Anyone have a new windshield installed lately? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone have a new windshield installed lately?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraritalian, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok I’ll chime in my experience. To my experience the windshield replacement is purely a hit or miss kind of thing. Some people have good luck with the fitment on their first try and some have to go through a few try/windshield before they can find one that fit. Unfortunate for me, it took me six windshield from different brand and from different part of the world and nearly nine months until the 7th windshield I ordered from GT Car Parts made in Australia by PGI Glass came and long and behold, it fit. Pics below shows the different windshield I’ve tried and shows how way off the curvature are. So the new glass may not be original and it may not say Sigla on it but I’m very happy and satisfied with it, actually to me, it looks better than the original but that’s just me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dane and 308 milano like this.
  2. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #27 miketuason, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Dane and 308 milano like this.
  3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    So.. Given Rjlloyd and Mike’s experience, (and I owning a body shop for 25 years.)I would search out ONLY original Saint Gobain glass or PGI glass from Australia.. Rjlloyd didn’t mention manufacture but couldn’t help but notice he’s from Brisbane Australia. 2cts

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Very big “thank you”to Mike for documenting his experience and posting it here.

Dane likes this.
  5. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    This is what I used on my car, fitted perfectly, got mine from Walkersport in the UK at £360

6. sstefan

sstefan Rookie

Oct 20, 2016
    austria
    No postage - collect only

7. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would agree, but the factory story I was told was explaining why the replacement original windshields the person bought didn’t fit.

Just repeating what I was told, I have no further info.

8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have seen an original windshield I mean original removed from a wreck 308 to be installed on another 308 and it didn’t fit.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The hell? lol....

10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yup! I’m telling you not all 308 are the same, there are little variations between 308s. This is what makes our car special, each one has its own attitude. :)

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I mean.. i knew "hand-built" and all that... but I sort of assumed that the difficulty in sourcing replacement glass was poor reproductions skills of the supplier - not the potential impossibility of matching a "one off" vehicle.

(And my windshield does need replacement. This thread just depresses me...)

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thorn don’t let this thread put you down, as I said it’s a hit or miss thing, you still have a high chance that the first windshield you’ll try will fit but if it doesn’t there will be one out there that will. By the way, when I told my insurance that my windshield broke, they said not to worry as they will pay for everything, and that’s when I decided to take it to a Ferrari dealership and since I took mine the F dealership, they are responsible for ordering the windshield and returning them back if it doesn’t fit no matter how many times it took, in my case seven times and I didn’t spend one penny and that’s for both the windshield and the installation. So I suggest to contact you insurance Co. and ask if they will pay for replacing your windshield and they should.

13. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Yup, what Mike says. Hagerty said I could do what I wanted to do as much as it cost. I opted for the factory windshield order and it worked for me. Like Mike if it didn’t fit then they could return it and get another. No additional windshields owned by me at any time.

14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #40 308 milano, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    OK guys think about this for a minute. If these cars were made so that 3” Variance in windshield structure was acceptable ,That would also mean the front cowl wouldn’t fit. Dash wouldn’t fit correctly. Targa roof gaps wouldn’t be even.etc. And given the fact that 3” variance in a distance of 4’ was acceptable, then windshield rake probably wasn’t a big concern either, in which case slide glass and frame wouldn’t fit ... And the list goes on. The assembly line would grab a dash for install then pull the pad and covering off of it, trim it an inch or two to fit the vehicle then pull the vinyl back around, staple it and install? Ferrari would’ve had 100 pieces of front glass sitting around that they would grab a glass and replace until they found one to fit? Come on
    Way easier to make everything uniform and fit correctly the first time then go through this scenario time and again..

15. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Kim, I don’t what samN is talking about on post#18 but 3” is unheard of and that is definitely the windshield or the company that made it flaw and nothing to do with body, but if you’re talking about half an inch to an inch different, then it can be both the glass and/or the body. When I was looking for the windshield everybody that I talk to said that’s what they have been selling and it fit great but it didn’t fit mine, so if what they’re telling me is true the it has to be the car otherwise why would one glass fit in one 308 but not the other 308?

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Mike good morning. I understand what you’re saying but in Post # 26, 4th. Picture for example, shows a glass that looks to be almost 2+ inches short in length. That’s an incorrect dimensional glass issue. Like I stated in my first post, you will see between an 1/8” to 1/4”variance in vehicles and that goes for windshield frames as well. Vehicles usually have a 1/4” rubber pad placed around the opening pinch weld and then when placing the windshield you put a quarter inch bead of windshield urethane on top of that. This allows you some adjustment for frame discrepancy. Pushing a glass down tight to the pinch mold on one side will obviously raise it an inch off the pinch weld on the other. The real trick is getting your trim pieces to fit correctly so it’s important to seek out and installer with years of experience. I truly believe 99% Of the issue is improper dimensional glass. In the end, I’m glad you found a glass that fit your vehicle!

pshoejberg and miketuason like this.
  17. bowman

bowman Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Benoni South Africa
    Full Name:
    Grant Adams
    Howzit all - been on forum for a while - dont post but so much info- I bought a gt4 14 years ago.in boxes and have learnt many things but I have been doing windscreens for 31 years and in south africa - people dontknow about gt4's here and parts and info are so scarce - I eventually found a windscreen for my car and paid $100 for it landed in SA - took me forever to make sure it was correct but it fits like a glove - obviously not original and made in China but compared to prices like $ 900 plus shipping I was really happy - plenty research but it can be done - dont have a.beading for.it though but eventually will get one

308 milano likes this.
  18. bowman

bowman Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Benoni South Africa
    Full Name:
    Grant Adams
  19. bowman

bowman Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Benoni South Africa
    Full Name:
    Grant Adams
    Done a BMW i8 and lost a small cover on.cowling - cost me $200 just to replace cap - have a extra cowling without cap though LOL

20. bowman

bowman Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Benoni South Africa
    Full Name:
    Grant Adams
    Old windscreens- sorry I mean older cars were fitted with "kit " as we called it - modern glass guys will.say if it has a black band it must be "glued" in or polyurethane as we call it - not the case - older cars without black bands on glass must be fitted with kit but that's just experience with these vehicles

308 milano likes this.
  21. bowman

bowman Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Benoni South Africa
    Full Name:
    Grant Adams
    Howzit -
    Did some digging on 308 - 328 windscreens
    Checked eurospares first and every 308 328 GTB GTS all have same part number for windscreen 60019908 - obviously there clear and tinted shade band etc etc
    From that it seems all the windscreens should be the same and according to supplier they are all the same also
    308 GTB GTS
    Width 1407 mm
    Height 817
    Diagonal 1320
    308 GT4
    Width 1556
    Height 813
    Diagonal 1438

Added photo for GT4 windscreen tape shows where I measured the width - usually bottom corners is widest part of glass

Hope this helps
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thank you Grant. Sounds like the main issue owners are running into is glass curvature (arc) is incorrect. I’m probably wrong (usually am) but I just cannot see a windscreen frame varying over 1/4”. Had some time this week and looked at some very poor quality video footage of the 308/328 assembly line and all our cars are placed in jigs Before weld up. Would be great if we could find a simple way to validate glass arc before it shipped.

308Dadoo and Ferraritalian like this.
  23. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Praying for my crack not to get worse...

308 milano likes this.