AustrianGP 2020 Pre-Race thread | FerrariChat

AustrianGP 2020 Pre-Race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    paulchua, E60 M5, stavura and 4 others like this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Alright! It's so nice to see a pre-race thread again. Thanks for posting.

DF1, 375+ and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I'm glad to see that the GP2 season will be starting in Austria.

I expect to follow the Mick Schumacher v. Robert Schwartzman duel, Germany against Russia.

Most of the GP2 races are in Europe too. Since GP2 is a specs series, it's level playin field, and with far less politics than F1.

pilotoCS likes this.
  4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Dude . . . at this point, it's all good!

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I finally can post - GO BOTTAS lol :)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    So nice to see racing coming back. I really missed my Monaco Memorial Day Weekend. Forza Ferrari, Leclerc, and Vettel.

F2003-GA, paulchua, stavura and 2 others like this.
  7. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Hey Seb....Toto is "monitoring" you, so you better not spin out of the track !

F2003-GA, paulchua and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149790/f1-clamps-down-further-on-engine-trickery

The FIA has moved to further clamp down on engine tricks in Formula 1, as teams begin gearing up for the resumption of racing.

Amid a renewed focus on engine behaviour in the wake of the controversy over Ferrari's powerunit last season, motor racing's governing body has moved to close down potential grey areas in the rules that teams could be exploiting.

Autosport understands that the FIA's attention with the latest clarifications is on two specific areas: oil burning and ERS power sensors.

On the oil burning front, teams were already facing tougher rules for 2020 as part of a push by the FIA to stop teams using oil as fuel.

They were to be restricted to an oil consumption limit of 0.3 litres per 100 kilometres of running.

Now in a move to ensure that teams are not finding ways to get around that limit, the FIA is reserving the right to introduce strict controls on how the oil is measured and the systems sealed prior to cars running on track.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

On the energy recovery front, the FIA is increasing efforts to monitor electrical power distribution of the energy recovered by the ERS through an updated sensor that will be fitted to the leading cars at the start of the season.

There had been suspicions in recent years that teams had found ways to cleverly get around limits laid out in the amount of power that can be used to help boost their performance.

While Ferrari has been the main focus of engine intrigue since the private deal it reached with the FIA last year over its 2019 powerunit, it is understood that the latest tweaks are not aimed at the Italian manufacturer.

In fact, the extra checks come on the back of what has been hailed by the FIA as a fresh level of co-operation between the governing body and Ferrari in helping better police engines since last year's affair.

In a statement issued when the private settlement between the FIA and Ferrari was reached, it said: "The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 power units for forthcoming championship seasons."

The FIA has also sent out a technical directive clarifying details on fuel flow meter readings in the mid-range of the engine to ensure teams are fully complying with any limitations.

Furthermore, a note has been sent out regarding the homologation of equipment for pit stops.

paulchua likes this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Max & Albon will also be testing in F2 cars.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #12 Nembo1777, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Sooo happy racing is returning. I have dreamed of going for fourty years but now that I can every year there is a *&^^% obstacle to me going to Zeltweg (I refuse the red cow name imposed upon it, sorry Mr Mateschitz) either it clashes with Le Mans Classic or the Chantilly concours or something else...this year it clashes with nothing but...no public and not even media allowed (I have done a lot of Le Mans, Le Mans classic and other events as media but just one GP with media pass, Imola 1999 for Cavallino) so I am wondering if I should put camouflage gear and hide in a tree at the circuit:D.

Here is a decades old aerial view of the full lenght wonderful old Zeltweg:) This appears to be when they were building the only chicane at the top of the pit straight.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua, amerikalei and Bas like this.
  11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Leclerc and Vettel will each get a day in the 2018 Ferrari SF71-H as a warm-up for the season ahead. This test session will be an opportunity to allow the team staff to evaluate the new anti-Covid procedures introduced by the FIA to regulate the behavior in the pits and pit-lane.

12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Shoot. Seems as though TSN aren’t covering the race up here. They’re still showing last year’s races and a few years prior.

Wish they could HD some of the 80’s early 90’s races (and the pre-quali/quali lion’s den just to make the top 26..) and air those.

Damn, just realized I have one foot in the curmudgeon pool.

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Don't forget your wellies.

Isobel likes this.
  14. DF1

Nembo1777 and Bas like this.
  15. DF1

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolff-new-lewis-hamilton-deal/

Toto Wolff reckons he’ll have a new contract with Lewis Hamilton ironed out “pretty soon” after the 2020 season begins in July.

The 35-year-old Brit is out of contract with Mercedes at the end of this season and had been linked to a move to Ferrari.

Those rumours ended when the Scuderia announced Carlos Sainz as Charles Leclerc’s 2021 team-mate.

With Ferrari off the table, Hamilton is widely expected to agree a new deal with Mercedes for at least two years.

Wolff, though, has yet to cover the details with the six-time World Champion.

“We didn’t see each other over lockdown, we were in different parts of the world but in regular contact,” revealed the Mercedes motorsport boss.

“We didn’t work on any agreement between us but there is a lot of trust.

“We’ve been together for a long time and never in this time did we have to take the contract out and actually read what was written because it comes so naturally.

“Once racing resumes we will spend some time together, take the contract out of the cupboard, look at the timings, the numbers, the rights, and hopefully have something pretty soon.”

The big question many are now asking is who will partner Hamilton at Mercedes come 2021.

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    DF1 likes this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    keeping Vettel this year is a huge mistake if he doesn't want to retire.
    Hope the car isn't as bad it seems otherwise this will be 1991 again !

william likes this.
  18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Announcing that Vettel would be leaving when the season hadn't even started was a wrong move on Ferrari's part.
    He is now left with no illusion, has nothing to lose and could become undisciplined.
    What happens if he goes rogue on them and spoils Leclerc's chances to shine?

Bas likes this.
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    He will be fired before the season's end.
    Slightly off topic , Binotto announced today in Italian press that the Ferrari we will see in Austria will be the same as February tests.
    Hope he is bluffing but if this statement is true I will start to believe he is too soft for the job..

Nembo1777 and Bas like this.
  20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    How is that different than any other race from any other year?

DF1, jpalmito, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agreed
    Meanwhile....Red Bull announced they're coming to Austria with an improved car... If both statements are true Ferrari truly is lost.
    Lol:D

22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    True with the exception of spa 2019

23. DF1

Yes good point. What image does he want or leave with for now.......very good inisght Bas!! This will be something very interesting to watch lol :)