No fuel out of injectors | FerrariChat

No fuel out of injectors

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Gossimer, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gossimer

Gossimer Rookie

May 5, 2013
    Melbourne, FL
    I need a little help.

I am not getting fuel out of the fuel injectors. The car hasn't run in a couple years. I have replaced: fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel accumulator, fuel injectors and also tried adjusting mixture screw. When I disconnect a fuel injector and push down the pressure plate, fuel comes out of the fuel line, but if I put a fuel injector on the, place it in a bottle and press down on the pressure plate, no fuel is squirted from the injector, fuel injectors are new and all tested good. Any ideas what could be the issue?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Measure your control pressure first.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    If the pressure is good at the rails, do you have 12 volts dc at the injectors? Are both banks affected? Put your voltmeter red probe on the power pin and the black probe on a suitable engine earthing point.

I don't have a wiring diagram for the Mondial (T?), but normally injector relay/s provide power to the injectors and the ECU/s provide an earth to individual injectors.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I believe he has a Mondial with CSI. No fuel rails. The key is "press down on the pressure plate".

Qavion likes this.
  5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looks like you are short of pressure- you have flow with no injector but not enough when you fit it. If i remember correctly i think there is a non return valve in the outlet line of the pump

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ian, from what he was describing, it looks like a CIS system so there is no injector wirings.

Qavion likes this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, guys, this car is older than I thought.

8. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    It is almost only mechanics .. so measure system pressure and control pressure by inserting a valve and gauge between distributor and warmup regulator. I found it easier to disconnect at the wur side.

System pressure when valve is closed 5 bar approx when fuel pump is running. Then open valve and check that control pressure rises slowly as the heating element in the wur warms up.

9. Gossimer

Gossimer Rookie

May 5, 2013
    Melbourne, FL
    System pressure is really high. My guage only goes to 10 bar, but it is pegged out. I guess that means something is wrong with the fuel distributer, something plugged? Not allowing fuel to pass resulting in the high pressure, but I don't really know, think I am pretty much just guessing. Any ideas?

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, on the K-Jets, the fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel distributor so has to be something bad there or something like the return line to the tank is blocked. Long disuse is never good for CIS as there are a bunch of very small clearances/orifices/fits so getting it refreshed won't be a waste. Larry Fletcher at CIS FlowTech in Alabama is the US rebuilder (i.e., many places may advertise rebuilding CIS components, but most are just sending them to Larry). Best to call him or send him a text (email, or even his website contact form, isn't a priority).

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Disconnect the return line to the tank and rig up a hose to a container , see if you get any flow and a drop in your pressure

12. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    The pressure regulator can be checked next by unscrewing it from the FD. Fig 12 D14 page in the Mondial WSM.

Of course, it needs to be set to correct pressure then, but that should be easy using the gauge.

Are you sure the gauge reading is ok? You might want to verify it with an air compressor set at 5 bar and some white spirit in the lines to the gauge.

Caution of course use eye protection and no open flames or sparks ...

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    It sound like your fuel distributor is clogged with varnish from old dried out fuel. I would first make sure that your fuel tanks are flushed out, and you have a new fuel filter installed. Varnish will tend to collect in the fuel filter.

The best thing I've found to remove the varnish is Techron. Fill up the fuel distributor, and all fuel lines with pure Techron, and let that sit in there for a couple of days. That should help clean out the system.

14. Gossimer

Gossimer Rookie

May 5, 2013
    Melbourne, FL
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping with this issue. I ended up sending the fuel distributor to Larry at cis flowtech to be rebuilt.