Buying new in this environment | FerrariChat

Buying new in this environment

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Florida Joe, Jun 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Was at the dealer on Saturday. Spec'd out a new porto. Yes I want new because of ADAS. I past 2 demonstrations and a closed road because of picketers on the way there.

My friends think I am nuts to buy this expensive of a car the way the world is moving.

I don't want to be a target, I have saved for this car but don't want it to sit in the garage every day either afraid to take it out.

First world problems but it is causing me to rethink my purchase. I bet I am not alone.

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Your friends might be jealous? A bigger question is why would you spec a new car wait 6-9 months and lose $50-60 K when you drive it off the lot? Plenty of nearly new Porto available at discount prices, pick one out at start driving your dream car today! If ADAS and the thrill of ordering a brand new Ferrari is a bucket list then I get it, but it seems like the wait is long for a new one!
    Either way its a fabulous machine! IMHO Good Luck!

whatheheck likes this.
  3. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    I have been thinking the same thing in the current climate re purchase of expensive cars and houses, problem is that life is too short to keep waiting, but you do have to try and mitigate circumstances in my case looking at a used cali T instead of a porto that i considered, same with houses, looking at buying a lower priced one now (i have a few already ), leaving myself in a good position if better buys come on the market.
    I have held off changing my mclaren for a newer one in the current climate, and will keep for another year or 2 and see what happens.

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My opinion:

Never live your life worrying about what others may think or say.
    It's your life, live it how you want it and live it to the fullest.

Life is too short, enjoy it while you can.
    I have friends that are younger than me (I just turned 62) that expired unexpectedly never got to enjoy their hard earned money.

If you dont live in a safe neighborhood or a safe city perhaps its time to find a better and safer place.

Im here in Washington State and I can drive anywhere and I get nothing but thumbs up and admiration.
    Of course I avoid bad neighborhoods as we all have those.

If money is no object by all means spec it how you want it and buy what you want.
    As SLViper1 have mentioned, if you are OK with a preowned one you can save a lot of money.

I just purchased a 2016 Cali T with 7K miles, CPO, 2 year New Power Warranty with everything on my wish list except parking cameras.
    I saved over $120K compared to buying new.

My 2.5 cents.

Dan

5. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If you're asking us if you should buy new, maybe you have already answered your own question. A pre-owned car can be a great value, and a lot less to worry about. If you take your time and look carefully there are cars to be found with a lot of your options. After all, you want to be able to sleep at night, and enjoy driving as much as possible!

Jordan68 likes this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    We have the ADAS on the Portofino along with the ventilated seats but we got a new dealer spec. You can probably find one by calling around to the dealers. They don't always advertise the dealer spec cars but they are often available on models where Ferrari is pushing volume and they are on the Portofino. Our Portof ino was pretty loaded and it was a color scheme the wife liked so we bought it off the lot. Still first owner but not waiting.

7. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    a new portofino is one of the worst financial decisions of 2020 :)

wrs, schwoo, BLAMPEE and 1 other person like this.
  8. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I get it. Of course I also put another $100K into the market yesterday and naturally it dropped 1,800 pts. today

9. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline

10. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Hey Joe , don’t panic !! It will come right back and then some! As to the car, I am with Dan. :))

whatheheck likes this.
  11. fineito

fineito Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    I understand both themes expressed on this topic. Both themes are valid. I would merely say this...I and others on this forum are fortunate to be in the position to contemplate a Ferrari, or any expensive, luxury purchase. It didn't have to be that way. Enjoy it. I apply this to myself - you might consider making a contribution to a worthy charity in acknowledgement that many people are far less fortunate. I know it helps me to remember the good fortune I have.

AD211 and whatheheck like this.
  12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Very well said and I agree.

I too give back regularly. From donating to charities, giving Ferrari toys to kids that come up to me and to paying forward in restaurants and stores when the opportunity allows it.

Dan

AD211 and mmoharter like this.
  13. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Thks for the feedback. If I find something used with my specs then great I will save money. If I can't within the next couple of months, I will order new.

Life is short. I am a young 62 but you never know what the future can hold. I personally don't know of anyone who has died from Covid but have friends that do. Starts to make you think. "enjoy while you are here."

14. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I live my life like my signature says:

it’s just life, dude. Might has well try and have a kickass time while we’re still alive!

Bamsefar likes this.
  15. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I understand your concerns, I bought my Cali T in Las Vegas in February just before things closed. It took a over month to get it to Florida due to the massive business disruption, and by then everything was at a standstill in Key West, and most of my friends and I were dealing with serious losses. I have chosen to keep the car under wraps in Fort Lauderdale, Key West is a small town and I didn't want to appear insensitive. Now that the economy is improving, I will bring it home.

BLAMPEE likes this.
  16. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    i never buy used. nothing beats a new car experience. its never a good financial decision but to each his own. there will be no used ferraris if they are no new car buyers :)

wrs and MANDALAY like this.
  17. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Yes, bravo, keep buying new and treat your Ferraris better than your wife! I never buy my personal cars new, my wife insists on it for herself, but she always keeps her cars for 5-7 years so I don't mind.

18. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Have you test driven one with ADAS? I've just taken delivery of a fully loaded ex demo Ghibli with all the driver assists. After the long drive home I've switched most of them off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

19. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I have not driven a PF with ADAS. My MB SL550 has it and granted Ferrari may not implement it the same way . I live in S. FLA. where the majority of drivers seem to be following the rules of the road from where they came from rather than America. Like red lights and stop signs are just suggestions.

My experience with ADAS overall has been good but not perfect.

1) Blind spot monitoring - excellent
    2) Lane departure warning - The MB system vibrates the steering wheel, sounds a chime AND applies the brakes to the appropriate wheels to force the car back into the lane. The system though does get confused where roads are under repair and you have old lines and new lines on the road.
    3) Auto cruise control - works -excellent
    4) Not sure if the Ferrari will have autonomous braking- I have had that kick 4 - 5 times. Twice it saved me. Driving on xpressway adjusting the A/C (which I should not have been doing), the car went into a nose dive to stop a collision due to a backup as a car had broken down. A couple of other times though the car tried to come to a stop when it shouldn't have. i.e. a car crossing 4 lanes across. As a driver I recognize he was getting into the turn lane and would pass closely in front of me but still be out of the way. The car didn't think so and jammed on the brakes. My pushing on the accelerator overrode the ADAS

All in all I am pro ADAS. Not perfect, but a safety feature.

whatheheck likes this.
  20. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Florida Joe, you may like to read about my struggle (with myself) before I ordered a new Portofino. I have always loved the looks of an Aston Martin and took it for four test drives. Four. Everytime the Portofino felt the superior car. That is when the problem started. Is Ferrari the right brand was the first issue; too associated with criminals etc. Should one plonk down a ludicrous sum on a car when so many people are under-priveliged, even here in Holland, let alone with the hunger and strife in the world? Will my friends think I am showing off? Will the person in the street think I am showing off? After many a sleepless night, I thought: bollocks. I live once. I have made it myself, honestly and morally, paid all my taxes (which in Holland are so much higher than yours) and I do my bit for society. If others want to be jealous and put me down because they cannot have it, it is their problem. Yes, I will be careful of people who may scratch it just out of envy but I will not live for others. Go buy your car. Brand new and feel proud of yourself but never lose your humility and social sense (which comes through beautifully in your post). The depreciation will be high but the feeling of joy will be higher. We die only once but live every day.

Florida Joe likes this.
  21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Whew, good thing I made that decision in 2019. :)

bruno787 likes this.