What did you do to your car today? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What did you do to your car today?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've never actually read a "how to" on adjusting the shifter. Mine was slightly forward and glanced gates when moved silde to side.
    What I did was, after shifter is back in place, I simply loosened the the 19mm (i think) lock nuts at the transmission end out the shifter rod. I first adjusted the back/forth so it was dead center between the gates in the forward/rear orientation. Then carefully tighten it as to not mess up the left right orientation. It may take a few tries to get it perfect, one it is, then cinch it down tight.
    no rattle, its perfect.

audi_328 likes this.
  2. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Thanks Ken, I’ll be working on it tomorrow afternoon, that’ll help finish it up.

Main thing I wanted to do was try the “Andy 355” method of a little brass shim between parts 9&10 from the parts diagram to make my 4500rpm 3rd gear lever buzz stop...drives me nuts!

3. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    I was in the engine bay identifying electrical constant hot wires. It was really dark because the trunk lid blocked light above so I premaritally added LED work lights into the back side of the lid along with a switch and the light will not come on if the lid is closed. All wires and switch are hidden. Took 3 hours, plus $50 and change. Also added the black stripes to the right of the horse emblem. Thought I share.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Cool addition

Did you use existing screws/fixtures, add new ones or did you use double-sided tape?

5. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Double sided 3M tape.

Qavion likes this.
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes, smartly done!

Does, or will, that GT stripe run the length of the car?

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What fiberglass rod is that?

8. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    I’m not sure the rod type but it has a flex to it to curve u see the lid when in storage.

The strip doesn’t go on the trunk lid. It pops back up onto the higher portion of the hood near the windshield. Too much of a good thing is not good in my opinion.

9. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Just put away after the first drive of the season (please excuse the mess in the background), just installed the challenge grill a couple days back. Wasn't sure it would visually make a big difference on a black car, but I love the way it looks, in addition to the obvious functional benefit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Suffyk, eyeman1234, NMF1 and 3 others like this.
  10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Did the fluids a month or so ago for the driving season. Had her out & saw a dribble of coolant up the driveway & the reservoir was a tad lower. Happened a couple times.
    I had to re-anneal the block crush washers as I ran short @ coolant flush. :( Figured these were the culprits for a dribble only when the car was hot. Crawled under it. Nope. dry as a bone.
    the radiator cap tests fine. The temp is a smidge high too. So I'm thinking run it more as it might just be air pockets still in the system.
    But what I did see is both inner dust boots ripped needing replacement.

11. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Dang. Took her out for coffee & she throws a 5-8 CEL.
    Asked the ECUs: 4131 & 1212. Cleaned the MAFs & contacts for the 1212. I'll have to find the Compressor connector & see if its just bad contacts.

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

Sebring International Raceway is rough on a car. My car needed a new cooling fan and a radiator after a chunk of rubber tore through the right rear wheel well screen knocking off two fan blades and damaging the radiator. The left cooling fan has seen better days so I replaced it as well.

Final preparation is nearly done for Lime Rock Park next week.

ShineKen, Ferrarium and audi_328 like this.
  13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For the past couple of days...

Swapping out the muffler created a significant amount of project creep. Found one cat was gutted while the other looked normal, using Tubi test pipes instead. The exhaust hardware is probably original and most of it was very corroded and/or seized which took lots of PB Blaster (overnight soak) and a hacksaw as well. Now I have all new OE hardware but salvaged the springs. The exhaust gaskets between the manifolds and the old cats were rock hard and I had to gently chisel them out. Slow and tedious that was. Installed new O2 sensors and new thermocouples and did an oil and filter change "while I was in there".

Just need to put the airbox back on and fire it up. Then do a final tightening and torque.

308 GTB likes this.
  14. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Get better soon, and have fun at Lime Rock!

308 GTB likes this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Re-did corner heights on coil overs for the 4th time yesterday. Did toe adjustments as well, will get final alignment now (really just toe), double check heights on alignment rack and then make final height tweaks. Essentially it is 3/8 lower than OEM with factory rake then went down 2mm lower in rear. I will drive around and see if I stop scraping, I have bottomed out on the chassis (WHAM) out here in NJ 2 times so far so up it went. Front is now more than 1" higher than it was, rear is down to match etc. If good I will go down another 1/8". Not done and the shadows make the gaps look bigger than they are but regardless so far...

16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Thank-you, eyeman. All is well now. That chunk of rubber was lethal...

It's a good thing Miss Teschmacher was around! :)

eyeman1234 likes this.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think 348 and 355 fans are different but I have a new in box spal 348 radiator fan if you need it.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

Thanks, Eric. Both new cooling fan assemblies are in. Daniel at Ricambi America steered us in the right direction and we were able to get a pair of upgraded aluminum radiators...

Thank-you again, Daniel!

We just installed the right radiator to replace the OEM unit which was damaged. We'll keep the left radiator standing by for the time being and install it at my car's next major service next year.

The rear wheel well screens were replaced with heavier hardware cloth screen material. The fire bottle was recertified and new 3" omp harnesses installed.

Barry

19. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Well this issue escalated into very low voltage, the left headlight not popping up, and poor running and the V1 power cycling. Then the alt/batt light lights. Battery was test & fine.
    Not having the time, I had it flatbedded to AutoElite. One rebuilt alternator, one belt tensioner bearing, one light relay and one lamp contact (the right lamp wasn't lighting due to corrosion on the plug)
    and she drove home very nicely. Her wonderful burble and bark is back! And so is the smile on my face. Driving weather in the NE is back!

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  20. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Yeah! I can't wait to drive maybe tonight or tomorrow!

21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    The car has been out lately. Warm weather calls for drives :)
    but today, jumped in the car to go for coffee. Forgot to depress the clutch, turned the key and nothing. lights, buzzer, all came on fine so not the battery. Ooops. Stupid me. Turned the key a couple more times from pos 2 to start...nothing.
    Rut-Roh. Starter sticking? Key completely out, back in & she fired right up. I hate that sinking feeling when an issue pops up like this. I'll probably pull the starter & replace the internal components just as a safety measure.
    I've gotten stuck before with this issue over the years.

22. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    It is about time we meet. We are neighbors. As soon as my car is back from the shop we need to go for a drive.
    I also have a buddy in B-ville with a 328.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I started the car today for the first time since last October. First crank and it fired. Then I started the 308 for the first time since last October. Same result. Started on the first crank. It's the same boring result every year, 8 for the 355, 36 for the 308. What's the magic formula? Come October I open the garage, pull them in, disconnect the battery and forget about them. :cool:

24. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good to hear, Clyde.

25. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name: