canadian chocolate bars. Not sold in the U.S.

I was grocery shopping and hungry. A McDonalds in the same plaza as grocery store. Got a big mac combo and six pack of McNuggets. Ate too much, and that takes care of my McDonalds cravings for awhile.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Let me guess Aero Bar and Coffee Crisp. As a student, there was a Canadian dude who was always going on about Tim Horton Donuts and those candy bars!

Finally. Wewalka dough is back in supply!

Pizza. Sardine tomato sauce, onion and mozz.
    Onions are from our neighbor's garden. He gave them to us, we didn't steal them! The basil and oregano are from our raised beds.

Spinach (from our garden), goat cheese, maters and basil and oregano.

T

NbyNW, arizonaitalian and TexasF355F1 like this.
  11. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Aero bar and Eatmore. In the states I had bags of Canadian candy. Got my neighbors two year old addicted to smarties.

12. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Bourbon. Small batch types. I don't drink Jack, which is all anyone abroad has.
    Whataburger.
    Ribeye.
    Chinese food.

13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    This is the only thing I’ve ever missed:

Grew up with it as a kid. I always order one with every meal whenever I go back. I couldn’t get it here for 40+ years til I found a place online in 2018 and paid 100 Eu to have 10 ten packs shipped here.....three months later got the diabetes diagnosis. But I do grab one whenever I get a little low.....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

NbyNW likes this.
  14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Late getting this posted. From Sunday, finally got into smoking. Bone-in Pork Butt is not available locally so got a couple smaller boneless shoulders. About 4 lbs each. My custom rub. BGE at 250 for 4.5 hours, then 2 hours wrapped in foil, 30 minutes to rest. BGE worked perfectly. NC style sauce - distilled white vinegar, crushed red pepper, black pepper, touch of salt. Still working on leftovers. Turned out great and can't wait to do another. Ribs too. Might do a mail order bone-in butt next time. Brisket is on my list too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Basic go-to meals.
    Breakfast: Eggs and sausage. Side of hot sauce. Yogurt, berries.
    Lunch: Sandwich or something light then think about dinner.
    Dinner: Steak. Non-chain place. NY strip or Porterhouse. Maybe a nice Italian pasta dish. Love my thick grilled chops too.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Your sauce sounds more like the vinegar-based Eastern NC sauce?
    There is a place called Spoon's in Charlotte that does really good Eastern NC Q - https://spoonsbarbecue.com/index - I kind of prefer it to the sweeter, Lexington-style BBQ sauce.
    T

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Never heard of that. Where did you grow up?
    T

18. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Definitely Eastern NC. Parker's BBQ, Wilson, NC. Loved Bill's too in Wilson and just read it closed after Bill passed. There for 56 years.
    https://www.newsobserver.com/living/article224674545.html

Just finished lunch. Enough for one more left. Sauce isn't on in the pic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    When we traveled more, we hardly ever made it to Eastern NC, so finding a place in western NC that made decent Eastern NC Q was a real gem!

Yummy Q & coffee. Too hot here for mid-day cafe, I'm switching over to cold brewed and iced espressos until it cools off, sometime in October!
    T

20. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Should have mentioned I love the smell of acetic acid, CH3COOH. Good stuff. Remember using and being really careful with glacial acetic acid back in lab days.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Oh yeah! If you bought them from Fischer Scientific - glacial HOAc = orange cap, conc sulfuric = yellow cap, HCl = blue, and nitric = red.
    Just quizzed the wife, 3 out of 4 colors correct! Not bad for 30+ years since we got our hands dirty in the lab! :)
    OK, enough nerd talk in the Dinner thread! :D
    T

NbyNW likes this.
  22. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Long Island. My parents were the only ones here in the states. We only spoke Italian at home, went to Verona (and Yugoslavia) to visit my cousins every summer til I went away to school.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #13698 arizonaitalian, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    So...yeah, I've got a checklist of places to hit while I'm in PHX for a week. Next up was a little (very authentic) mexican market where they grill chickens outside, filling the street with smoke. For 8 years I drove by, not giving any thought to stopping. Its an insanely dirty building, showing dirt and grime that is perhaps as old as me.

Not sure why I finally tried it (most likely Ania wanted to give it a go)...but it was awesome. She and I are the only non-mexican's that I've ever seen in there and the only customers that speak english as a primary language in the 30+ times I've been there.

I get their Chicken meal with a bbq'd chicken, beans, rice, tortillas and salsa. Then sorta make little tacos out of it. It is fantastic, flavorful, tender and juicy. And its only $10. Makes enough to feed 3-4 people. I will likely squeeze it in again before I leave.

NbyNW likes this.
  24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Next up was far-and-away the best BBQ in AZ, with Q that rivals the best I've had anywhere. I've posted about Little Miss BBQ before here, and this time was consistent. Their turkey is the best I've ever had and this version was so juicy and fantastic.

They also started doing a brine injected prime rib pastrami. They inject the prime rib with brine and basically cure it for 7 full days! Then they smoke it see the last pic). Its served only 1 day per week...never had anything like it.

They do the rest of the standards; sausage, brisket, pulled pork and pork ribs. I ordered enough for 3 meals so I could try each meat.

Even their sides are great; cheddar-jalapeno grits, potato salad, slaw and beans with pork.

Yummy++!

NbyNW likes this.
  25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Prime rib pastrami? Insane idea!

Was a tad too much, so I chopped this bad boy in half. Since it was wagyu didn't want an overly flavored marinade. A little EVOO, garlic powder, salt, cumin, chili powder, pepper and lime juice.
    About 3 or 4 hours. Then 4" per side direct, and 3' indirect. Perfect medium rare.

Slightly more charred on one side for the wife. Fire is oak and charcoal.

Good beef, keep it simple. Lightly charred onions, cotija cheese and a squirt of lime. Served on a freshly cooked tortilla.

T

Nicolas21 and NbyNW like this.