Another cracked Tubi Muffler - 2.5 years old | FerrariChat

Another cracked Tubi Muffler - 2.5 years old

Discussion in '360/430' started by gatago, Jun 6, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Driving around today, started hearing a rattle. Isolated the rattle to 1900 & 2500 RPM, not dependent on gear, acceleration, etc. Got home looked over entire exhaust, looking for lose bolts/heat shields everything nice and tight (I check this stuff spring and fall).

Basically isolated it to the muffler, and can stop the rattle with a hand on the exhaust tips. Mufflers are 2.5 years old.

This crap irritates the hell out of me. I guess I'll spend the day tomorrow removing the F'n bumper and muffler to see if I can find the exact crack location.

Just a data point out there for those looking into aftermarket exhaust.

2. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    I know you checked already, but my tubi had a little rattle. Turn out one of the tips was coming loose. Just a little spot weld took care of it.

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing.

Is your car a 360 or an F430?

4. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    F430. Fabspeed headers, stock cat. No valves.

haven’t checked yet, but I’m hoping that’s it. It might be internal though since everything looks tight without actually taking it off the car.

Why do people buy these again? $5k, obviously issues with cracking, and piss poor customer service?

5. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Complaints about Tubi are rare. This is the first one that I have noticed.

sparetireless, whatheheck and Skidkid like this.
  6. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    They are rare because not many people buy expensive mufflers, but if you search for tubi rattle or tubi cracks, there are lots, especially considering the low volume and high prices.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Not sure where you are searching but I read this forum a lot and have for years. ItalGerBit is right, complaints are very uncommon and there a LOT of them in service in the US (it is not a rare muffler as you suggest). Even a search here doesn't produce much so .....

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I had Tubi on my 360 and I had zero issues.

sorry to hear about your experience with them.

9. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Search here doesn’t produce much. Broad internet search does.
    I’m not arguing in favor of not buying from Tubi, I’m just adding a datapoint. Do your own research and make you’re own decision. Not all companies are perfect.

btw, failure is at secondary exhaust tip and it’s bracket to primary
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

brookliner7 likes this.
  10. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Is that a picture of your Tubi? If so, I have seen my first cracked Tubi. But, it is on a 430, with Fabspeed headers, and stock 430 Cat. Humm? My experience using Tubi on TR for 9 years and 360 for 8 has been perfect. Never a single problem. Maybe you just had bad luck?

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    +1. Zero issues with the Tubi on my 360 for ten years at this point.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

12. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    yeah I’m not worried about the defect, things happen. I am worried about the warranty policy. You have to purchase a new one, send yours back to Italy (on your dime) and if they decide to be nice, they refund the second one you buy, but not shipping.

maybe this works for folks in Europe, but it’s easier/cheaper to just pay a welding shop to fix it here.
    I just finished welding mine up and am about to go on a test drive(my favorite part)

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Interesting, That is a center line cracked. Not particularly common and tend to be caused by a narrow but deep welds. Given the materials and how that weld looks it doesn't have that characteristic. So, I am not sure what would cause that crack. Then again I am far from an expert on welding.

There are a couple of other Ferrari websites, they don't produce much with a search. I also searched Ferrari Tubi weld crack on the web and produced virtually nothing. So I am not sure where you are searching but it just isn't turning up as a common issue. For the record: I had a Tubi on my 360. It was there when I got the car and it is still on the car (2 years after I sold). I had the car for almost 13 years so that is over 15 years on that muffler without any issues.

14. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Marco, I think maybe it was just bad luck and re-welding is what I would do(I have the Tig and stainless back purge rig) but I think the offer from Tubi to return for inspection and credit you for the new one is more than fair. Seems to me that they want to investigate the failure and that speaks well for Tubi. To be done right, the stainless must be back purged to get a good weld and the welders fee might exceed the shipping fee for the new Tubi.
    Please give us a report on the repaired muffler along with pictures and your welders comments on why the OEM weld might have failed. Many of us are curious about that failure. Good luck. It will get done despite the frustration and aggravation. Compared to the more common F1 and top problems, cracked muffler is nothing.

Need4Spd and Skidkid like this.
  15. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Mine cracked too, I welded and back on the road

tubi is awseome, nothing compares, i tried the CS from Ferrari, its way too loud on a spyder

16. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Your problem

17. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco

Sorry, I already welded it, put it back on the car and went for a 4 hour drive, didn't think to take pictures. If the bumper/exhaust is ever off again, I'll try to remember to take some pictures, but it came out pretty clean (not a welder, I'm an engineer). I have the correct set up to weld SS but thanks for posting the tips, it'll be very helpful to anyone in the future that considers welding their own exhaust (any brand) I think they all are SS for our cars so they don't mess something up trying to DIY.

The weld is at the where the exhaust tip meets the muffler, that is not point with much stress on it. It's hard to see but the second crack was at the bracket connecting the two tips, and not at the weld. The bracket itself cracked. I did consult with a friend who happens to be a ME and serious welder (on the side) on why he thought it would fail and he said only 2 reasons, poor material properties, or bad craftsmanship. He didn't think it would be possible for a properly welded component or 1/8" bracket to both fail due to vibration alone, especially since the system is suspended via rubber dampeners (hangers).

I probably just drew the short straw, and assume my muffler was fabricated by the italian guy who had one too many glasses of wine at lunch before he got started mine. Also, I don't agree with you about their return policy. That is a Tubi muffler with a Tubi serial number and obvious Tubi defect. I don't want to give them any my money, and I don't trust that they would honor the warranty and refund me. I rather purchase mufflers from someone else, not be forced to buy more of their product.

18. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    haha! which is the problem, the fact that I own a 430 or have fabspeed headers?!

I'm loving owning the 430, so much fun to drive and work on. I cringe every time I had to work on a Porsche or even my wife's Prius! The headers are doing pretty well, no issues so far. No codes thrown and no melted cables, ect and I like to go on long spirited drives.

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  19. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    GaTago, thanks for the report and glad that you fixed it. Especially since you did it yourself. Tig welding is difficult but very rewarding to see stacked dimes.

20. tifosi101

tifosi101 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    France