355 gas tank filler cover | FerrariChat

355 gas tank filler cover

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by felix66, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Can anyone help with what is likely to be something daft/easy to sort please?

My filler cover does not release using the console button - not a real problem since I don't really feel I need an excuse to opent he lid on the engine! However, I am sure its just a fuse or somehting but need some help locating it. Have checked the owners handbook but cannot find it listed.

Anyone know?

Thanks

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    You should be-able to find this information in your handbook, I don't have a US spec book, however for a European car it is protected with a 15amp fuse in position number "18" which in turn is switching a relay (Bosch 0 332 019 103) position "O".

It more than likely is a blown fuse but it could be the relay, the switch, the solenoid that operates the filler flap or a simple wiring fault.

Hope this helps

MW

3. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    felix66,

I had the same problem. It bothered me a little, but is was in fact only a lubricaton issue (in my case).

If you can hear the "click" when you press console button, then there can be nothing wrong with the fuse or anything too technical for that matter.

Your fuel cover is probably stuck with the plastic cover over the fuel cap. It is a pure mechanical issue. Press that button again, then try to open the cover from the outside with something like a toothpick (you will probably need an extra pair of hands). Once it flicks open, lubricates the joints. It should work fine thereafter.

Don't go to the dealer for this.

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes, listen for the click. If the solenoid clunks when you press the button, its probably fine.

I thought mine had gone wrong, but the catch on the filler was catching on the rubber flap that goes over the filler cap, like Mickey's. Just arrange the rubber flap before you close the filler lid so it doesn't get caught on the lid's catch.

Robert.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Whoa, don't use a toothpick. It can be a bunch of things. I just finished adjusting the cover on my 348. The 355 is the same for this. If you hear the click and it doesn't open, pop the engine cover and use the maunal gas lid opener. If you don't here a click and the fuse checks out okay it could be a loose connector. If that's what it turns out to be. Check the connection inside the car. If you need to get to the solenoid, it is up under the left fender. You have to take off the left rear wheel, then the wheel well liner, to get to it. Now if everything is working fine when the cover is open, it could need to be realigned. There are two screws on the inside of the cover. Loosen those then adjust the cover until it pops open. As mickey said it may just need to be lubricated. Anyway hope the info helps.

6. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Use the tooth pick with the engine compartment release - the plastic drip sheet inside the cover gets caught in the release mechanism - simple to free when lifted with a toothpick. It happens to me about once in 20 times.