360 - Ferrari 360 FULL Timing Belt Service - Step by Step Cam Belts | FerrariChat

360 Ferrari 360 FULL Timing Belt Service - Step by Step Cam Belts

Discussion in '360/430' started by spiderscott, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Just finished filming the Timing Belt Service on my 360

I've done the video step by step as DIY as possible without the need for very expensive tools. Hope its good and easy to follow.

It's part of the full 'major' I've been filming on the other thread but thought I would do a separate thread to make 'timing belt change' easy to find when searched.

enjoy

EhellGuapo, SS288GTO, Robb and 10 others like this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I don't own a 360 but I want to thank you on behalf of the 360 diys out there .. nice work

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

spiderscott likes this.
  3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Thanks Dominick, It was quite a task to film this. Hopefully I've done it justice and it helps a few people out.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    When you do a 512tr major I will definitely be watching as well

5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Not quite a 512 TR but very close. My 1987 Testarossa will soon be getting the major done, when I have the garage space its in the pipeline to be done. i will film the full process again when I do it. Should be pretty similar the 512 setup.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The process will be similar except removing drive train I believe which is hard to find anyway (video that is)

7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Thanks Scott. About time someone did this. Nice job and although I have done this and have the wsm it’s great to watch and review before I embark again.

I also have used iPhone apps for checking frequency and worked like a charm. I was able to borrow a Ducati frequency meter from a friend the first time I did a major. I found the app was spot on. Got to love smart phones!

I am not a pro, but a couple of little pearls I came up with:

- I used a dollop of play dough and took an impression of the cam marks. Worked amazing to visualize the marks. I was able to save the original impressions and compare them the the marks after degreeing the cams. I could not see the mark on the cam because it’s a hair thick.

- I found putting the belt on the gears, then installing the tensioner bearing made putting on the belt a lot easier. I like your tip of using those clamps to hold the belt.

I believe there should be a piece of radiator hose on the cam gears between the gear and vise grip to prevent marring the gear ( may not matter).

Thanks for making the video, and was definitely worth watching for me.

-ray

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Great job filming this. I've done this job 3X and i just wouldn't have the patience to film it.

spiderscott likes this.
  9. Ernieinky

Ernieinky Rookie

May 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ernst
    Scott, enjoying your set of videos. Couple questions, how many km/how old were the belts you replaced? I see some replace tensioners, any thought? And since the 360 is your daily, what have you been using during down time? Cheers, Ernie.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Thanks Dino, It took a lot longer than I originally thought to film this :D

11. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Cheers ray, some great extra tips there. Love the play dough idea, even more DIY than my £15 scope camera :cool:

12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    #12 spiderscott, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Hi Ernie
    My belts were long overdue, they were over 5 years old and done a fair few miles, I'm about to do another LeMans trip in the car and the 'Major' has been on my list of to do's for a while. I inspected the tensioners and they appear ok (as you see in the Extra part of the video at the end, I even had to compress them both and they functioned well., some have them changed as part of the major but I chose not to. Will however do them next time around and also look at the cam timing to see if it has any room for improvement.

I'm lucky enough to own a few Pracing Horses, while the CS Daily was off the road, I stretched the legs of a couple of other FCars

Great article about my Ferrari passion in the current Forza magazine, I even made the cover :D:D:D

https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/175/articles/the-everyman

albkid, rennspeed, flash32 and 2 others like this.
  13. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Fantastic work filming this... I'm in the middle of it myself, always good to see it for real instead of just replaying it in your head while reading the WSM...
    Thank you for sharing!!

spiderscott likes this.
  14. ThunderHill

ThunderHill Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Full Name:
    Toby Smith
    Based. I'm doing my gated 02 as soon as I get back from the W World Cup, I've got the Forza article, the factory manual, and a whole bunch of trans/engine work under my belt on Vipers and Vettes. I'll let you know how it goes.

spiderscott likes this.
  15. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    dude impressive!

spiderscott likes this.
  16. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Hey Scott, thought since I’m in the midst of my major, I’d add my little tid bit to your nice belt service thread.

When I did my last major I decided to degree the cams. It was impossible for me to see the cam scribe marks, regardless of what I did . I took an impression with playdough, but that was with the valve covers off and was easier. This time I’m not doing the valve covers gaskets and I found a more elastic option was needed. So I turned to:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This worked flawlessly. Keep in mind there should be a little lube on the cam ends to decrease adhesion. This will be present.

First roll the stuff into a turd, and try to get out any creases.

Now push it into the 10:30 position on the 5-8 bank, and 1:30 on the 1-4 bank. This is in line with the bolt hole for the inspection cover.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Should come out easily. The first few times on each cam the is residual oil should be fine. If you do it a few times you may want to put a tiny film of oil on the putty.

Voila!

Snap a pic just to be anal so there is nothing left.

Here’s an example of my 5 year old playdough impressions I kept for posterity.

I don’t think the silly puffy will hold up to 4 years on the shelf as it tends to be more amorphous and “melt” over time. (Childhood experience I don’t play with it any more).

- I hope this helps just one person.

-ray

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am into this job now and wanted to say thanks so much for making the video. I am presently looking at what material I have around my shop to fashion a flywheel lock tool. I should have bought one but now I don't want to wait for it to get here! What kinds of MacGyvering have you guys done to lock up that flywheel so the main shaft nut can be removed? Mine is a three pedal.

18. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Simple and cheep. Put car in gear put on ebrake and have wife or assistant step on brake. Crank Bolt should brake free. This has Worked flawlessly for me many times.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  19. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I so wish I had some level of aptitude to do this sort of thing.

20. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Am i the only person being really thick and not understanding how this works? Must be more too it?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#21 24000rpm, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    i never tried this method. but I think what he meant is this:

when the car's engine's off, the clutch is firmly pressed to the flywheel, which means any engine rotation would result in tire rotation. ( i don't think this is true, though)

by putting into a gear or get a firm step on the brake, u stopped the tire from moving , hence stopped the engine from rotating

under this condition, you can use a socket to remove the crank bolt.

above is I think what he meant. But I think I understood him incorrectly, because this method isn't going to work ---- rotate the engine and the rear wheel/tire will not move

22. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    In a manual car you can put it in gear when it's off.

23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

in an f1 car you can do the same.

The clutch will not bite the flywheel when engine is off.

24. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

So if you put a MT car in gear when not running it will roll?

This is a common old school method which as long as the clutch is good will work. I have used it three times to both break, and re-torque the crank bolt on my 360.

If you don’t want to try it just buy the special tool for $250.

25. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

let me try it in a few hours. I have the engine inspection cover off as we speak.