Wheel spacers for 575? | FerrariChat

Wheel spacers for 575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F612, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I am aware of wheel spacers used to widen track, both frond and rear.
    Do you use them?
    Why?
    What size works best with 19” front and rear wheels?

thanks in advance!

2. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #2 NE550, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    David, I have Hill Engineering 20mm "Type 1" spacers + long bolts on the rear of my 550. Bought them from Ricambi America. https://www.ricambiamerica.com/ws020-2-x-20mm-spacers-10-bolts-type-1.html. These are not cheap but excellent quality billet aluminum hub-centric spacers. The bolts are stainless steel and they have titanium bolts available for extra cost. These spacers work great and eliminate the "sucked in" wheel/tire look at the rear.

You'll see on the Ricambi website there is also a 25mm "Type 2" spacer, but they are bolt-on spacers (e.g., you bolt the spacer itself the wheel hub, then the wheel bolts to the spacer) which I don't like in principle, and the 5mm of extra width really isn't necessary.

These will works up front, too, and there are thinner spacers available (11 and 15mm), but there really is no need for front spacers on 550s/575s.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- I have had Hill Engineering Type 2 (spacer bolts to hub, original wheel bolts thread into hardened inserts) 25 mm spacers on the rear of my 575M through three sets of wheels. Fronts did not need them, but the rears look much better and they add to the rear track. Do not affect suspension alignment and only marginally increase unspring weight. Made up for weight by titanium wheel bolts. I do not like the longer bolts on the Type 1 spacers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Auraraptor likes this.
  5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Mine was the only 575M in New Mexico for most of the time I was there, so easy to get that tag.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I can see how they improve the look of the car. Do they make any noticeable difference to the drive through the wider track?

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Mild increase in understeer is the most pronounced side-effect

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Understeer is not an issue with FHP, plus the wider rear track tends to make for more stable braking.

9. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm currently running an OMD 20mm spacer in the rear with extended bolts. It gives the rear at about the same offset as the front.

To bring the sidewall flush with the fender:
    Rear: 40mm
    Front: 36mm

So there is plenty of room to play with as aggressive of an offset as you wish.

10. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    Hi David, 20mm for me too, at least with OEM 18" wheels. IMHO they don't look "aftermaket widened", but they fill the arches just right. Before and after picture may help you...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

adall and NE550 like this.
  11. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    NE550 likes this.
  12. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Haven't noticed a lot of difference, Darius. Maybe a slight bit more understeer when really hustling the car through a fast sweeper. Otherwise day-to-day no difference.

13. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Thank you all.
    I like the esthetics but would like some more comments on dynamic affect, please.

14. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    I can't help you that much on this...I usually drive it slower than my grandmother...:oops:...I didn't note any handling difference.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The basics on wheel spacers are that you will increase grip on whichever end you add the spacers. For the rear spacers we are talking about, there will be more grip on the rear and the front will be unchanged. Near the limit, that will tend to make her understeer, but at a higher cornering limit than before the spacers were added. Suspension geometry is unaffected. There may be slightly more wear on suspension bushings because of the increased lever arm effect.

F612, NE550 and 308 GTB like this.
  16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Terry.

Here's a table that summarizes factors that affect oversteer and understeer:

Attached Files:

NE550 likes this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- Very handy. Saved it to hard drive.

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    On the basis of the advice from Dave and Taz, I have acquired some type two HE spacers for the rear wheels of my 575. My service shop is going to fit them doing the belt service next week. I will try to take some before and after pictures. If only I had the modulars to space.

Belt service, fluid change, spacers, and a stereo that you can actually hear. It should be a worthwhile service. If there are any other suggestions for upgrades to make the ownership experience of a manual 575 with FHP even more wonderful, let’s have them!

there is always the risk of the call that goes “while we were in there, we found all these things wrong” but that is just one of the joys of Ferrari ownership.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  19. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    #19 Salami, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Got these 15mm off eBay for 100$ and they seem very nicely made. Came with longer bolts. Not sure why they knurled the edges but hey, everybody loves a good knurl job.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I have a set of 30mm spacers (new) with all hardware. If anyone is interested PM me...

21. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    I also am using Hill Engineering Type 2 spacers..

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I use type 2 for streetcars if possible. I use type 1 on race cars. Yes there is a reason.

308 GTB likes this.
  23. climbernyc

climbernyc Karting

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thinking of 20mm type 1s from HE vs 25mm type 2s as I don’t want to throw too much debris at the rear fender lip, lower quarter/ bumper etc. (25mm). Am I thinking correctly about this making a difference or is 20mm still too far out?

24. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I would do 20mm at a minimum.

25. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    HE on my 575, based on Terry's (Taz) recommendation. The spacers help fill out the wheel well, especially the rears.