Comfort vs. Sport | FerrariChat

Comfort vs. Sport

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, Jun 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I drive my California T with the mannetino set to Sport all the time, but does anyone know the specific differences between the modes?

I would guess we're talking about suspension settings (in Magneride cars), throttle mapping, how soon the car shifts if it's in Auto mode, and, perhaps, how quickly the manual shifts are performed by the DCT.

Mostly I am curious about the exhaust and the valves in the mufflers. My understanding is the valves are open upon cold start (as there is no vacuum to keep them closed), and they stay closed to a certain RPM whereupon they open up. (Some people disconnect the vacuum line to the mufflers so they are wide open all the time.)

But is there any difference to the exhaust valves if you are in Comfort vs. Sport -- i.e. do the valves open more readily in Sport mode (or at a lower RPM than Comfort mode) or is that strictly a vacuum function and they perform identically regardless of what mode you're in?

Running on the highway with the top down at a constant RPM, I am not noticing any difference in sound switching the mannetino from Sport to Comfort and vice versa. But the previous owner may have disconnected the vacuum lines for all I know, I do not think they are visible without removing the undertray. I could be wrong about that, though.

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great question. I'd like too know as well.

With regards to exhaust valves I decided to unplug mine to see what it sounds like and see if I will like it.

After 3 hours of driving I plugged them back in as I didn't like the sound. It is super loud during initial start that I know my neighbors will hate me. And the loudness of exhaust at freeway speed gets old pretty quickly.

Perhaps later I will install a valve controller but that requires bumper removal.

To unplug the valves simply remove all the rear diffuser bolts. Then pulldown on the forward lip of the rear diffuser and you will see the blue vacuum lines. Simply unplug and cap the lines with a screw.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Interesting, Dan ... I had read that the valves were open either way on the cold start until there was enough engine vacuum to pull them closed.

Rule12b likes this.
  4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I'm not sure yet on what the default valve position is whether it's normally closed or normally open. Hopefully someone will chime in.

There is a post here I read of one super smart member. He revised the Ferrari ECU software that Comfort is normal. When set to Sport mode the valves are commanded always open. Smart!

I understand he's moved on already as Im sent him a PM asking if he can update my ECU software and willing to compensate him for his time but I received no reply.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had over 4 years in a F430 Spider, loved it, after a short while found out how easy to open the valves. When I first did it I thought I would never plug back in. I soon realized Ferrari had it just right from the factory. Crazy loud cold starts in garage, drone on the highway etc. Put back and never looked back!
    6 Months in my Cali T and I think Ferrari got it right again. Not going to waste time or money messing it up.

6. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Now I have a non-magneride Cali-T I test drove both and found the standard suspension excellent. (I believe it was sorted out when moving from the Cali to the Cali T? Anyway the manual states the sport setting adjusts the dampers for more aggressive driving. My car is fitted with Eilbach coilovers. I have nothing against Magneride, it works well on the Escalade and other vehicles. But a used Cali T buyer passing on a car without it would be a shame. It was not on my must have list.

BLAMPEE likes this.
  7. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    I've only had my car for about 8 months. It's used on nice days and more of a garage queen than a daily driver so I'm still learning it. It has magna ride and I usually keep the car in sport. But recently I was on a highway going about 75...and I was getting a ridiculous vibration in the cabin...judder...noise...etc. It felt like the car really didn't like the way the hwy was paved...so I decided to put the manettino in comfort just to see if it would make any difference. Wow...what a difference! The car totally smoothed out in about 30 seconds. Really happy I have it now!

BLAMPEE likes this.
  8. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I would say MOST Calis for sale do not have Magneride based on the last few months of searching.

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The Cali T HS was the only way to get mangneride I thought.

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Standard with the HS package, optional otherwise, the tell for the T is the "bumpy road" button on the steering wheel.

I don't think there's a way to tell if a Cali or Cali 30 has Magneride unless you check the option sheet, or look at the shocks themselves.

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The build sheet will show if the car has magneride option.

The easiest way to tell is Magneride has the blue button on the left of the steering wheel with the shock absorber symbol.

12. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    The valves open above 3000 RPM in sport and comfort mode for the Cali T.

The Portofino uses the manettino to deal with the valves: above 3000 RPM in comfort mode and alsways open in sport mode.

Ferrari salesman explained it to me when I asked them to install the capristo remote valve control. A must have for the Cali T. Plenty of noise on demand but back to tranquility when bored.

whatheheck and vjd3 like this.