355 - Clear turn signal refurbishment project | FerrariChat

355 Clear turn signal refurbishment project

Discussion in '348/355' started by Culprit, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hi all!

I’m excited to share with you a hobby project which has gotten a bit out of hand..

In the past few years, F355 turn signal units have started to become very rare, and especially the European-style clear units are hard to find and are now selling for 4 figures per set. The clear units are certainly favorable to the orange ones, and switching them out is one of the nicest and simplest upgrades for the F355.

I started to research the possibility of replicating or refurbishing these parts. I bought some spares and cut them open... These are not designed to come apart easily!! They are actually made of three parts which are fused together - the housing, the outer lens - and a clear inner lens.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The initial plan was to 3D print the outer lenses, but quickly it became obvious that the qualities we want in the lens - clarity, UV resistance and shatter resistance - were not well suited to 3D printing. Actually, I found that these parts take very well to being resin cast. By casting these, we can achieve crystal clear parts which closely emulate the properties of the injection molded originals.

So I started researching resin casting, and buying equipment to start creating prototypes. This was a completely new process to me, and I enjoyed learning about different silicons, resins, clays for creating molds, heating techniques, vacuum degassing, curing etc. The projects was especially though since we’re dealing with clear parts - any imperfections cannot be fixed with bondo!

So anyway, after many, many months of research and trial & error, I was finally able to achieve the results I was looking for!

I’ve created 3 additional sets to partly offset the investment I have into the project. They will be listed in the for sale section.

Please share feedback on the project! It has been a great hobby so far, and a good excuse to buy more cool gear for the garage. If there is significant interest, I’ll consider pursuing this more earnestly and manufacture additional units, or cast other NLA parts the community might be looking for. Currently there are more man hours involved in each part than I care to admit, and to scale up production, I need to invest in a compression chamber, compressor and a few other materials & tools.

tres55, bcar1, bjwhite and 6 others like this.
  2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Wow, very nice

3. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Beautifully done!!! Wow!

Culprit likes this.
  4. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Awesome this looks really well designed.

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    348 fog lights are similarly scarce and pricey and I would think be a high demand for. I know I need a pair.

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Wowza. That's impressive.

7. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks for the kind comments!

8. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I’d love to help out the 348 guys as well. The fog light lens is made of glass on the 348? At least it looks like just the outer lens is designed to be replaced more easily? This might be a lot simpler than the F355 project. If I cast those as a lightweight, more economical alternative, you think there’d be some demand out there?

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I think one can just buy the 348 lens which isn't that $ but the whole fog light assembly is $2K+ and up for decent usable ones.

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Well done and impressive. See how these three sets move decide if it’s worth the effort. Good luck!

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Fog light lenses, the Carillo ones? They are easy to find I have 2 new sets in the box.
    For example http://www.superformance.co.uk/348/lights.html

The 355 casting looks great, what was the material used?

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This is awesome!

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Fantastic job Culprit! Almost makes me wish I had a 355. Almost.

14. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I use a 2-part polyurethane system from a local company called BJB (WC-783). The resin takes a good while to fully cure, but the quality of the final product is great. The material is crystal clear and is resistant to impact, oxidation and UV light.

15. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Are they a replica of the originals? I'm from Down Under. When and if you need RWC all lights, indicators and such must comply with ADR. Do your smick lense have the ADR compliant applicable No's on them. Reason I ask is they look great. Well done

16. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    That sounds like a strict inspection process! The lenses have international E markings and indicate SAE standards and DOT compliance. Could you confirm if this matches what you require in Australia?

Qavion likes this.
  17. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    DOT and SAE perfect well done. Due to so many after market products RWC inspectors are pretty tough on the ADR compliance.

18. texasnoiz

texasnoiz Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    k s
    you got skills. bravo!

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Very nicely done, Ian!

Barry

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Does the index of refraction match that of the OEM lens material? (Had to ask. ) :)

21. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    The look fantastic.

22. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    The OEM material is PMMA (acrylic). According to Wikipedia, the accepted index of refraction for acrylic is 1.490-1.492. The main component of the resin I use is Dicyclohexylmethane, which has an index of refraction of 1.474, so the delta is just 0.016. The inner lens is re-used. So I'd say the visual impression between the two is virtually identical. :)

ShineKen, 308 GTB and drbob101 like this.
  23. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'll have a set up on eBay as well. Let me know next time anyone gets a bad rock chip or wants to convert to the clear lenses.

24. ddg599

ddg599 Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    Great work and ingenuity. Are they still available? If so, I could use a pair.
    Thanks
    Gregg
    98 F355