My new to me 2016 California T | FerrariChat

My new to me 2016 California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by whatheheck, Jun 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I had a 2003 360 Spider, owned that for 3 years & loved it.
    Then a 2006 F430 Spider, owned that for 3 years too and loved it.
    Sold my F430 two months ago so time to hunt for my next Ferrari.

I just turned 62, retired 4 months ago and I now want to spend more time driving my car than working on cars.
    My wife also requested a more comfortable and more civilized car so she can ride me once a while.

My 360 and F430 were Rosso Corsa so I thought I'd try a different color this time. My favorite color is blue.

Found this 2016 California T from Ferrari of Salt Lake City, Utah with all the Options I am looking for except parking cameras. Only 7K miles, CPO, 2 year New Power Warranty, new tires, new battery, new rims, etc. Pristine condition. Love the cuaio natural tan brown interior color.

I thought I can post it here now and include my reviews after almost a month of ownership.

Pros:
    • Outstanding looks and body style. Get lots of attention that its almost embarrassing....
    • Amazing power and torque (553hp and 557 /bs/ft torque). And max torque available on 7th gear. Blows my mind.
    • Much better build quality. Leather is super nice.
    • Carbon Ceramic Brakes = super powerful & predictable. Excellent cold bite. Although I need to adjust my normal braking habits as if I brake as I’m used to with steel brakes I will be about 2 car lengths from the car in front of me.
    • With CCM brakes, almost zero brake dust. And based on what I read I understand with no race track driving it should last 100K miles.
    • Love the dual & wet clutch. Softer shifts and I understand clutch should last a long time.
    • Gear selector button on the center console is very easy to push to engage. Light touch.
    • I like the CarPlay, Heated Seats, Magneride, and HiFi Option is good too but could be better sounding.
    • My boss at home loves it.

Dislikes:
    • For the amount of money they charge for the options the Infotainment / Stereo System could be better.
      Bass sound is nice and low. Mids are muddy sounding, tweeters are lacking clarity and silky smooth highs I am used to, harsh sound at high volume. Will try and upgrade later.
    • Center console gear selector push button switch panel lights are way too dim. I will see if I can change the LED bulbs to make it slightly brighter.
    • Turn signal sound is way too low. I cant hear it. I am not aware of any volume adjustment.

Upgrades I've done already:
    • Replaced dome lights, map lights, door lights and trunk lights with LED's. Much brighter now and the bulbs dont get hot.
    • I installed switched 12V power wire for Dashcam and Valentine 1 radar detector.
    • Inside the trunk is way too dark. I upgraded the trunk light to LED and added two more LED panel lights forward of the trunk. Now nice and bright in there.
    • Replaced side markers yellow lens to clear lens. Im not a fan of yellow. Bulb replaced with bright amber LED’s.
    • Installed 3rd brake light LED flasher as the brake lights are way too low from normal driver view. I’m afraid of getting rear ended. I can rewire & swap the tail lights but I’m worried with insurance & warranty coverage so perhaps later after warranty has run out.
    Love my new car.

All the best to all of you.

Enjoy life to the max and share the love and happiness with others.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gagatti, CCallaud, Flea7 and 5 others like this.
  2. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Congrats! Beautiful color combination!

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Love it Dan, such a gorgeous color combination. More details on the 3rd brake light?

whatheheck likes this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1. Would love to see an "after" picture with the clear side markers.
    T

whatheheck likes this.
  5. Bravo68

Bravo68 Rookie

Jul 23, 2019
    DFW, Texas
    whatheheck likes this.
  6. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I love love LOVE Cuoio leather!!!!

whatheheck likes this.
  7. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Dan, your car looks mint, interior colour combo is awesome. I love the idea of the 3rd brake light LED flasher if you could send me the details of what you used? Also once you have worked out how to rewire the tail light to become stop and tail I'd love to know that too. Always been wrong as it is in my opinion.
    Cheers,
    David.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Alex!

Dan

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks John!

Yes, I'm working on DIY write up on 3rd brake light LED Flasher.
    I should be done with it today and will post details here tonight.

Dan

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Tom.

Yes, will post DIY on clear side markers and 3rd brake light LED flasher here tonight.
    Super easy upgrade.

Dan

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks David.

Yes, will post DIY on 3rd brake light LED flasher here tonight. Super easy modification.

I've also started to look into what it would take to swap out the brake lights wiring.
    I already purchased the Workshop Manual and Wiring Diagram Manual.

Similar to you, I know Ferrari needs to comply with US laws but the brake light assignment being low in the bumper is just plain wrong..........

Will share here what I learn.

Dan

12. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    So, so beautiful. GORGEOUS car. And, though it seems impossible, even better in person, eh?

I love that interior. And, if I know you well enough now; when it is time for you to sell this car will be even better than when you received it.

I'm not typically a fan of dark-colored cars, because A) they're so hard to take care of, cosmetically. But B) I'm a red-head; I melt faster than most, haha. But this one is so striking. Paired with the cuoio, it's so masculine, yet refined.

I'm looking forward to following your adventures with this beautiful car!

whatheheck likes this.
  13. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.

Thanks Dan, after my road trip last week my wife mentioned that she could barely see the brake lights on the California. I came across this thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/brake-light-mods.558655/page-11#post-146991364

I am going to address the brake lights in one form or another to make them more visible.

John

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Dan!

And yes, dark colored cars is a pain in the rear end to keep clean :(

Take care & please stay safe and stay healthy.

Dan

jag-oo-r and Justicepool like this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi John,

Yes, I too searched and found that thread and read it in its entirety 4 times.
    Unfortunately that mod is for a California.

A member did the rewire to his Cali T but was not able to share enough details as an Indi shop did it for him.

Im almost done with my 3rd brake light flasher mod. WIll post it soon.
    I thought this is a good interim solution until we have enough info to do a rewire.

I will try and work on the rewire as soon as I have more time.
    Story of our lives, so much stuff to do so little time............

Dan

SLViper1 and Justicepool like this.
  16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Great review Dan, love that blue...its amazing!

Flea7 and whatheheck like this.
  17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Justicepool likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go Tom,

I am not a fan of the amber side marker lens so I replaced mine with a clear lens.
    Then I replaced the OE incandescent bulb with a nice and bright LED amber bulb (BA9S).
    I alternate LED bulb colors between white and amber.

Super easy mod. Just pop out the lens using a plastic pry tool, replace the bulb with LED, insert the new clear lens.
    I like my set up now.

I searched and searched and unable to find a seller that sells just the side marker lens so I had to find a source that sells the entire assembly.
    Found one. Not bad, $30 for the pair. https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/light-clusters/20-clear-pair-of-turn-signal-lights-f360f430.html

Short video below.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc and Flea7 like this.
  19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Beautiful Dan ...Congrats!!!

whatheheck likes this.
  20. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Congrats, Dan! Is that Pozzi or tdf? That Cuoio interior really matches the blue.

whatheheck likes this.
  21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Ron!

Yes, its Pozzi Blue. It's non metallic dark blue basically.

I too like the Cuoio interior. My wife approves too!

Dan

f355spider and Ron328 like this.