Fuel Leak after tire change | FerrariChat

Fuel Leak after tire change

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DocBasilone, Jun 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Put on New Tires yesterday on My 1990 Mondial T Cab, Drove car about 40 miles and strong oder of Gas on last mile. Pulled in Driveway and fuel flowing out Drivers side just in front of Rear wheel. Coul also hear hissing. Eventually stopped and was able to pull vehicle into garage. Not sure where to start Tank? due to hissing, would lines also hiss, are they under pressure like the tank.? Is there a possibility the mechanic placed jack on or near tank or hose?

2. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    Fuel lines (forward and return) are attached to the fuel pump in front of rear wheel under the car. The panel underneath the fuel tank is easily removed to have a look. Yes, the jack was possibly placed right under where the fuel lines connect to the fuel pump. Hissing may be due to damaged connections at the fuel pump.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Have it towed back to the shop and ask for an inspection, and for them to make it right.

4. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    thanks thats what I though...the search begins

5. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Its a Firestone tire shop, Im just wondering if they are going to make matters worse?

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You want to have them at least inspect it, and cough up to what they did wrong. How you fix it is up to you at that point. Take it to Ferrari and send Firestone the bill.

DocBasilone likes this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Your fuel pump and the enclosed filter is there, hoping they just broke some of the metal lines, and not the tank itself.

Wow.

I take my rims in for tires, I guess this is why!

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Probably.

I had a muffler replaced at a shop on my TR6. By the time I drove home, the car was engulfed in flames. Good thing I had the top down.

DocBasilone likes this.
  9. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    The leak was really heavy and eventually stopped Hosed it down with foam detergent (Undercarraige) and was at 1/4 tank when done was previously at 3/4
    Took it over to Firestone 1/2 mile with fire extinguisher in hand. The owner said he questioned the "Mechanic" who did the job, He initially put one of the 225 tires on front and 205 on rear on one side only and test drove nearly went off road!! They could not get their lifts under car due to height so the elevated it with their Alignment lift!! and he said it was "a tight Squeeze". unbelievable Lesson learned "Go with who you Know!!!"

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is what happened. Their two post lifts have those swinging arms that lift the car at the spot in front of the rear tires. Unless they know where to place the jacking pads, they would normally place it ... right under the gas tank on a Ferrari. Judging from the larger tire in front comment about the mechanic, this is either a new apprentice left to work on his own (any monkey can do that!) or a very incompetent mechanic.

So what is the fix for you car?

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I normally take my set of wheels and new tires to the shop. They have little chance of screwing it up that way.

DocBasilone likes this.
  12. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Waiting on the eval unfortunately im in the OR all day and cant be there to breath down there neck. All I want is to find the problem and then take it somewhere where it can be fixed right, at there expense of course. What I dont want is for them to think they can run down to the local autoparts store and plug the Dam, so to speak

I have an appointment with George Riggins in Harmony PA on Tuesday to adjust my valve lash so this to can be addressed.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have a friend who is well to do and likes to race his Ferraris. He hired a racing support company that comes with a 18 wheel truck, transports his 3 race cars to a race track, provide driving instruction and a support team of 3 mechanics. So, these mechanics are good, except that they don't work on Ferraris all the time. So one of them goes to place the jack under the car to lift it up for inspection of something. Yup, right under the radiator for the 355 Challenge. Crushed the thin under panel and the radiator (on both sides) and put the car out of commission that day.

The owner of the support team coughed up the replacement radiators ($2,000) and the repair of the underpanels. No profit that weekend.

With a Ferrari, you have to show the mechanic where to put the jack. Can't assume they know because they don't know.

DocBasilone likes this.
  14. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Tire dealership said no signs of leak?? All hose look "normal" when the hell did they ever inspect a Ferrari?? Owner is mysteriously absent today ! Told them
    Park it inside and wait for transport

15. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Maybe they fixed the damaged they caused and are now telling you....no issues found.

16. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Had the car looked at today after removing plate over tank a bb size indentation was seen not on the bottom but high up almost to the crease on the rear aspect of the tank facing backwards?????? How the hell did that happen. It was the leak point as well. Can a tank be patched? Spit welded. Ricambia has tank for 3700. Crazy pricing

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Any tank can be fixed, finding out how to remove it is the question

18. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
  19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  20. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    No split. It’s as if it was poked. There is an indentation you can feel, as if a bb was shot but did not go through. Maybe it was damaged with the engine out service and when under pressure started to leak?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    No point taking out if you cannot find a leak in it. Are you sure this is the leaking point then ?

22. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Obvious leak point maybe it was weakened with the engine out service and dsmaged then. It was a 90 degree day when I drove it, and I have previously had aLOT of pressure buildup in Gas Tank when opening for refueling. Maybe between the heat and weak area it gave way.

23. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    My car is also being looked at for tapping at higher RPMS possibily needinig Valve lash adjustment, and I was just told Noise is minor so unless taking out for Timing belt would not touch it?? I thought you can adjust Valves from above without engine out in a 1990 T