Stuck fuel cap 512 bbi | FerrariChat

Stuck fuel cap 512 bbi

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Jun 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I'm in trouble and hope some of the bbi owners can help me . The fuel cap on my 512 bbi is appearing stuck. I've assume I have unlocked it and the cap can now make approximately one turn left or right before it stops. I have tried to turn it left until it stops and then apply force to unscrew the cap but it doesn't move the slightest. Am I doing something wrong or are the cap known for being prone to go stuck? What is the cure? Any ideas or comments much appreciated.

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sounds like it is still potentially locked. Did you try unlocking it with the key?

3. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    ag512bbi likes this.
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That was my first thought, too: "what lock?" ;) -- but the BB512i SPC does show that two types of gas caps are possible (one with lock, one without lock).

5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The yellow section manoeuvres to the side revealing the lock.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Yes the cap is with a lock. I believe it works like this: If the cap is locked it free spins and if unlocked it should be able to turn left and unscrew the cap. This is new to me, thats why i’m not 100% sure of the correct funktion. best Peter

7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Do you have the owners manual available? I would reference the proper operation of the lock there.

8. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The locking cap does free spin in the locked position. If it stops turning, it is unlocked but stuck. You can take the rubber connection hose off and remove the filler tube with the cap. That will allow you access to the back side and get some penetrate lube to the threads and possible break it loose.

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for input to every one. Next step will be to follows Wade's suggestion; remove the filler tube, fill it with penetrating oil and try to loosen the stuck thread while having the tube firmly supported in a vices.

Best, Peter

10. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Mine has gotten stuck a couple of times. Its difficult to get your hand in there. I have a non-locking cap.

I've managed to tap/graze it in the counter clockwise position with a rubber hammer a couple of times to the point where I can open it by hand.

I don't think a few gentle taps would hurt if you are careful.

Might want to give it a try,

Drew

rovexienus and pshoejberg like this.
  11. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    pshoejberg likes this.
  12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the hints. I love the strap type oil filter wrench and will pursue that solution. I have the claw type wrench in my workshop but I’m afraid it will make marks in the cap or even worse crush it.

best, Peter

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You have to be careful when screwing it on or you can crossthread the cap. It may have gotten a bit of corrosion built up as its an alloy filler neck and a steel cap. As has been said try getting some penetrating oil under the cap or just use something- like a rubber stap from HF - and twist it hard. They do get tight and I have experienced a time when it felt like way more force was necessary to remove it, but it does eventually spin free.

I'm sure it will come right off with the right tool/technique. Good luck.

pshoejberg likes this.
  14. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Yup! Had that happen to me. Kind of embarrassing at gas station. Not the key as the lock function just lets cap spin. I think it might be the gas effect on rubber seal? It just gets glued on there and don't recall making it that tight.

Station attendant offered to try so I felt it safe to let him (a Sword-in-the-Stone moment) - Nope!. Went home and used the rubber strap wrench. EZ! Now I'm very careful on tightening.

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    put a little oil on the gasket sometimes

16. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hi Peter, my fuel cap was kind of stuck once and luckily decided to come loose.

However I was ready for the next step as already suggested by Drew, refer to the picture: while operator 1 applies anti-clockwise torque on the cap, operator 2 repeatedly taps gently on the lock with a rubber hammer through a 10mm bolt, the vibrations will hopefully starts a micro movement of the thread and allow the cap to open. Could be done with just one operator if hammering directly on the cap (without the bolt). Not easy to implement as there is not a lot of space in the area.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

pshoejberg likes this.
  17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Mission completed! The cap is now removed without damaging the fragile and no longer available fuel cap or filler pipe. I used the following procedure: Removed the fuel filler pipe with the stuck cap and soaked the threads in WD40 over the night. This morning I bought a oil filter wrench and modified it with a rubber liner to avoid scratching the cap. I mounted the fuel filler in a vise and carefully heated the the cap with a electric heat gun and unscrewed the cap using the oil filter wrench and very little force. The threads must have been bone dry and it doesn't help that there is new plating on both cap and pipe. I added some anti-seize before the cap was re-installed. Thanks a lot to all for great help and inspiration.

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would totally NOT use that locking style and go with our 308 style cap.

There's a later version shown in this thread but the original ones are a metal cap with outer plastic grab ring.
    Unobtainium Supply can rebuild the outer ring making a fresh one.

Like someone is stealing gas at $1.65 a gallon??

:D :D :D

19. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    pshoejberg likes this.
  20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I wish.....In my part of the world it's closer to $6 a gallon, that kind a justify the cap. Also the cap is original to the car and it looks so damn cool....;)

Best, Peter

turbo-joe likes this.