Gremlins in my doorlocks...help please ! | FerrariChat

Gremlins in my doorlocks...help please !

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AndersJL, Jun 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndersJL

AndersJL Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2001
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    AL
    My door locks (especially passenger side) seem to have a Life of their own. I have cleaned and greased, but now when locking / unlocking using my remote Control, sometimes it worls, sometimes not. Sometimes it locks but after a second or so it unlocks..what to do ?

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a not entirely dissimilar issue with the doors on my 550. When I locked them, using remote or key, they would unlock about a second later. Sometimes! Intermittent faults are the worst.:(

Investigation revealed corroded connector plugs and brittle wiring inside both doors, necessitating a fair amount of replacement.

Qavion likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Strange. From your description, I'm not sure what is happening. In some cases, can you get one of your doors to actually remain locked, but the other not locked? Do the door locks work using the lock switches on door arm rests every time?

There are a number of things which might stop your door locking:
    Sometimes doorlocks will attempt to lock, but will unlock immediately if one door isn't properly closed and "latched". There is a sensor inside the doorlock (which sometimes fails).
    Sometimes a doorlock actuator is weak and won't move the actuator plunger far enough. In this case, the plunger will usually go back to it's original position (there is a spring in the actuator).

These lock systems are quite complex and difficult to diagnose. You may have to keep replacing parts until one fixes it. e.g. a doorlock actuator or a door latch ... or take the car to a dealer who has the appropriate diagnostic tools. According to the wiring diagrams, the Window/Door controller has a diagnostic port.

I haven't been able to figure out which microswitches/sensors correspond to those in the wiring diagrams yet... As you can see from the parts manual, there are quite a few

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-seat/550-maranello/doors-opening-control-and-hinges.html

4. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    My 550 had the same issue, no parts were needed, just cleaning and re-lubricating(not by me.....i'm useless)

Qavion likes this.
  5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    My technician regularly lubricates and Checks everything .... Never had a problem :)

6. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I have had exactly the same problem. It turned out to be the mechanism as seen in the diagram 118, items 27-30. This should move easily, but the grease that was in there was hardened so much that it barely moved. So took it apart (not difficult, but quite a bit of work, it requires removal of the door inside cover) cleaned the whole thing, new grease and it works likes a charm again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    When the door is locked with the remote on a 550, does the locking mechanism backdrive those linkages to the lock lever on the armrest, moving the lever? Is the lever a visual indication of a locked door like the buttons on the windowsills of other, "less exotic" cars"?

If so, it makes sense that those sticky linkages in Bert's image would interfere with the remote locking system. The electric actuator would have to fight the dried grease. I suppose in some cases, you could exercise the locking lever to loosen up the dried grease as a temporary measure. However, I believe there is a limit on the number of times you can do this, otherwise the electrical doorlocking system will be inhibited.

Anders, do you get the same intermittent behaviour if you use the electric doorlock switches?

When the door is manually locked using the armrest levers on the 550, does the electrical system assist the manual locking? I'm just wondering if it's the function of sensor in the armrest (part 22 in the diagram) to sense your intention to lock/unlock the door. On my 355, when you lock the door with the key, the electrical system assists the manual locking. Because there are so many components to move, it makes the locking process easier.

8. AndersJL

AndersJL Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2001
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    AL
    Guys, problem solved. Took it apart and cleaned old grease, relubricate and works fine niw. Thanks a lot to you all !

Qavion likes this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    :):)