355 - Fuse blows if I hold the top up button after cycle is complete | FerrariChat

355 Fuse blows if I hold the top up button after cycle is complete

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ari Paul, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ari Paul

Ari Paul Rookie

Sep 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ari Paul
    My '95 355 spider top works great. It has new fluid and cylinders. No problems at all, EXCEPT: on the top up cycle (when I am closing the roof), if I keep my finger on the top up button, the fuse will blow out.

This means that unless I time it perfectly to release my finger from the button at exactly the right moment that the top-up cycle is complete, the fuse will blow and I will have to replace it. This issue does not happen on the top-closed (open air convertible) cycle: If I push the button in the opposite direction to open the top, and the top finishes its cycle in the down position, I can continue pushing the button and nothing will happen, as if the power supply to the button is switched off, no fuse blown.

Any idea on how to fix this minor annoyance?? Normally I would just livewith it, but I want to let my wife drive it anytime and she's nervous about having to time it exactly and replace the fuses hereself if out on the road.

Thanks a lot.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Are you saying that after the top is up, the seats move forward to the correct position and then, when the seats stop, the fuse blows if you continue to hold the switch in the top up position?

3. Ari Paul

Ari Paul Rookie

Sep 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ari Paul
    Exactly

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #4 johnk..., Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Doesn't make sense. If the seats have stopped in the correct position then power to them has been cut. And if it was some thing to do specifically with the top pump it would seem that the fuse should have blow when the to closed. Which fuse is blowing? I presume the 15A for the top mechanism. Also I meant "seats move back".

Can you move the (both) seats back further with the seat switches once you replace the fuse?

Qavion likes this.
  5. Ari Paul

Ari Paul Rookie

Sep 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ari Paul
    Thanks for your help. When I get home today I will check the fuse and the seat movement.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    As John says, which fuse?

The roof ECU fuse (15 amp) and the roof motor fuse (30 amp) are different. Or do you mean the AC System fuse in the passenger footwell?

Roof Wiring Diagram (5.2)

It's not clear from the diagram which fuses are used in seat control. Perhaps both the 15 amp and the AC system fuse

7. Ari Paul

Ari Paul Rookie

Sep 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ari Paul
    SOLVED. So, it turns out I didn't blow a fuse after all! It just sounded to me like I did! This is because the sound I heard was my secondary cylinders actually working! They make a slight popping sound like a fuse, and the sound brought back painful memories of when my fuse did in fact go out from using the manual switch and having other problems. Anyway, sorry for the false alarm.

At any rate, attached is a photo of my pump and fuses. Can everyone confirm that the 15A and 30A fuses are in the right locations??

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    This is the only pic I could find showing the fuses.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/140426044/

The fuse is attached to the red relay base is the 15 amp fuse, so it looks like you're correct. I think my relay bases are green and black, so looking at my car wouldn't help (I think the cables are long enough to allow you to put the relay bases in either position).