Sold - Formula One Brabham | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sold Formula One Brabham

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by wkagan, May 28, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    F1Tommy, Yes the Judd V10 is a very sweet and reliable engine and is correct for BT60B-04. Brabham used Judds both before and after the ill fated Yamahas. One of the beauties of having a Judd engine is that they are still in business so knowledge, advice, parts, service and full rebuilds are all readily available. John Judd and his staff at Engine Developments were very helpful to us during our restoration of BT59-05. John Judd and Sir Jack Brabham actually founded the company together in 1970 after Brabham stopped using Repco engines. So much history!

I actually had fantasies of restoring BT60Y-03 if I could find a correct Yamaha engine. I searched for a couple of years to no avail. The story I got was that Yamaha took their engines back and destroyed them. I am told that the new owner of this car has found one and is planning to do a full restoration. I am really happy that another historic F1 car is being resurrected!

F1tommy likes this.
  2. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    This is one of the best known secret threads on Fchat right now.

The car, the questions, the story, the media...oh man I can't get enough.

4. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Nice photo alberto. That is certainly Damon’s helmet and he is in this car.

BigTex likes this.
  5. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It’s awesome to see a F1 car on that track! It would have been incredible to have an event there

Hightower likes this.
  6. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Thanks PureEuroM3. I agree, the experience of driving the car has been amazing, the questions here demonstrate an amazing amount of knowledge and experience on Fchat, and I still find the Brabham story amazing. When the team went into bankruptcy after the 1992 Hungarian Grand Prix their garages were literally locked up. An auction was held later and everything (cars, parts, tools, documents, etc) was sold. A dealer in Detroit bought most of the teams assets, they eventually ended up with a collector in NJ who then sold everything to me. I have spent many hours reading the amazing team documents. Hotel reservations for the South African GP, blueprints demonstrating 5 sequential redesigns of one single part in search of greater reliability, letters from Bernie about FIA rules, letters from lawyers about nonpayment of bills. Just last week I was contacted by a former team member who found documents in his attic documenting individual part histories. Fascinating history!
    My only real disappointment; We were invited to bring the BT59 and BT60 to Australia in 2018 for a Brabham reunion as part of the F1 weekend. The original drivers would drive their cars. I so much wanted to participate but had previously committed to some cousins who were going to stay with me in Salt Lake for a ski vacation. As much as I am an F1 fan, family and friends come first.

paulyp, Bisonte, JSinNOLA and 5 others like this.
  7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    This is crazy. what a cool car.

8. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I feel like I'm having a religious experience reading this thread though I happen to be an atheist.

9. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    We are members of the same club efg2014. I have had some Holy Sxxx moments in the car but have managed to never have an off track experience in it. Miller is a wonderful track in many regards but what I appreciate the most is lots of runoff room. Damon did have a few offroading trips in this car. Here is a short video of him at Hockenheim 1992.

10. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt

Attached Files:

Makuono, Eric C, J-McFly and 7 others like this.
  11. Cylinder Head

Cylinder Head Rookie

Nov 15, 2019
    Houston, Tx
    Had a nice track day yesterday... all I could think of was this thread, this car, this story... What an amazing journey.

Kudos to you and your balls of steel!

Thecadster likes this.
  12. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Ha, the balls of steel comment reminds me of a story from my youth. I promise to stop after this. About 40 years ago I was the medical resident in charge of the ICU one night working with a wonderful intern named Ingrid. We had a really tough night with multiple cardiac arrests and other disasters. The new team came in the next morning and the Cardiologist heard us complaining. He proceeded to tell us how things were much harder when he was a resident and said "those were the days of Iron Men". Ingrid responded without hesitation "you know Dr Smith that Iron Men get Rusty Balls!" I was so proud of her.

tritone, kylec, Texas Forever and 3 others like this.
  13. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    All I can say sir is your providing of your unique perspective in this thread is priceless. Especially to this lifelong F1 fan, a unique and down to earth perspective on the age old question of "what is it really like?" . Thank you.

14. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  15. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    My pleasure Hobacks427. I enjoy sharing. Have you skied the Hobacks in Jackson Hole?
    Manda racing, I haven’t seen those photos before. Thanks for adding to to the history on the car. Nice 993 build. I have a 96 993tt that has been used primarily for track days by the previous owners and by me. Lots of fun and surprisingly forgiving of amateur mistakes. I only ended up backwards in it once.

Manda racing likes this.
  16. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Indeed, I have spent time skiing the Hobacks at Jackson Hole. One of the best continuous in-bounds named runs I've found in the US and in a great part of world. Sounds like you're a skier too?

arizonaitalian likes this.
  17. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Yes, skiing is why I am based in Salt Lake City. Home mountains are Alta and Powder but I do love to travel ski. The Hobacks = sore thighs and big smiles for me!

18. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I’m not sure about anyone else but this thread makes me want to shake your hand, buy you a beer sit down shut up and just listen to you and the stories you could share.

19. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Unogib, be careful what you wish for! You really want me to share yet another story? My favorite story about sharing; I was out for a drive in my 550 Maranello about 10 years ago and stopped at my local gas station to refuel. The station attendant who was a very nice 40ish year old guy of Italian heritage ran out very excited and kept going on and on about his love for Ferraris. After I had finished paying I got out of the driver's seat, went over to the other side of the car and sat in the passenger seat. He started yelling and screaming, hopped in and we went for a lovely 15 minute drive on some of my favorite nearby twisties. His screaming did not stop until we got back to the station! I made his day and he made my day. Sharing our car passion is fun.

20. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Your last post reminded me of this scene... around 4:30 seconds.

21. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Yes, it sounded very much like that. An Italian expressing joy in a fast car. I love that scene!

22. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    this is so awesome. someone will get lucky.

23. 308GTS2B

308GTS2B Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen Safari
    Thank you for sharing your experience.
    You let me live vicariously through you in those moments. Now, when I drive my “slow” 308QV I’ll pretend I’m in your F1 and elevate the experience.
    Best wishes, with the sale and in life!
    Cheers

Thecadster likes this.
  24. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    I love your story about the 550. I’m lucky enough to have an 82 year old Italian motor engineer (still working) let me house my 550 and a couple of other cars. He treats it like a baby . He still arrives at work at 730 am and stays in the office all day . Of course he’s slowing down. “Oh doctor my shoulders hurt. What can you do for me? “ He used to go to warm water spas in Italy during our winter. By the way do you still have your 550 and how do you rate them ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. wkagan

wkagan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2004
    SF, CA and SLC, UT
    Full Name:
    Walt
    Hi 308GTS2B. I too had a 308. Wonderful car! It was my daily driver a long time ago for 3 years in Boston and never failed me. Great in the snow, on the beach, in traffic. “Slow” cars teach you how to be a better driver since they require more precision to maintain momentum. Before I started driving my F1 cars I practiced in a Formula Ford to work on all of my skills. Enjoy!