488 - Looking to get a 488 or 720s. Have some questions. | FerrariChat

488 Looking to get a 488 or 720s. Have some questions.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Razzy, Jun 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Razzy

Razzy Rookie

Jun 3, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Riz
    Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if the post is a bit long.

I am currently looking to get my first supercar and have narrowed it down to either a pre-owned 720s or 488.

I recently drove a 720s at a local McLaren dealership, but did not get a chance to drive a 488 at the local Ferrari dealership as most of the 488’s they had were on consignment and because they had just gotten a F8 Tributo demo for a few days. So with only a limited time I couldn’t refuse their offer to drive the F8.

It is a fantastic car and I was told by the sales person at Ferrari that it is an improvement over the 488 but overall they are very similar by driving a 488 I should have a very close ballpark idea of how the 488 should be.

With that said, I also got a chance to drive the 720s and it too was great. I could speak to the differences in character and feel of each of the cars for days but for the sake of time, I will try and keep it brief.

Where I am, both the 720s and the 488 are in the similar price range and with each having their own pros and cons I am torn between which to go for.

The 720s is no doubt quicker and has better performance, but in my opinion the sound wasn’t as good and I felt a bit of turbo lag at lower rpm’s, especially in higher gears. The F8, felt more naturally aspirated in terms of throttle response in my short drive (I presume the 488 is similar). I also liked the brake feel on the Ferrari compared to the McLaren, which felt very heavy and dead/lacked any feel.

To me both the 720s and 488 look great, but I have to admit the 720s in the right colour combo simply looks astounding. The dihedral doors are also special.

Overall interior on both to me seems fine each with their own style, an edge to the McLaren in my view as I like the full digital dash compared to the Ferrari’s centre rev counter flanked by two displays.

So in short, do you think it is worth getting a used 488 even though a used 720s is ahead in performance and for the same price if not cheaper?

Also for the 488, are their specific “must-have” options? I know the lift is pretty much mandatory and the interior carbon is nice but what about the sport exhaust and hi-fi sound system?

For those of you that have had a 720s, if you have any insights that would also be appreciated.

I know I am on a Ferrari forum and I do feel a bit daft even asking these questions along with making any comparisons with another brand but I figure you all could shed some light in regards to what for me is a tough decision.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. 05 Ford GT

05 Ford GT Rookie

Feb 2, 2016
    Missouri USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Anderson
    Pm me, have experience with both cars! Mclaren is a bad ass car but company is very weak with support and the depreciation is killer. F cars are better built and more support.

Mike

Senna1994 and Viperjoe like this.
  3. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    There are a ton of threads on this exact subject. Do a simple search and you will find a ton of comments and opinions on it.

Viperjoe likes this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    720S.

06viper likes this.
  5. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Have you owned a 720s? or a 488?

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    There are so many comparison threads on these two I suggest you do a search.

7. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I’m just waiting for the “why not get a 458” reply. Lol

MANDALAY, v35, SoCal to az and 3 others like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #9 Shadowfax, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Don't worry it's coming. Just a matter of time and it will come in swinging like a baseball bat over the back of the head.

PS. OP I found the driving experience much as you found them. The 488 being the better sounding and more linear in power delivery and the Mac being the more dramatic visually and stronger performing overall. The mac is also more comfortable as well having the better seating and ergonomic. I guess if not having one and being faced with the decision today I would take the 720 as it represents more of a super-car than the 488 and is also a better buy for the money. Both have seen significant depreciation over a short period of time and represent very cheap buying given their original retail prices. That said I have noted the 720 has definitely held up better than the 488 which appears to be more price driven due to the larger numbers available for sale, and the fact it is also widely recognized now as being the lesser performing of the two.

720 is also still current where 488 is now clearly superseded by F8 which has aged it and definitely not helping it hold value least of all attraction given the performance difference.

I would also agree with your dealer that the differences between the later F8 and 488 are not very noticeable at regular driving speeds and trafficable conditions and, they are indeed very much the same car, in fact dare I say too much to warrant the significantly extra money. So again with 720 having better performance than both F8 and 488 and, having a far stronger visual impact as a supercar, the 720 would be the one I would go for on today's scale.

Good luck.

cy0811 likes this.
  9. Razzy

Razzy Rookie

Jun 3, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Riz

Thanks for the insights.

and to those asking me to search, thanks for the tip but I have read all the threads on this entire forum with anything to do with the 720s and 488 along with all the diatribe and drivel that has come with it. I should have mentioned that I had done my research but wanted some fresh and current perspective.

10. Razzy

Razzy Rookie

Jun 3, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Riz
    pm sent.

11. BLKBLK

BLKBLK Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2011
    Almost bought this gorgeous burton blue 720S last year. Test drove one and I could feel that its speed was in a different league than my 488 or Huracan. Upon returning to the dealer after the test drive, I was ready to throw an offer. However, as the sales person regressed out of the passenger seat and closed the door, the roof glass on his side cracked. The offer was never made and I just left the dealer. Never looked back since. Just my personal experience.

Senna1994 likes this.
  12. Razzy

Razzy Rookie

Jun 3, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Riz
    Yes I have heard of that issue. I drove one with the glass upper. Luckily no cracking while closing the doors.

13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I used to own a 488. Have traded it in for a Pista. Put 5k miles on the 488.

I still own my 720. Have no plans of selling it anytime soon. I owned the 720 and the 488 at the same time for about a year I think.

First of all, you need to drive the 488. It’s not an f8. F8 has more power. 488 is no slouch but it’s 60hp less.

720 by far is the faster, lighter more nimble car compared to the 488. It’s also visually more of a head turner but that is certainly subjective.

488 is louder. Turbo lag is similar on both.

if it’s me- I get the 720 over the 488. 720 and f8 different story. More evenly matched.

At the end of the day, you need to drive them both on the same day and compare apples to apples. Don’t buy a 488 having driven an f8. You will be sorely disappointed.

Good luck.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

SwissChris and IPO1 like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I used to own a 488. Have traded it in for a Pista. Put 5k miles on the 488.

I still own my 720. Have no plans of selling it anytime soon. I owned the 720 and the 488 at the same time for about a year I think.

First of all, you need to drive the 488. It’s not an f8. F8 has more power. 488 is no slouch but it’s 60hp less.

720 by far is the faster, lighter more nimble car compared to the 488. It’s also visually more of a head turner but that is certainly subjective.

488 is louder. Turbo lag is similar on both.

if it’s me- I get the 720 over the 488. 720 and f8 different story. More evenly matched.

At the end of the day, you need to drive them both on the same day and compare apples to apples. Don’t buy a 488 having driven an f8. You will be sorely disappointed.

Good luck.

15. Razzy

Razzy Rookie

Jun 3, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Riz
    thank you for sharing your experience. You make some great points. I drove the 720s right after driving The F8 and the 720s was bonkers when fully on it, where as the F8 felt great but I didn’t get to really open it up on a good stretch of road like the 720s.

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    F8 is not a 488. F8 is similar to 720. 720 blows 488 away. It’s not even close with regards to speed. Not saying 488 isn’t a great car. It’s amazing. But if you make make choose between 720 and 488, I’ll take a 720 hands down. If you make me choose an F8 or a 720- that is a much better comparison. Toss up for me at that point.

IPO1, Jo Sta7 and mkraft3003 like this.
  17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Why not get a 458?

I kid I kid! LOL

I agree with Socal between the 720 and 488 I would go 720. Between the 720 and F8 well I have an order on an F8 so that tells you my decision.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Get a 720S. It’s just a better car. If you get a bad one and it gives you issues Sell it and get an F8. The market will be flooded with F8s in 9 months.

tekaefixe, Shadowfax and carz80am like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Exactly. And the beauty of it is you won't lose much on the 720 in the meantime.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    we hope!

21. Razzy

Razzy Rookie

Jun 3, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Riz
    Thank you everyone for your honest and candid responses. I am pleased to say that I put a deposit down on a very very heavily optioned 720s .

Maybe some day I will be able to be a part of the Ferrari brand, which I have passionate about since I was a child.

Thanks again everyone.

SoCal to az and IPO1 like this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Just remember, pics or it doesn't exist! We need to see the finished result.

tekaefixe likes this.
  23. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Great choice! I’m hopping not to love a spider (to test in better sunny days since now it’s just rain) otherwise there we go again....

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Post details. spec, color, msrp, purchase price. You will love the car!