812 GTS v 330 GTC | FerrariChat

812 GTS v 330 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by irvinest, Jun 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    I am lucky enough to have a garage of modern Ferraris and have a 812 GTS on order but i am debating do i need another car that drives in the same way, has too much power to be used on a road, or do i go for something older, more engaging. I have always admired the looks of the 330 GTC, it is in my price bracket in fact it would probably cost less than the 812 GTS.
    Interested in feedback on the 330 GTC and what to look out for when inspecting and potentially buying. Also any idea how many RHD cars were produced ?

Many Thanks

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2 miurasv, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    330 GTC is a great car. Different sources state there were 21, 22 or 29 RHD cars built of a total 597.

Having more or less the same chassis with Independent Rear Suspension, a rear mounted Transaxle, short 2400 mm wheelbase, torque tube drive shaft and 14" diameter wheels, it's basically a 275 GTB with a coupe body, a more airy interior and a bigger, but less highly strung engine, and a fraction of the price.

Look out for rust, previous accident damage and incompetent/bodged previous restoration and repairs. Non matching numbers affect value. If you are looking at a restored car, who restored it is very important imo. Provenance and history is very important too.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Forgot to say to get any car you're interested in making an offer on inspected by someone with experience of V12 Colombo engined Ferraris as they are costly to remedy if they need attention.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    The real questions you should ask are about yourself ...... can you still drive a stick shift Ferrari in traffic with light manual steering? Does modern climate control Matter to you in the UK ? If you have a garage full of modern Ferrari cars go for a 330 or 365 GTC you can easily restore or redo any part with money . If you cannot enjoy a classic the 812 GTS will be incredible

TTR and turbo-joe like this.
  5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #5 miurasv, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    The 365 GTC will be more money, and a better, more developed and faster car with more low down power, but not quite as pretty in many people's opinion, without the attractive fender vents of the 330 GTC, that were moved to the bonnet for the 365 GTC. 26 RHD cars are said to have been built.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    In your shoes, I would definitely go for the 330. More fun, more style, and less depreciation.

Oengus and readplays like this.
  7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Have you tried a Daytona?

-K1- likes this.
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I own a 612 and a 365GT, so I have some perspective on this. They are very different, and yet also the same. Both are grand touring cars and work well for long distance travel, but the old car just demands more of you-- and I would argue gives you more back in return. The modern cars are just such amazing performers, it is staggering-- the old cars are amazing for the era, but not in the same league. But the sounds, smells, and feeling of the old cars just cannot be beat.

I would go for the 330. Or a 365 if you can find one. It's worth it.

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It depends on how you like your creature comforts as said, plus if you like tinkering, a well-used sorted car will be ok, but you always have in the back of your mind, what is that noise, also if you are married take in to consideration if your wife/ partner and if they would feel safe in it.

I had the Daytona for 12 years but as we have grown older we needed more reliability and comfort so have also a GTS on order.

Re price a RHD 330 GTC would be a fair bit more than a GTS, looking on classic car, the cheapest is a LHD car for £415,000, a GTS with good options will be 50k less, that’s before you have spent money on the GTC correcting things.
    If money is no object and you have garage space go for it but don’t cancel the GTS it will be an amazing car.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    So, what modern Ferraris are in the garage?

11. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've previously owned a 1999 360 Modena and 2007 F430 (ordered new). I currently own a 2010 California GT (ordered new) and a 1966 330 GTC. Out of all of them, I drive the 330 GTC the most. I love the sound, smell, handling, etc. and I really enjoy the analogue experience in this digital world. Maintained well, they drive great - handle traffic, freeways, back roads, and have just enough modern tech - disc brakes, power windows, A/C (mine has factory A/C). I added a hidden USB power supply and radio input (to the original Becker radio) and can use my iPhone for directions or music if needed. Generally I don't though. Heck - I even threw the belts on a long drive to our 2nd home (wonky A/C bracket had things not quite aligned) and drove it the rest of the summer with no belts under the hood - I just trickle charged the battery each night after driving the car. Finally took it back home and to my mechanic and had that issue sorted for good.

The only thing that worries me is the lack of even a modest amount of modern safety equipment. No crumple zones, no break-away steering wheel shaft, wood/steel wheel, not sure if the glass is safety glass, no whiplash protection/headrests on the seats. I do have 3 point seat belts though.

In any case, I rarely drive my California GT anymore and probably should sell it to someone who would use it more. But I love driving the GTC. Might also help to mention that my "daily driver" is a 2000 Honda S2000 that I bought new back in late 1999 - so I'm pretty used to small, light, open (the 330 GTC is a coupe but feels very open) manual 2-seaters.

Good luck with the hunt!

Oengus, LVP488, -CD- and 4 others like this.
  12. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    Many thanks for you responses. I feel inspired to go and search for a sorted 330gtc. In terms of creature comforts I can live without a fair few such as climate, stereo, and power steering. I think all that is made up for by the smell, style and engagement of a classic.
    Absolutely will do, I would get Aldo Riti from riverside to inspect any car before I buy. Top bloke and expert in these cars.
    Totally agree with you

13. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    I have tried one but I think that the 330 gotcha is a better looking car, but that is just my personal taste and either would be a great addition to an enthusiast’s garage.
    Yeah I’m married, and 4 daughters as well. We have a series 1 e type OTS that the mrs loves but I think that is because it is convertible, not sure she will see the same allure of a 330gtc. On price I think listed may be very different from where the transaction takes place on hammer price app the 330gtc has been struggling to get anywhere near £350k for lhd cars.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    LVP488, -CD-, SCantera and 1 other person like this.
  15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    yes, they have

jcavalie likes this.
  16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, a 330GTC would be a great addition for you!

I wonder what the response would be if you asked this question in one of the modern forums?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I will try to be short....although hard for me when the GTC is the subject. My first was in 1976 and was my only car for years. Since then I have owned 15 different FCars including my 2nd GTC which I have carefully upgraded. New cars are incredible. My "not so new" 599 and SA are great cars but not as engaging as the GTC. The 330 is not fast. But it feels and sounds fast. You have to DRIVE the 330. No nannies. No black boxes. Simple and beautiful. You feel the car from your seat and through the wheel. Once you get comfortable the car will be comfortable with you. I know....that sounds strange....but it's not once you know what the car can do and you drive it the way the car responds best.

Finding the right GTC is not easy. These are 53 year old cars. Before I go down the road of saying more if you have any questions of what to look for feel free. I know GTCs. Best car I have ever owned.

Texas Forever and irvinest like this.
  18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Amazing collection! Congratulations!!! All you need now is a 330/365 GTC and then a Dino 246GT, a Daytona and a Boxer.

19. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    I asked - it was tumble weed - 1 response telling me don’t do it. Issue is all the modern cars are great but I just feel that they have too much power and are a bit of a nanny state with their electronics and driver aids.

turbo-joe likes this.
  20. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    Tried a Dino- I just couldn’t get comfortable in the seat. Let’s start with the 330 thx and see where we go from there. As you might be able to tell I will probably be looking for a silver car. Talacrest have one for sale, so will start there when cv 19 permits.

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, I was joking but you may get hooked on classic Ferraris to go with you fabulous modern Ferraris. Would you buy a LHD car then? The 330 GTC at Talacrest here does look very nice.

22. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    Would I buy LHD. I think given how few RHD cars were made I am probably going to have to go LHD. Yes Talacrest car seems nice, that car is what got me thinking about whether I need another modern Ferrari in my garage, but asking is £425, which I think may be 50k too high in current market, happy to be corrected though. Anyway I need to wait until we are allowed to move around a bit before I go and have a look. I take it Talacrest’s reputation is good given the amount of cars they sell and the length of time they have been going for?

23. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Objectively the 812 is a brilliant car and I suspect the option of opening the top makes it even better as you will get to hear that V12. The problem for me is it is far too capable for UK roads and their speed limits. I took part in the Enzo magazine comparison bringing my Daytona to meet a 550, 599 F12 and the 812 (thanks to COViD sister magazine Evo is running a version of the same article this month). Driving the Daytona back to back with the 812 on some fantastic roads the Daytona was objectively inferior in every measure but also a lot more enjoyable, at legal speeds than the new car. In the 812 I was constantly worried about accidentally breaking the speed limit without even realising it as 80mph feels like 40mph in the Daytona.

I've driven several 330 and 365GTC's (and a 330GTS) and due to their smaller footprint they might have been even more enjoyable than the Daytona on those roads? They are great cars and personally I would go for a 365 rather than a 330 as the extra grunt and detail upgrades more than compensate for the loss of the pretty side vents.

Having said all that I guess it comes down to how you plan to use the cars? The 812 like any modern Ferrari can be driven almost 365 days a year, your partner is not going to complain about fuel / old car smell, and you can sit in traffic turn up the stereo and not worry about the temprature guages going up. An old Ferrari whether it be a Daytona or 330 is at it's best as a weekend/ once or twice a month car, that requires more thought will be needed in terms of storage, maintenance etc.

-K1- and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    "Er, what's a 330 GTC?", maybe?:D

donv, Texas Forever, irvinest and 2 others like this.