Reverse order qualifying race | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Reverse order qualifying race

Discussion in 'F1' started by rse1851, Jun 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I'm not sure who thinks the racing is boring. Last year I watched this awesome series called Formula 1. Over the course of the season there were five different winners from three teams. There were Eight different drivers who podiumed. There was action, outstanding drives throughout the field, masses of passing in the midfield, come back drives, last minute passes etc. What do people expect from F1 racing? The best teams and drivers always rise to the top. I don't understand what people think needs fixing.

Blackmamba and william like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I agree with you; there is little wrong with the present formula and the existing format.
    Some people would like to turn F1 into a lottery because they find it too predictible for their taste.

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It seems some folks think racing must egalitarian and everyone has an equal chance. Excuse me but the best teams with the best cars can attract the best drivers soooooo they are substantially more likely to win over a protracted period of time.

If you want a more egalitarian form of racing switch to horse racing where there is handicapping and not necessarily does the best horse and rider always win. The race is short and the shorter the time period the greater the chance that upsets can occur.

Otherwise leave F1 as it is and let the lesser teams try harder to develop themselves thus pushing the whole sport to a higher level. One opinion I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Bas, william and Isobel like this.
  4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Fastest order = boring
    Reverse order = gimmick

Random order = everybody happy

stavura and Bas like this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Though the idea of reverse grid is nice, it's utterly pointless. The fastests cars tend to be in the top 10 in the opening laps, despite starting last. So we get a few extra laps of overtaking...fastest cars on slowest cars? Then there's the issue of secondary teams bowing to their overlords, letting their engine supplying teams through easily and their rivals....well less easy! Recipe for total chaos.

If F1 wants better racing, it needs to improve the cars. I think the 2022 rules are a very good step forward. Some things need changing still, of course.

I don't know why F1 (and some fans) are so obsessed with overtaking statistics. Loads of overtaking doesn't automatically make a great race. 2005 Imola proves exactly that. Schumacher glued to Alonso's gearbox for half the race, not an overtake made. But it was epic to see. If he had DRS he would've breezed passed and no one would remember that for a moment.

Almost. Random order, we'll immediately get upset when one driver gets more better starts over the season than his nearest rival.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    The issue is deciding what F1 wants to be: is it a televised sports competition or an entertainment show? Olympic wrestling or WWE?

If it is a sport, the main purpose is simply to determine who is the best and all these gimmicks to make racing more "entertaining" are just preposterous. The reverse grid is like giving a head start to the slowest runners in spint races.

If it is entertainment then by all means every measure should be taken to make it more enjoyable. Personally though, I am not interested in anything like that and I would completely quit F1.

william likes this.
  7. As usual, I don't understand the problem. The same old complaint about how "boring" F1 is.
    For those that want the better "show", the very fast, open wheel series with the so called "good" (close, frequent position changing) racing already exists. Exactly the same equipment for all; no changes required, whatsoever. Why anyone insists on torturing themselves with the "boredom" of F1 escapes me.
    Leave that to those of us that enjoy the pinnacle as it has always been. (I could easily live with uncharged ICEs, and without the hybrid crap however. The "equalizing" DRS can go also....)

Saturday night, IndyCar's season starts. Enjoy. Don't endure the self inflicted pain of F1.

(once again, I digress.

Blackmamba and william like this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Exactly !!

Bas likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

If F1 is considered purely as an entertainment, the FIA should stop calling it the World Drivers Championship !!!

Handicaping success has never been the aim of F1: it's supposed to reward the BEST !

randkin likes this.
  10. Adrian Thompson

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Wasn't one of the reasons the Indian GP got cancelled because the government was wanting to tax the teams earnings (from that race in their country) as entertainment not a sport? I don't recall the exact details, but I'm sure there was something like that. Can you imagine if the reverse grid farce had come up at that time? It would have been a slam dunk (gotta love mixed sport metaphors) for them to say it was obviously more about entertainment than sport.

Also, has anyone commented on the safety issue? It's one thing if one driver from a front row car/team is at the back because they had issues in qualifying. That's entertaining as one fast car is dicing it up with the slower cars and drivers picking his way through in the first few laps. Now put all the fast cars at the back behind the slower ones and I see a massive safety issue cropping up as the whole pack is trying to pass slower cars all at the same time. The powers that be need to realize that you can't force random. A heroic drive from the back, or a wet, dry, wet, dry race are exciting because they are random and unexpected. When you try and force those circumstances it's no longer random, people can plan for it so it backfires before it starts.

william likes this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Reverse grid is a silly idea. I would even say it's a perverse idea.
    They blame Toto Wolffe for opposing it.
    Apparently 9 team principals agreed with the proposition.

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  12. Adrian Thompson

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    William,
    It's hard to believe that Ferrari didn't oppose it too! Well look on the bright side. At last Toto has done something that everyone on here car agree with!!!!

william likes this.
  13. 'Exactly why I have lost much interest in IndyCar, NASCAR and sportscar racing. The artificially induced close racing (which is to be expected) does nothing for the anticipation of, and appreciation of, truly exciting, unexpected, bits of real racing when two or more get 'it' just right on those rare occasions; not "orchestrated".

william likes this.