Penske: F1 at Indianapolis possible next year. | FerrariChat

Penske: F1 at Indianapolis possible next year.

Discussion in 'F1' started by pilotoCS, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Let's hope that the Captain lives a long life. I'm so old I remember Roger driving a Birdcage Maserati.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That would be so awesome! Is COTA still good to go? I heard they may have shut down to COVID19.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Godawful mickey mouse track.

Watkins Glen or Road America would be a fantastic place.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I saw him race at Le Mans in 1963. His team mate was more famous at the time: Pedro Rodriguez.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. Cool beans. Dan Gurney and Jim Hall, too. Both Ferraris out of the NART stable, I notice. (I presume it was Pedro that put theirs on pole) The year my namesake won with Scarfiooti. :)

william likes this.
  6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Not my favourite spot either but it was nice to have the RV parked a few steps from the entrance. And the museum of course. Would I go back? Probably.

Jakuzzi, stavura, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Great tracks but neither has the infrastructure to accommodate F1.

8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. I know for a fact that RA refuses to build permanant garages and close off the paddock to spectators. That doesn't even get into the crazy-ass sanctioning fee that F1 charges.

All the infrastructure for F1 is already in place at Indy. The downtown hoteliers have already pledged towards the sanctioning fee. And if Roger can attract a title sponsor . . . instantly profitable!

Jakuzzi, Isobel and 375+ like this.
  9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not to rain on your parade but I posted that weeks ago.

Not really news but it would be awesome if it came true.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    COTA and Indy are the only FIA grade 1 tracks in the USA. Watkins Glenn and Road America are both Grade 2 and would need millions to upgrade to be acceptable. Good luck finding more than pocket lint in the post Covid world for upgrading race track facilities, except Indy under the Captains control, but that was all planned and budgeted before Covid.

Nembo1777 and 375+ like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They also know how to handle large public events better than most tracks.

Nembo1777 and Jakuzzi like this.
  12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Road America is to far to easy access!

13. Absolutely. A little (all right, a lot of) work required, but would be sooo worth it. :cool:

Nothing like getting our race fan priorities straight.......damn the layout, it's only the race course.....bring on the ammenities!...... :rolleyes: :p

:)

Jakuzzi, JoeCab and Bas like this.
  14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, but the blast wave coming off an Indy car at the start/finish line is amazing.

Jakuzzi and lorenzobandini like this.
  15. Is that akin to standing prior to the tri-oval ('about lift pernt for T-1 into the infield) with a 935 or the Greenwood Vette (a monster on the 'banking) going by, back before the bus stop at Daytona? 962s, Jags, and Marches after. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019/08/22/video-watch-jordan-taylor-drive-the-1976-greenwood-corvette-at-the-rolex-reunion-at-laguna-seca/

Now, I know they weren't doin' 230 (over two though), but, not being as trimmed out (for the wiggly bits) as the Indy cars and having a larger frontal area, they moved a bunch of air themselves. 'Can say the same about a train of Cup and GN cars going by prior to the plates (and still I presume; 'haven't been to a NASCAR race since '83).
    Speed kills? Bah humbug......properly done, it's invigorating! :)

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Questions generally end with "?"

But my guess is that anything moving that fast (200+) generates a significant blast wave.
    First you hear the sound and see the tiny speck become full size.
    Then just when the sound changes (Doppler effect) a few milliseconds later you get hit with an instantaneous surge of air that immediately vanishes.

17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Been to RA with Indy Cars 1987. Was pit crew for a Super VEE team. Also same year Detroit pitted in Cobal Hall with F1 that year.

375+ likes this.
  18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I wouldn’t say no to escalators in the stands either....... Not going to Silverstone unless there’s a chopper with my name on it....;)

lorenzobandini likes this.
  19. .....Then The Rolex 24 at Daytona is right up your alley....errr...let me re-phrase that......:oops:
    I don't know about the 'copter tho'. There is an airport right behind DIS for your Lear....... :)

Isobel likes this.
  20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Done the 24. Florida can be, ummm, chilly that time of year ;). Mind you, it’s a damn sight better than further up the beach ;).

The beauty of Montreal is I can park at the track about 100 metres from my seat, although the track is fairly easy to access anyway.

Once you get a taste of the good life as a fan, it’s an uphill mindset to revert to THE SLOG afterwards, for lack of a better term. I’m sure you won’t agree ;).

21. #22 lorenzobandini, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    You've got that right.
    'Last Rolex 24 for me was about 10 years ago (even ran into Oscar Koveleski at a magazine's concession booth, once I mentioned remembering his Can Am days, he talked my ears off) as I don't care for the BoPing. T
    To me, "the good life" is having a room Thurs. and Fri. nights but sleeping in the stands to the "music" during the race (back in the '70s and '80s did the camping thing; admittedly, three days in a tent got to be too much). 'Have gotten my soundest sleep there, all bundled up and sprawled out on a few layers of cardboard to insulate from the metal seats ('til then, I don't know what they are now since the revamp). Waking up and catching up on the action, back to sleep for another deep snooze, repeat 'til just before sunrise. 'Had been going pretty regularly since '75. then sheet GARRA took over and slacked off until not at all. Same with Sebring..

Back on topic-ish, reference RA and WG, the circuits are faaarrr better than the mickey mouse (no caps out of respect for Mickey) Indianapolis roval.

Then, I go for the racing, not the fluff. :p

Both have beautiful countryside backdrops also. Indy's? Yuck. :)

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Best tracks in America for real racing and real racers.

Too bad they aren’t up to F1 “standards.” “Boot where will we poot zee hoospeetahlitay?”

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have done Daytona 24 hours, drove into the infield found a nice spot, setup the tend and placed chair within a few feet of my car. Wandered around and partied for 3 days.

Nembo1777 and Isobel like this.
  24. “Boot where will we poot zee hoospeetahlitay?”

What did Rhett say? ? Goes kinda' like "Frankly my dear,....." :eek: