F12 Paint Bubbling | Page 12 | FerrariChat

F12 Paint Bubbling

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by acadmd, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jr-f12-15

jr-f12-15 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2020
    Tomball, TX
    Full Name:
    John Refalo
    Dealer purchase, CPO and extended warranty, January 2020. 2015 with 8500 miles. Dealer made arrangements for repair at certified ferrari body shop. Dropping it off tomorrow. More details as available.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Avia11 and colonels like this.
  2. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    That’s a good deal if they are paying the bill.
    But a couple ferrari dealers i talked to told me you are on your own if this happens.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If under warranty they are supposed to cover it but it requires painting the car which is never good.

4. GTf12

GTf12 Karting

Dec 29, 2015
    Hey guys,
    I just checked my 15 april f12 yesterday, and, guess what, the paint surrounding the mesh started bubbling under the ppf.
    A little background info on the car. it was a nero car and it has 5k miles only.
    I live in california and the car is always garaged 24/7, until january this year.
    That is when i consigned the car w ferrari of beverly hills.
    yesterday they just confirmed the sale, and asked me to go to the service department to give it another walk-through for one last.
    the car was perfect when I left it.
    During the walkthrough everything looked great except for this one spot, Scott the service manager said.
    he noticed there is a very minor bubbling around the mesh which he thought was the film.
    I pointed him to this thread and he agreed its not the film.
    The car's extended warranty just expired april this year while the dealer had the car.
    I hope the new owner whoever he is will get it covered by ferrari.
    It would suck if not

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They better cover it, the dealer better step up and work with you. I would never buy another F car gain if they didnt do this for me. It is a known defect and it likely started the corrosion process while under warranty, it didnt happen overnight.

6. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    My dealer says should be covered under warranty.
    What’s the cost of the fix, generally, if not?
    Was looking at an f12 recently and passed when I saw the bubbling just starting to show.

7. GTf12

GTf12 Karting

Dec 29, 2015
    i hope so, for the new owner's sake.
    Ferrari of beverly hills bought my car, and flipped it to this out of state buyer who is a regular
    I am sure they'll take care of him under warranty
    I am just glad it didnt happen while I owned it

8. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Damn it one more thing I have to look for...but good to know.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If you happen to find one without this issue you need to have the work done to help prevent this. Not a big deal but should be done.

10. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    what does this work entail, and approx cost?

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    rem oval of grills and the use of some plastic spacers between the body and the mesh. There is a thread here with more details and pics.

12. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    can’t find it if someone has a link handy appreciate it

13. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    The cost is about 10-12k.

ryalex and Rory breaker like this.
  14. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    thanks for the straight answer :)

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    And then you will want the whole car paint corrected and every little detail better than new. Up the warranty. Then there's the PPF and ceramic. New tires. Suspension. Good excuse to go the extra mile it seems. :)

16. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    From having owned my former Maranello for 6 years and having repainted these grilles, I can tell you that there was a gap of 1-2mm between the mesh grille and the paint surface. They never came in contact with each other. From what I have seen, there is virtually no gap on the F12 between the grilles and the body, and it looks like body flex and heat induced size changes could possibly result in intermittent contact of the two dissimilar metals.

ScottS and Texas Forever like this.
  17. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    my car was just fixed by dealership. the steel black mesh is the original part there are no replacements. they did not add spacers to the mesh from the body. they did bend it a little to try and avoid the rubbing. the black mesh still touches the aluminum edge however. they did sand down most of the corroded areas and repainted the entire quarter panels and the edges of the cutout are all repainted. according to them that is the specific ferrari repair and if the bubbling forms again they will fix it again.

18. diplo526

diplo526 Karting

Jun 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sundip Kumar
    Hey guys sorry to dig this up.....the dealer I'm buying a 2017 27k car from isn't being clear about this issue...its a concern obviously but after poking repeatedly for assurance I want to confirm the warranty (power up) inevitably covers this issue if it comes up? Any help or advice is appreciated. Car has no issues now and is PPF'd so well maintained but no maintenance resolves this from the sounds of it.

19. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    sundip only the f dealer can tell u if they cover or not.
    but if i was you i would do the precautionary removal of grilles and clean metal if there is corrosion on the inside also add plastic spacers.

20. diplo526

diplo526 Karting

Jun 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sundip Kumar
    thats good advice - the dealer "assures" me its fine and it didn't affect 2017...gotta love a salesman but wanted to get any feedback available. This salesperson isn't helping the cause to mitigate the concern.

21. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It happens inMY 2016.

Was fine in October 2018 but showed in June 2019.
    Glad it wasn’t as I extended my warranty then...

22. diplo526

diplo526 Karting

Jun 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sundip Kumar
    the warranty covered it?

23. speedbird1000

speedbird1000 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008
    Europe
    Is that air vent for cooling exhaust? If so, water can only get in via rain or car washing... Nerds water to start the corrosion once metal to metal contact occurring.

24. jr-f12-15

jr-f12-15 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2020
    Tomball, TX
    Full Name:
    John Refalo
    Ok its been a bit of a wait but I got my F12 back today. All covered under warranty. Everything looks excellent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds and Gh21631 like this.
  25. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    That is good that they covered the repair.