328 GTS buying advice | FerrariChat

328 GTS buying advice

Discussion in '308/328' started by ferrari#7, Jun 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Hi . I sold my 328 GTS, and wish I had not. I am now looking for another one. There is one fairly close to me, with 70K miles it. Would you consider a 70K 328. I am afraid I will have a difficult time selling when that time comes. Thanks all.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    There is no problem with 70K miles on these things and anyone that disagrees with me is wrong.

Change my mind, Fchat

PowerFrank, pizzadude and bill brooks like this.
  3. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    As long as maintenance checks out I would not hesitate buying a higher
    Mileage car.
    Why save the beauty queen for
    The next guy? Drive her like you will die with her(all the while taking care of her)

Rosey and miketuason like this.
  4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The worst thing you can do to one is let it sit.

And sit, and sit, and sit, and sit....

I LOVE when someone thinks 40K, 50K, 70k etc is way past the "sell by" date on these things. Their misguided discount is nothing but money in my pocket.

Than you, world, for perpetuating the myth that a Ferrari will disintegrate into a pile of repair bills after it passes 30K!

Rosey and Hinecker like this.
  5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 86k miles 84 QV run a heck a lot better than the ones with half or even less than half the miles, and still worth the same as the ones with half the miles.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Totally agree with everyone here. My 308 I sold with 88K miles, and my 328 had 62K miles. when I bought the 328 it had just 22K miles on it. The cars are more reliable the more you drive them - more regularly you drive them. Electrics will get you at some point its just a weak spot, other than that and cosmetics. nothing to be worried about on a high mileage 308/328. YOU DO WANT TO SEE MTNS RECORDS. no records = no go regardless of mileage.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    So, getting back to your core question:

- Depends on what type of ownership experience you’re looking for.

- I’m guessing your desire is to have a driver, so make certain the maintenance has been done properly and have someone experienced perform a thorough PPI.

- Take special note of the quality of the leather and the fuse box condition, aside from the engine.

- Regarding resale, since you asked, yes, a car with 80,000-90,000 miles (presuming you’ll add that many) will of course be priced accordingly.

Despite what anyone wants to say, like it or not, higher mile cars are valued less, period. People can whine and cry about that fact but it doesn’t change the reality. I appreciate those that say lower mile cars are somehow badly damaged, but any damage (such as rubber seals, gaskets, etc.) are fixable. I’d much rather have lower miles than someone else’s wear and tear, of course.

So, getting a high mile car that has been properly maintained with up to date service should be fine, but don’t expect it to get you a ton at resale. If that’s your goal, I wouldn’t recommend it.

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    And like most everything else, they should be.

A Ferrari with 80k miles on the engine is closer to needing a rebuild than a 20k car. That's simply friction, wear, physics, and reality.

(And rubber hoses eventually degrade whether the car had been driven or not.)

mike996 likes this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

All true

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Mileage is a funny thing.

People will pay a premium for one with (sometimes extremely) low miles then rarely drive it. Dont want to "ruin the value"

That's a lot to spend on a car you basically cant drive.

Bring one home with 77,500 on the clock, and not only is that money in your pocket but you will have a fun summer behind the wheel.

As i said earlier- just keep those prices low when you think the miles are high.

We appreciate it!

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Right or wrong you are going to pay a premium for a car with ultra low miles. A premium that can only be preserved by not driving the car. Every mile you put on it will erode that premium. It would be different if the low miles meant that the car was far and above in better shape but that's not always the case. Many of the ultra low mile cars have been neglected despite being stored under a cover in a garage. So it just becomes a number that you're paying for.

12. BNSC100

BNSC100 Karting

May 28, 2009
    SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My experience:

In 2009 I bought a 71K mile 1986 328. Now has 77K
    1. It had a $40K restoration a year prior form the previous owner (Thanks Chris. I owe you). No engine or transmission rebuild or wiring harness etc.., but nearly everything else. suspension (bushings + QA1 setup), fuel lines, coolant hoses, interior etc.. Engine out and heads off. Steering rack rebuild...
    3. All records still on file from window sticker to restoration...
    2. In 10 years I have just done fluids, plugs, belts plus, voluntarily, all the front end heater hose and long brake booster hose. Those were the only hoses not previously done.

Recent Personal Compression / Leak Down:
    Plugs out, throttle open.
    All but cylinder 8 were 180-185 PSI on compression and leak downs were closer to 2% than 5% at 100 PSI. #8 slightly lower scores... PPI compression test did not show as much variance on #8 so Im wondering if carbon on valves or maybe even just lack of driving. Was told to drive it like I stole it and it would probably fall back in line...

I was nervous with the mileage, but it was tighter than any of the other cars I drove which had rotten bushings etc... Every day I get in and fire it up I become more and more of a believer in driving them.

I hope I did not just jinx myself, but it's been a great car. Don't abuse them, but drive them like they were meant for and maintain them well... Thats my $.02

JuLiTrO likes this.
  13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    simply put - 308-328 cars are not investment grade cars - yet... and most likely only the Vetrosina ones and last year 328's & GTB's will be... but low grade at that. I could be 100% wrong but I don't see any event that will make these cars go up like Enzo Era Ferrari's... its sad but true. perhaps like Porsche 356's when the cars are 60 - 70 years old some will ... original in molested cared for cars.. .but then mileage does not matter.

Rosey, TM328 and mike996 like this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Unfortunately, you’re likely right. People have been waiting for the 308/328 to be the next Dino since the late 90’s. I’m personally surprised they haven’t but maybe someday.

Rosey likes this.
  15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The 3x8 will never hit Dino prices, at least as long as I'm alive. Which honestly, doesn't matter to me - because I don't intend to sell it. I bought this Ferrari because it was a lifelong dream, not an investment. I'm caring for it, maintaining it - all things considered, AT A FINANICIAL LOSS - but that's for my kids, or grandkids (one almost here) to care about.

If I could have purchased a 10K car for what I bought my 40K car for, I would have - and my ownership experience would have been the same... driving it, enjoying it. Residual value? Don't care. If I were blessed to own a 288, I'd drive the hell out of it too.

16. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Subscribed.
    I'm wanting my first Fcar (308/328/348/Mondial,etc.)
    Leaning toward a 328.

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Good choice! But as noted, DON"T buy it expecting to make a profit down the road. You won't! ;)

Rosey likes this.
  18. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni
    I don't know, I disagree just a little bit as we've seen some 328's inch a bit higher lately, especially with low miles. There is one up at sotheby's in UK now with 10k miles (GTB) and i bet it will go for close to 100k euro. Another one on BaT with 41k miles is already at $60k in the second day. With so many electronics on all cars now, i think more time goes by more these analog babies will creep up. I love mine , looked for 2 years for the exact options i wanted and wouldn't think to sell it anyway. But, the auctions are fun to watch.

19. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just bought my 86 328 GTS and have put about 200 miles on it in the last two months. My car has a little over 56k miles total. Chips, scratches, a few cosmetic things that I can fix (I can do paint and bodywork ;), luckily!) but all the mechanics were already done and a PPI was done by the guy before me which answered all my questions. I’ve been happy with my purchase and all it’s done is make me want to buy another! The fun Ferrari lifestyle is actually driving the car and listening to that sound. I can’t see paying this kind of money for a car you simply look at. Buy a car you’re comfortable owning, bang some gears, and let others on the road give you the thumbs up. Nobody cares what your odometer says when they’re taking a phone vid of you driving beside them!:cool:

cheers
    Dave

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Sadly in some respect they are not going to be investment grade like Enzo era cars. However if you get one and keep it for 5-10 years don't think you will lose on your purchase price ...and may even gain some. However the cost of mtns still means they are a financial loss... but really that is like belonging to a golf club... you have to pay to play or not... Having had one of each 308 - 328 for almost 25 years... they are fantastic cars, undeniably beautiful and simply are Ferrari.... for a large percentage of people born in the late 60's... these are what Ferrari's look like. as art pieces they qualify.

Rosey likes this.
  21. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Hi, the 70K 328 that is fairly close to me, it looks good. But has no records at all, except carfax which is clean. Therefore I do not feel that safe. I said can I have a PPI, and was told "what are they going to do, can do this can't do that." This has to be had for a very very good price or walk away. Do you agree. Thanks.

22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    No service records at all?
    I'd personally walk away.

23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Without regards to this particular car, which I haven't seen - Carfax is nearly worthless, and shouldn't be a factor at all in your decision.