Choosing a boat | FerrariChat

Choosing a boat

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by I.T. Guy, Jun 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I started googling, reading boating magazines, and learning about boats. I need some help.

Usage will be weekends on Lake Ontario. I have a marina to walk to, will be renting a slip if this happens and I think there's a service here that puts them in and out of the water and stores for winter. I'm already a member of the yacht club so just need to pay for slip rental.

Kids want Jet Ski's.
    I want a big block speed boat.
    Wife wants air conditioning.

I've been looking at Donzi 27's etc but that's probably just selfish. Man they sound good.
    Yamaha 242's look like a great compromise but have little shade, no AC.
    The wife's AC wish seems to push into motor-yacht territory = way to much boat, $$$, slow.

Am I missing a niche that exists that could make everybody happy?

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
  3. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    How much cover and AC is your wife looking for? Is she actually wanting a cabin or just a place to get out of the sun and feel the AC while underway? That will really drive the direction you go. Happy wife = happy life.

NYC Fred and I.T. Guy like this.
  4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    #4 slm, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    We have been boating as a family for many years. A few thoughts:

Set you budget.

what do you want to do with it? Skiing, tubing, cruising?

Whatever you do, get a boat your wife will enjoy being on. My first boat was a big performance cat. I loved it. She did not. We got a new boat.

if you are going out on the big lake, you will want something sizable maybe 30 ft or bigger. (I grew up on Lake Michigan).

There are some nice performance cruisers out there.

If you can, rent some boats and see how they fit.

5. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    ^^^^^^^

Some solid advice to follow. I have owned boats most of my life. Boats are always a compromise when you start considering family member preferences. A go boat is not a family boat and what you will find is that you are the only one using it unless you have some guy friends.

In regards to AC.....why have an open cockpit boat if you want to spend time in the cabin with AC......again it just is the wrong approach as is the jetski since a larger boat is required to carry it. If you plan on entertaining, a head (bathroom) is the most important thing to have.

Walk the docks, go to a couple of boat shows, talk to owners and narrow down a few manufacturers that meet the short list.

6. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    What was it ?

MDS

7. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks - I think I need a compromise boat

I'll dig deeper. I'm pretty sure she means multi-million-dollar yacht. See Budget.

Thank you

Budget is non existent, I'm hoping well under $100,000. My place is on the entrance to the Marina so I've been writing down and googling boat names all day. This is like not knowing a Mustang is $30,000 and a Bentley is $300,000, or what a GT, Sedan, or Sports car is. "That looks good! Do you have A/C?" LOL. Talk about learning curve.

Last year a guy at the marina sold his cigarette "My wife never goes out with me." so I get that. And as I type this something with big blocks is idling buy -it sound fantastic! :D

30+ I heard that too big a big lake. But what if I just hop from marina to marina staying close to shore? Bigger boats more money all around. I don't think I can afford one. I have heard how sketchy it can get on the great lakes in minutes so it's definitely something to thing about.

My son and I just walked the marina I wrote down some more models. Amazing they "look" the same and range from thousands to millions. I guess just like cars.

8. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

That's fun to do. Next.....put him to work on thesaltydog.com, yachtworld and a few websites to check out prices.

I would think a 28-32' cabin cruiser would be the compromise ticket. It is in your price range has a couple of small or big blocks on board, ac, head and is fun for overnights and entertaining. In this range....Sea Ray, Bayliner, Maxum should all be reasonably priced. Sea Ray has built solid boats for a long time and they hold their value.

LARRYH likes this.
  9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    32 DCB

10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Cabin cruiser. Thank you! He’s looking up “Sea Ray Cabin Cruiser” now.

Other names we wrote down:

320 Sundancer (Sea Ray!)
    Cruiser Yachts
    Doral Nova Grand
    Maxum
    Four wins
    Carver
    Cobalt - I googled before too much $$

Thank you again for the direction

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

INRange likes this.
  11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    LARRYH likes this.
  12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have a feeling your wife is just like mine. I took her out on Lake Michigan, just cruising by the shoreline and even the little swells made a in easy. Now, we were in a 25 foot ski boat. However, things can get rough pretty quick and even in calm weather, big lake water can be much rougher than it looks on shore. I would only go out in the big water in a small boat if it was absolutely calm. I wouldn’t go that far either. I think you need a good size boat. As others above have said a cabin cruiser is a good choice. Also a bit of a compromise might be something like a formula fasttech. You can get a 35-40 foot for less than 100k. They look great, go quick, and have a nice cabin. Also remember, those really cool sounding engines suck gas like you would not believe. As you know, lots to consider. I think walking around your marina and asking questions is a good idea. Bring your wife. If folks are on their boat, feel free to ask questions. Boat people like to talk about their boats more than Ferrari people like to talk about their Ferraris.

LARRYH and I.T. Guy like this.
  13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    LARRYH likes this.
  14. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yup re: wife.

And I watch the boats get tossed around slapping hard realizing it looks “calm”.

Unfortunately our club seems very cliquey and old school. We tried to break in three years ago, last year, and gave up this year. Maybe having a boat will help make friends.

15. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    INRange likes this.
  16. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Boats are an endless source of endless positive chatter at a yacht club and an easy social in. It's not about politics or polarizing subjects it all about what do you have planned, how did a trip go, what broke, who's a good source for this or that service and on and on. A high quality boat at a yacht club or boating scenario always draws convo regardless of size. We had a 32 Whaler and my wife used to laugh at the number of people that would come up and start talking about how great whalers are. Just out of the blue.

LARRYH, Texas Forever and MWHC4S like this.
  17. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Buy two. One for speed and one for the family

I’ve always wanted a supercharged picklefork
    Hydro but always had a family I loved.

NYC Fred, tantumaude and I.T. Guy like this.
  18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've spent a fair amount of time on Lk Erie, never on anything bigger than 25ft. Been out in all kinds of weather, including getting caught in fast moving squall lines at night. It can go from calm to rough to calm in a matter of minutes, but I never felt as I was in danger. The thing about the lakes, especially Lk Erie being the shallowest, is that they get choppy. Short wavelength waves vs rollers. A big bonus in water like that is beam. Wider the better. Also the shape of the bow and how it rides going upwind. Some boats cut through the waves while others ride up and down. Some boats can be very wet while others have good overhang on the front to direct water sideways. Only way to be sure about ride quality is to test drive in crappy conditions. Don't rely on what others say.

A/C is for sitting in a marina;)

19. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  20. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I had a go on one just a few weeks ago. They're a lot of fun and very light, but I was very disappointed in the power options...90hp engine tops? I use a yamaha SHO most weekends which has 230hp...we had a little race and the seadoo sticks with it on initial acceleration (much lighter weight!) but after 35mph or so it got left behind like it was standing still.

I really liked the Seadoo's lightness, which not only made it a lot of fun on waves but also comes in very handy when it's left on the beach and tide goes out a bit...I can easily put it back in the water by myself. The waverunners? Fat chance! That seadoo deserves at least their 170 engine if not the 230...it would be the perfect ski!

22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    This s should take care of the ac and speed. I think we have a member on here that has something similar.

Island Time and LARRYH like this.
  23. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Wow!!! Couldn’t find a 8X Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Some one asked what would I do after COVID restrictions loosened, I said, idk, but something impulsive and expensive. So I just closed on a 2007 Boston Whaler 270 Outrage for my daughter and her fiancé, with me and my wife as frequent passengers. Looking forward to trips to Catalina, San Clemente Island and occasional trip to MX for some big game fishing. We are taking a couple of weeks to bring the boat back to new with multiple upgrades and needed maintenance. For the OP, hire a good surveyor and power guy. Be prepared to spend $$ to get the boat perfect or near perfect.

Good luck to the OP on your search,

MB

LARRYH, I.T. Guy and Ianjoub like this.
  25. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Awesome!

I have a beer budget. Every time I see something I like and google it I’m amazed how pricey it is.