348 - Clutch Pedal Engagement- Little Resistance First 1/3 | FerrariChat

348 Clutch Pedal Engagement- Little Resistance First 1/3

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jasonberkeley, May 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    On my 348 Challenge (which I do track), after getting the car back from annual maintenance, (which included a new throwout bearing, as old one was leaking), I noticed the clutch pedal on the car has little resistance the first 1/3 of travel. Then it feels "normal."

Is this normal, and i've just forgotten what it feels like, or do you think I may have an issue?

I searched and read through a number of clutch threads, but nothing I could find on this specific observation. Driven the car about 150 - 200 miles since I noticed this. No performance issues (yet).

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has (had) similar experience and was it determined to be a problem, and if so, how was it fixed?

Thanks!

2. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I changed my clutch over the winter, which included an upgrade to Hill Engineering flange and bearing.

While bleeding my clutch, which they should have done in changing your bearing, the clutch pedal was very light.

Did you have them service the brake fluid (flush) on the car?

My 348 Spider has a light pedal compared to my M3, but it’s consistent throughout travel.

I went thru 3/4 of a liter of DOT 4 fluid (from Ferrari of Atlanta) bleeding the air out of my clutch before it became ‘bubble free’.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JL350 likes this.
  3. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    my guess is you have some air in the delivery pipe up by the master. The initial 1/3'd is compressing the air, followed by proper flow/movement. I'll surmise that when they changed out the TO bearing, time allowed the system to drain.... and air in now in. You may have to bleed the master 1st, and then reattach the delivery pipe to completely get the trapped air out. Sometimes air will trap itself at the master, giving a mushy feel. GL.... get lots of dot 4!

4. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Ive ordered a pressure bleeder which I should have this week. Will bleed and report back- thanks for the feedback all!

cardude442 likes this.
  5. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You may have to bleed it numerous times to get all of the air out.
    I'm just wrapping up a major on my 355 and have bled the clutch at least 5 times, and still have a little bit of "mush" at the very top of the travel. Each time, more bubbles come out, and it gets slightly better.
    I'm using a Motive power bleeder. They work great. Good luck!

6. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Thanks! Hope to get to it this weekend!

7. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Was finally getting around to bleeding the clutch yesterday, and before I started noticed a rectangular shaped damp area on the floor under the clutch inspection cover. Damp area being same size as the cover. Not good. Wiped the inspection cover with hand and wet. Brake fluid. Called mechanic, and he reminded me that he replaced the seals in the throwout bearing and did not replace the entire unit, and that this fluid is almost certainly the throwout bearing. I recalled that he was correct. He said that best course of action was to replace the throwout bearing with a 355/360 upgraded unit. This makes sense to me, but not knowing anything about the differences in parts and compatibility, can anyone advise if they have done the same and how that worked out? Car is going back to mechanic today. Thanks for any help or feedback!

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So he replaced the seals but not the unit or the bearing in the unit. Odd but ok probably cost more in labor that id=t does for a new Hill TOB. I suspect the triple seals BTW not the TOB. It is possible the TOB cracked like they tend to do, more so when clutch is worn for some reason. My advise when fixing a consumable item is always replace it, don't fix it.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/crb355ms-348-f355-clutch-release-bearing-168594.html

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    3/4s of a liter? haha. Don't you mean 750mL? ;)

308 GTB likes this.
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Or 7.5 dL? :)

11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    That is what he is going to be using, along with the updated Hill Engineering flange, etc...

cardude442 likes this.
  12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Right I am sure he is yes. What I am not clear on is why he pulled apart the old one and replaced seals and stuff in it originally, was it leaking then? And why nor replace it then, the first time. Have him check it out, the TOB may be fine its possibly the triple seals which if so, means need a clutch/pressure plate issues now too. As far as the flange it is only needed if you have the older flange I suspect on the Challenge car it has the updated flange. Best of luck and post up some track pics!

13. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    The throwout bearing was leaking first time during annual service. Nothing else. He said 9 times out of 10, new seals solve the problem, and much less invasive and cheaper, so I figured try that route first. Oh well- lesson learned!

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Does your mechanic wear a skippers cap?A little car talk humor for those who know the show talk ha ha. :p
    Ok glad it will get sorted, that TOB and clutch is on my list of things to do as well. Also the TOB casting actually cracks, pic courtesy of Ernie. Get the original part from the and post pics if so and report back if that curs your pedal engagement issue, good info for future folks.:) Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Hey Eric,

Definitely getting original parts back. I will post pics. Also replacing the original clutch master cylinder as long as we are dealing with the clutch's hydraulic system. Working just fine now, but considering i'm tracking the car, better to be safe then sorry. Should have car back Monday or Tuesday.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Definitely best of luck!

17. honda.vfr

honda.vfr Karting

Jun 22, 2012
    Ostrava, CZ (EU)
    Full Name:
    Milan Pukl
    The correct abbreviation for the liter should be written with a lowercase L

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Both ml and mL are correct abbreviations. In hospital patient charting we use mL to avoid confusion of the lower case l with the number 1.

19. honda.vfr

honda.vfr Karting

Jun 22, 2012
    Ostrava, CZ (EU)
    Full Name:
    Milan Pukl
    Sorry, my fault, you’re right .. In US it’s recommended to use L especially for the reason you stated - but not common in European countries using the metric system for a long time.. Sorry again, no more off-topic ;)