REMOVING KNOCK OFF SPINNERS | FerrariChat

REMOVING KNOCK OFF SPINNERS

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I have always done this with the car on the ground. Wheels chocked. But recently was told to do this with the car in the air, and I assume, a helper standing on the brakes. Comments? thanx. steve

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I always do it with wheels on the ground too. What is the rationale behind the advice you have received?

3. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I also got that advice for the Trigo/halibrands on my Kirkham Cobra. "Takes the weight off of the wheels", so i was told. But on Isaac Newton's Ferrari, wouldn't the mass/weight be the same unless it was falling off a cliff or at zero gravity? Now, the pressure on the suspension parts might be different but true weight shouldn't be in play. I've always worried about collateral damage to the suspension parts or wheel bearings. thanx steve

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    My respect for Isaac Newton will be even greater now that I know he drove a Ferrari. :D

Seriously, that sounds rather esoteric to me. I don't think I shall be changing the habit of a lifetime any day soon.

5. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Oh yeah, few people know or understand Newton's 4th law of motion (the first 3 are child's play)..."don't let the bastards pass you". s

6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Steve; I will take a shot at your question. First, the Halibrand style knock-off on your Cobra uses a different system to secure the wheel to the hub. Technically, it is inferior to the Rudge system used by Ferrari. On the Ferrari, I have always tightened the knock-off till the wheel will no longer "rock" on the hub with the car in the air. Then the final tightening is done with the car on the ground. The reason for this is the chance of wheel bearing damage. With the car in the air, all the "blow" of the hammer is applied directly to the wheel bearings. Yes, I have seen wheel bearings damaged by hammer blows. As for the Halibrand system, it requires the knock-offs to be much tighter than the Rudge system, and you want them tighter before you lower the car to the ground and do the final tightening. However, the final blows from the hammer should still be done with the car on the ground. Rudge knock-offs are designed to tighten by themselves under usage (we see it normally in the race cars, as we mark every knock-off after tightening, I do this on street cars also just to be safe). Of note, some Lotus cars use the Rudge system but the knock-off tightens the OTHER direction. It seems Chapman felt his cars could generate greater brake torque than acceleration torque, so he wanted the knock-offs to self-tighten under braking, not acceleration. This seems to work on the low powered, light weight Lotus's. One final comment, the Halibrand style knock-offs need to be very tight when used on race cars. Otherwise, they WILL come loose, don't ask how I know this. And one more comment, I am not a fan of the "torque wrench" knock-off tools. In my experience, even at 375-400 lb/ft, they do not tighten the knock-off enough to be safe for spirited driving. After using the "torque wrench" tool, you can easily further tighten the knock-off with a dead blow or lead hammer. Just my thoughts.

theowinstone, 375+ and turbo-joe like this.
  7. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I just crack loose my spinners (or lug nuts on regular wheels), then jack the car to undo them and remove. Same thing going back on... tighten as much as possible while jacked up, then snug up a little more when back on the ground.

Glassman and Bryanp like this.
  8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks Dyke. I do mine as you said just out of intuition. I am glad to hear that the people in the know do it this way. I started using a socket years ago, only because in the beginning I slipped a couple of times and hit the rim. It’s a three-quarter driver with a 30 inch lever. I lean on it till it feels like it hits a stop. Any opinion on this method? Thanks in advance.

john

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    to remove there is no need to put the wheel in the air. only when you tight them

10. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Dyke and guys, Thanx so much for taking a "crack" at my question and a logical answer as well. Won't miss the Halibrands on my (now sold) Kirkham Cobra...there were a couple of times I never thought I'd get those "buggers" off. John, like you, I've long used the socket and a 3/4 ratchet with all of the leverage cheating I can get, but may go back to my Cook lead hammer.

1) Any thoughts on the use of the Harbor Freight 4# Dead Blow hammer? Cook hammer? Copper or Pb?

2) The HF 3/4 torque wrench seemed like a good idea, but I see that it isn't. It would not measure torque on left hand threaded spinners anyway. Tried it years ago, and quickly returned.

3) Do you all use anti-seize? I have always done so on both KOs and lug nuts.

4) When i use the big socket, i always put "duck" tape on the ears of the KO to protector against the socket's sheer force.

Comments? thanx steve

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I use a 1 " socket, so I not need an adapter for the torque wrench
    put on also some anti-seize, but only a very little between the 2 cones, but a little more on the interlocking ( right word? )

12. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Steve: For street usage, I use a 3.25 lb. dead blow hammer, and we use lead hammers on the race cars. I use grease, but anti-seize should work just as well. I do use anti-seize on standard lug nuts. I would recommend marking the nut and the wheel hub with a magic marker after the wheel is tight. It provides cheap insurance that can be checked before driving to make sure nothing is coming loose.

13. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Thanx again, Dyke. I did use a marker on the Cobra and tried to keep an eye on it; they were also safety wired. Gotten out of the habit, so I thank you for the reminder...easy to do, makes complete sense and all you have to do is remember that you did it! steve

14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    "threads" (the threaded end of the hub and the threaded mating surface inside the knock-off).

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I was told by Tom S. to never use anti seize on knock offs.........only a light swipe of grease on the hub thread.

srslusso likes this.