Fun drag race video | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fun drag race video

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jun 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So the video of cars drag racing is what it is. I take nothing from that video in terms of what is a better car simply because of drag times. I own two of the cars and I will tell you that I love them both. Pista and 720 are amazing. Lambo, I just don't fit in so I have no comment on that car. Anyone would be lucky to own any of those cars.

Having said that, it is interesting how the respective companies have approached their vehicles in marketing to the public.

Lambo has not updated the gearbox in the Aventador- nor the looks- I couldn't tell a 2013 Aventador with a 2020. They look the same- outrageous - they are loud and they have the most presence when a car pulls up. Nothing makes a statement like pulling up in a Lambo and its that statement that they use to sell their cars. No one buys and Aventador because its the fastest- it isn't. They buy it because there isn't a person in the world that asks- what car is that. they know its a lambo.

Mclaren has just focused on all out speed. Straighline speed is what Mclaren wants to be known for and their 720 is a milestone achievement in the supercar world. Prior to the 720 you couldnt get that kind of performance without spending a million plus. Mclaren has raised the bar with speed. They do need to work on quality control and reliability as the early 12C cars has really hurt their reputation. The newer cars are much much better but you do get more issues with them than Ferraris per say. Personally Ive had zero issues but you do hear things more about Mclaren unfortunately than others.

Ferrari has basically staked its history to sell cars. their pedigree. They dont care to be the fastest, or the most outrageous looking. They are basically saying, I'm a ferrari- I dont care if you like me because I have a line of people out the door who want to buy my cars. Good or bad, it seems that they are going this route. As was pointed out earlier- they had a benchmark in the 720 to try to beat and they couldn't (wouldn't) do it.

Having said all that- if you are a car junky, all this stuff is great because the companies push each other and in the end we have more choices as consumers to choose from.

2. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    So the general consensus here is that “no one” (pun intended I kind of miss the guy) drives their Ferrari in auto mode. How many of you drive your Porsche’s and Macs in auto? Couldn’t it just be Ferrari’s choice to not overengineer auto mode to make it so perfect that the paddles would be pointless? I.e. the don’t give a crap about dialing in auto mode because they don’t want anybody to use it? If auto mode effectively makes the car slower, as Porsche would readily admit ... isn’t that in some way a bad thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t use it in the mclaren either. The Porsche pdk is usable but I haven’t owned a Porsche in a few years so take it with a grain of salt.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #29 Shadowfax, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    There are times when I drive my gt cars in auto and frankly I find it very convenient at times particularly in traffic situations and the cars are an absolute pleasure in every sense. There is not one thing that doesn't work in the cars to absolute perfection and the owners have full choice to how they use and drive their cars they have their paid good money for.

The Pista or 488 no. There is no point driving either in auto as it's so terribly bad it's borderline unusable. The point here is that at this price point it is completely unacceptable. Much the same as the clumsy MI and other controls and features supplied in the car which are at best considered substandard even in comparison to what you'd get in a Korean car. Basically you pay a premium price expecting a complete package but wind up finding you only get an incomplete package. There is really no need for anyone to make up excuses or guesses on Ferrari's behalf - seems to be a common go to for some - because the bottom line is everything in the car should be working at its optimum and it isn't. Nor is the car a complete package.

To pay premium for something that is incomplete and only partially working is unacceptable particularly when others are able to provide a fully working package and properly sorted out car for less money.

With my GT2 or 3 I don't need to go to novitec or others to waste my valuable time and more money on lowering it or f/ing around with the exhaust or having to have it remapped - destroying the warranty in the process - so it can even take an exhaust upgrade to make it sound proper, so why should I have to with my Ferrari? What a joke. No wonder they are constantly getting spanked now....along with certain owners who seem to like getting pantsed for the sake of owning a luxury brand that only partially works. I will never get why some owners incessantly try and make excuses for these obvious shortfalls....makes no logical sense.

Ash Patel likes this.
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I would like to say 3 words

PANEL GAP MCLAREN !

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #31 Shadowfax, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    It seems you can get a good one or a bad one but in general the gaps are very good, but the paint finish is better than Ferrari from what I've noticed. The main issue appears to be electronics particularly on the 570 where you can get into the car and it just wont start without a few systems reboots. Seems to happen more when the car gets hot. That said 488 can let you down as well. You can get into that car and it wont start because the battery has fallen over (again ) - even though the charger is showing all lights on. I always get a but nervy when getting into the Ferrari to start it especially if its been sitting for a week or two. It's like please don't let me down again. Especially when you are on a time deadline meet up for drive with a few buds. So you get in, push the start button and hope for the best. Touch wood I've had no events so far in the Pista even though I've been advised by the techs the battery is more vulnerable to failure. You could be on the money with the faulty wiring which won't let go of that rear LED Mandalay.

MANDALAY likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Have never seen one that bad. Mine is as good as my Ferrari. That was an anomaly in the video.

Gh21631, MANDALAY and Shadowfax like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Maybe that car had been in an accident. Can't imagine anyone letting a new car go off the shop floor with a gap like that. There is more to the story that the guy is letting on.

Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  9. RazAtx

RazAtx Rookie

Oct 6, 2019
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Raza Haider
    Loved the race and the engineering on McLaren is awesome. But man it sounds like S@#$

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I’m going to put you on the spot. I know they both serve different purposes for you but if you could only have one between the Pista and 720 what would it be? I am going to guess you will say Pista.

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Depends on what else is in the garage.

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    If I am going off looks and how a car makes ME feel...Pista for me then Lambo....but I'd take a GT2RS way before the Lambo...even a GT3RS...huge GT fan as I know those cars build qualities an what they can do.

13. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Your ducking the question like a well seasoned Politician! Pick 720 or Pista!

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Ive had both and would pick the Pista BUT that is not to slight the 720 it is a better semi-daily driver. The Pista looks and feels more special though.

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If your going to dream then ditch Manzoni and have PF do up the body. :)

Shadowfax likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m not ducking the question. It really depends what else I have. Good news is that I don’t have to choose. :)

I really enjoy both cars. For that special occasion, Pista all the way. Daily driver- 720.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree. If Manzoni was responsible for the new design language used on sf90 then I don't want my dream turning into a nightmare! PF would need to take charge immediately! Ferrari would also have to be banned from having anything to do with the exhaust sound as their track record is in very bad shape. Same would apply with wheel gap and stance.....SUV is not part of this dream.