2012 California won’t turn over.. | FerrariChat

2012 California won’t turn over..

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by schumacherf2006, Jun 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have driven the car through out the day and now it won’t turn over.
    I turn the key and it goes through its system checks , once that’s done I push the button with my foot on the brake and it just clicks.

any advice would help! Thanks everyone

2. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    You bought a Cali?

GT

3. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It’s a friends

4. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I know it sounds boring but it sounds like a bad battery. I've had it happen before with an older battery. One min good, another bad but just enough power for gauges and such. That's all the advice I'm qualified to give. :)

GT

5. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris

I Am hoping that is the diagnosis. I will have access to a jump box tomorrow morning see if that will do the trick.

6. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Had this a number of times myself and agree with above. I am on my third new battery and it doesn't matter how long you run the car for, once the battery is shot that's it. In fact when it is really dead as a dodo even a jump will not start the car and one if not two battery packs are needed to get it to start. That's my experience anyway.

schumacherf2006 likes this.
  7. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    An old or weak battery tends to make the gremlins come out to play! Most owners have to replace them about every three years.

whatheheck and schumacherf2006 like this.
  8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Did you get an error message? I got a "starter failure" warning when I had this issue on a California T the day after I bought it. Turned out that the battery ECU was loose and not making good contact with the negative terminal of the battery and the battery was fine. The car was also not charging properly when running as a result. Replacing the ECU -- really just a plastic piece with a few fuses and terminals -- fixed my issue. It was not an expensive part. It had arced at some point in the past and melted the plastic a bit.

I was able to start the car easily with a Noco Genius Boost lithium battery, it was around $110 at AutoZone and I keep it in the car now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck and schumacherf2006 like this.
  9. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No error messages, just won’t turn over! Hey, I have the same jumper!
    Thank you

10. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you

11. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    How old is the battery?
    If it's 3 years old or older time for a new one.

I have a 2016 Cali T. Dealer told me if the car won't be driven for over a week to keep it hooked up to a tender as these cars consume a good amount of battery power when parked and not driven.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    it’s a few years old. The car sat for a few days not on any type of tender , fired right up, drive it all day and then it won’t turn over.
    We tried jumping it and from a jump box. Nothing.
    I still think the battery is shot for some reason.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I vaguely recall - very vaguely - that someone had a similar issue, but they were not mashing on the brake pedal hard enough. Or something was loose. I agree sounds like a bad battery, but perhaps worth a long shot. Good luck...T

15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If it's a Ferrari factory battery, I would get rid of it and put in an Odyssey or an Interstate.

The nice thing about the Cali T is the charger just attaches above the license plate magnetically, unlike the original Cali where you had to pop the trunk, plug it in and either leave the lid ajar or route the wire carefully over the seal and close the trunk. I leave the T on the charger all the time and would recommend doing that.

One other difference is the original California would warn you and refuse to start if you tried to fire it up with the charger attached, and the T will not do that, it will start right up and you can drive merrily on your way. The good news is the magnetic lead will just pull off the car instead of staying attached and yanking the outlet out of the wall ;) But something to be aware of.

schumacherf2006 and whatheheck like this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    put all ur weight on the brake pedal...the brake pedal sensor cld be going...

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Before I took ownership with the car being 4 years old I asked the dealer to replace the battery and they did.

They installed an Interstate battery. I was happy about that as I've never had any anomaly issues with Interstate batteries in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. schumacherf2006

Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Official:

the cars battery was drained, but not dead. It caused a short and wouldn’t allow the car to start. Mechanic traced the short and installed a new battery.... and it runs as it should!

thank you all for the advice! It helped make this go quicker.

SLViper1, tomc and whatheheck like this.
  19. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer

Thanks for the warning, I assumed my Cali T would not start on the charger, now I'll hang a mask on a shifter paddle to remind me...