Insurance | FerrariChat

Insurance

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ScottS, Jun 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Hi. I have several cars and a clean driving record. I use USAA but feel like Im paying way too much.

I got a quote from Heath through AMerican Modern for Collector Insurance. Its less than half the yearly for the Ferraris.

They offer agreed upon value and different miles.

I do not put more than 1000 miles per year so I figured why pay for more.

Any experience, thoughts or advice on insurance vs collector vs......?

Thank you for any thoughts

California4Ever likes this.
  2. eurocg

eurocg Karting

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Full Name:
    C
    I switched my Vantage and 458 to Hagerty mainly due to the agreed upon value. My daily drivers are with Progressive. For reference the 458 is at 250k value, with 5k driven per year and Vantage is 80k value 5k driven, Premium 4200/yr.

3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I use Grundy with agreed-upon value, saved a lot. Search the htreads on this forum for a lot of good advice

papou likes this.
  4. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    I am an insurance broker as well as a ferrari owner. I may be able to help you as I have a good policy at a reasonable price. what state do you live in?

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have State Farm... checked with Hagarty and Grundy etc... they were both about $1K more per year.... I have two cars and my house with SF, and agreed value on the 599... with 7,500 miles pay about $3K a year.

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    USAA is too costly for exotics. State Farm was $1100 cheaper a year than USAA for my F430 and Hagerty $1200 cheaper than State Farm so naturally, Hagerty agreed value with towing and no deductible was the way to go.

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am with State Farm on a 360 Spider. It's $53 a month, and I think I get up to 5000 miles a year?

8. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Condon Skelly. My premium on the F355 for $75k agreed value is $230. per year!!

9. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    With USAA I get a return of premium in November and another for being a senior member in February.

10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hagerty for 1985 308.

11. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My collector cars are all insured with Chubb Classic Car insurance. They have a great reputation for paying claims.

Alan
    N.J.

Regular Guy 01 likes this.
  12. JDINPA

JDINPA Rookie

Aug 30, 2017
  13. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    They held my homeowners insurance on my first home (5 years)

Beyond an outdated website, I had no issues with them (granted we didn't have any claims in that time period, but they didn't f with paperwork or do anything unethical during their time as our insurer, and when I did need to pay bills or get paperwork they were timely)

I have used Geico (Mondial 3.2) and Hagerty (308 GTS, 308 GT4 and Mondial 8) so far for car insurance on FCars, no issues with either, Hagerty is cheap IMO and let you dictate the agreed value with photos and etc. to a reasonable amount

14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Geico is much less than others, at least here in Massachusetts ... they were 1/3 the cost of Liberty Mutual. $1100 annually on a 2015 Cali T — 250/500.

15. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    It’s all unique and situational. For some abc company is cheaper. For others xyz company. Make your agent shop for several and then you will know.

fwiw, Chubb has a great reputation for large/high end collections in terms of coverage and service and claims handling. I had them for years with the ferrari and maser and Jeep and houses etc. they were a fraction of the cost of the traditional retail carriers and were half of haggarty (with no silly conditions or limitations). So it was an easy choice for me.

But ymmv (pun intended)

16. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I think my exotics were insured through American Modern through my local insurance broker. I got with Hagerty as I need to change my old Porsche to a stated value policy. Ended up putting all 3 of my cars on with Hagerty. Due to the combined value of all the cars (which I am sure your cars' total value would qualify), this put me into a higher category with them with additional deductions as well as much fewer restrictions. Saved over 4K per year

ScottS likes this.
  17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Andrew at Grundy has saved me many thousands of dollars. Very happy I found him after trying all the usual companies, Hagerty included.

18. JDINPA

JDINPA Rookie

Aug 30, 2017
    Just got off the phone with Geico; they told me they don't cover F cars. I'm in PA so I'm wondering if their policy is different state by state...

19. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I’m in / was in PA too...I would try Grundy.

JDINPA likes this.
  20. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Interesting. Massachusetts may not allow them to exclude manufacturers, they heavily regulate the insurance industry here, to the point where until a few years ago, none of the national insurers would offer car insurance.

21. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Every state is different, I am sure.

I had my Ferrari covered by GEICO in Oregon.

22. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I’m going with Cincinnati for my house/vehicles/umbrella. I was happy with my quote on the 488 for an agreed value policy.

23. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #23 ScottS, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Sorry. Preoccupied with a sale.

Florida

Had Chubb for all else but it’s funny they wouldn’t do agreed value. They wanted to value my 430 manual at 60k!! Then they upped my proposal from December u til now by 4K.

I worry with collector that one loses everyday drivability.

Going with American modern. Getting a 8k yearly break.

My broker deals with some very known collectors in our area. This is what they use she has assured me. You know stables that dwarf my little guys.

I’ll let y’all know what happens.

ScottS

Auraraptor likes this.
  24. 7ven11ven

7ven11ven Rookie

Jan 25, 2020
    DFW
    Full Name:
    JASON M
    USAA wasn’t bad until my 17 yr old had two wrecks. Now have the Ferrari under Modern America

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Check with GEICO, they were the cheapest for my 2009 F430. They have a Quote function on their website that makes it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Circle K likes this.