car design thread | Page 403 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Complexity is the reining philosophy. ‘More’ is better.

anunakki likes this.
  3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    And to realize there had to be a string of the highest level executives that all put their OK on it to proceed to production. Sad, very sad.

anunakki and jm2 like this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They did the write up in Auto Design. I have to say BMW's are starting to look very Asian. This could be a KIA, Honda, Toyota, Nissan. Love the grill :(

Time to fire the designer, although it probably sells to "this generation" :)

Titanic if it sank in 2020 with "this generation" capturing the whole event...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

http://autodesignmagazine.com/en/2020/06/bmw-series-4-step-change/?fbclid=IwAR3WtwHs50ZY0Vjw2XF8ykpb80CgCExlzI32rqd8esJEn0iDn3mxNsfQVxo

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    John and I have been holding a conversation that we think others might want to participate in.

I will start with one of my comments. The premise is that almost all the OEMs are not doing a credible job with Design. [I see a difference of production cars versus the concept cars; one is real that had to survive the process] Some are decidedly worse than others but it is real hard to find one that can be pointed at to say that they are consistently doing a great job and leading the way forward.

I wonder if some of the problem with design at all the OEMs is:

1) So many of the design leaders and the near leader level people are moving around so much. (a) Are they populating their last place's aesthetic into too many of the new places? (b) Are they being hired because they are expected to bring that with them?

2) There is no real design leadership by any OEM so there is no place to look at for executive management (design and otherwise) to gauge themselves against.

3) With the international convergence of platform sizing and the application of worldwide regulatory requirements, has it made it too hard to be a unique design without doing weird design ****?

4) Has the use of consumer clinics killed the ability to be different in a good way?

5) Are the OEMs too filled with layers of management that think of the company like stock traders instead of being car people?

I don't know. What I do believe is not a problem is that the designers still come from only a couple of proper schools (CCS, ACCD - I still see almost all the others as pretenders). I would disagree with any idea that this promotes sameness in design; sameness in techniques is not a problem.

Whatever it is, its a sad state of affairs.

anunakki likes this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    And you're saying the rear end is even worse than this front end??????????? Holy ****!
    I don't think I would want to be seen driving this car, let alone the thought of paying for it...........

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Do you agree or disagree that the assorted manufacturers are doing a credible job with their Design?

If the answer is no, what do you think are some of the reasons causing this?

8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    There has been a steady debate regarding using digital media (Photoshop) to do design work. This video talks about why aspiring designers should learn to draw on paper first, then progress to the digital tools.

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well... this is pretty hard for me as a consumer (non-designer) to answer, but I'll give it a stab. :oops:

No, I don't think OEMs are doing a credible job with design.

Questions 1 and 2 are impossible for me to answer as someone who has never worked in the design profession.

3) I certainly think this is part of it. Even beyond convergence of platform sizing, some manufacturers are even sharing platforms (e.g. Citroen, Peugeot, & MINI). Overall shapes, as I understand the issue, such as high hood/bonnet heights are dictated by pedestrian crash regulations mandating a certain amount of space between them and mileage requirements have forced modification of some designs to achieve milestones set by fuel economy regulations. Perhaps the move into electric vehicles, as uninspiring a method of propulsion as that is, might actually free up more of the shape of the vehicle for designers even if platform sharing might well reduce car design to dressing up standard skateboards.

4) I think consumer clinics are a great way to ensure non-offensive mediocrity. The overall shapes of cars are going to be homogenized, which might well put additional pressure on styling details to demonstrate any individuality or brand nomenclature. With as successful as the stupid oversized grills have been in the truck world, it seems that manufacturers have concentrated on unique grill shapes and then oversized them to give the vehicles character. From just in front of the front wheels to just behind the rear wheels, it would be very difficult to see any kind of brand identity these days (at least for me as a consumer). The grill, headlights, and tail lights are where the primary differences are. Front and rear bumpers, front spoilers, and rear diffusers are all just a mess of vents styled by the wind tunnel, so despite being radically different they somehow all look the same for being an element of jarring chaos afflicting most vehicles.

5) Yes. It looks like they've decided that performance (or at least the appearance of it) sells. Even front-wheel drive economy cars are dressed up with the overwrought performance styling of a Nürburgring track warrior's steed. Cars these days are a complete mess on the design/styling front. Sophisticated and clean are not within most people's price points. Even at higher price points, it almost looks like there's no confidence in the basic elements of the design and cars are still made with an over-styled appearance that comes across as chintzy.

All the best,
    Andrew.

anunakki, F1tommy and jm2 like this.
  11. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

All the best,
    Andrew.

Tenney likes this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Excellent input for a 'non-designer'. Complicated questions, but straightforward input. Thanks.
    Always interested in others input/opinions.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  13. VigorousZX

VigorousZX Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2011
    So this is where the modern Z car came from...
    On the designing profession, when Standard Oil broke up into many smaller companies to hide its oligarch rule, same thing happened with the automobile industry. And these shell companies weren't limited to one continent, so this is why artists will be limited by a mafia that profits from a 'planned obsolescence' downgrade in new car designs.
    Give me a Ferrari 308 knockoff with 120 horse power for $25,000... no company would do it.

Boomhauer and colombo2cam like this.
  14. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001

jm2 likes this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Slightly off topic but do you roll your eyes at the costumes in the Marvel movies like I do?

G. Pepper and jm2 like this.
  16. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry

Thing is, its not just automobiles. Overwrought design is everywhere these days. I used to be a designer for movies and I roll my eyes at the overwrought designs in the Marvel movies.

jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Of course.
    I just figured I was getting too old!

anunakki likes this.
  18. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    All of the Marvel designers are my facebook friends so I try to be as polite about it as possible. lol

G. Pepper and jm2 like this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I do understand.
    I still have many friends actively involved in designing vehicles.
    I'm as professional as I've ever been talking about the current state of design affairs.
    Sometimes however, I still manage to pi** them off.
    Whatever.

G. Pepper and anunakki like this.
  20. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    On the matter of consumer clinics... here's a better alternative.

What if you had say 3 designers with 3 very different designs for an upcoming car. Invite any consumer who wants to attend to judge the cars. Tell the judging consumers that they can vote on the best design by placing a deposit for an order of the vehicle they like best. If they don't like any, they can just leave. If their chosen vehicle has the most deposits, it wins, gets built, and the deposits become non-refundable. If their chosen vehicle is eliminated, they get their deposits refunded with the option to place it on the winning design to be amongst the first to own it, or they can just leave.

The designer of the winning car gets control to bring the concept into production reality. The production car should be faithful to the concept, the consumer gets no say over the details, and design elements are not merged between the 3 different concepts.

All the best,
    Andrew.

VigorousZX and jm2 like this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Interesting concept.
    Not merging any ideas between the 3 entrants? That I’d like to see.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  22. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Today's residential architecture. Too many gables seems to be the current fad along with complicated roof lines. Why? Ugly cars, ugly houses, it's everywhere.