Anyone Else Thinking About Getting the New 2021 MC20??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone Else Thinking About Getting the New 2021 MC20???

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Will Motivation, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Well unfortunately for me I can't afford a new one and if/when they get to 50-100k I'll be able to buy one. At that point I won't care what other Ferrari is in that range as I think this car is more special, just how I think the 4C at around 50k used is more special than most other cars around its price range.

LightGuy and lineaTesoro like this.
  2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Target price is 180k to 200k.

3. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I hope we get clarity in September. Has Maserati issued any marketing statements for the MC20?

Maserati has indeed been a symbol of class and unique unto itself. I don't see much of either in the blue MC20. I simply block the front grill, and it's a blue Ferrari 430/458/488. Maybe management knows what will sell a Maserati, but I would find that potential lack of differentiation disappointing.

The red 'Alfieri' does a better job in that regard.. and I think the 2013 concept by Alex Imnadze captured well the 'old school' Maserati ethos ..

532D39DE-2A34-41D1-89AA-8D2AD7AEBD0B_1.jpg

Everything will depend on the segment Maserati intends the MC20 to target, and how well the car is able to meet that expectations of that segment...

Just have to wait for September.
    - Art

Pawilly and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    What will differentiate this car from the dozen or so members of this catagory ?
    Price ?
    Technology ?
    Performance ?
    Value ?

If this is to be a Halo car then it needs to be special.
    IMO a carbon fiber tub is a good place to start.
    They should not make the mistake of underpowering it if they are going to make the effort in the first place.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    One single word: Styling.
    Everything that gives identity to a brand, and separates it from others, starts there. Technology and performance can be had across a wide price range, but styling and degree of detailing will dictate a lot of the results at the higher end.. materials, touch, finish.

And yes, many car designs have failed by being underpowered.
    - Art

6. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    Yes I agree as well. Styling is critical. You can add power but can't add too much class after the fact.

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    One of my favorite lines from Ferdinand Piëch - It cost the same amount to build a beautiful car as it does an ugly one!

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There was not much to like about the verrry cold Mr Piech but he was oh so right there.

Yes and beauty sells because we are not rational when we are attracted to beauty whether it be on Michelins or Louboutins;-)

boralogist likes this.
  9. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Maserati sparks with a new audacious energy, taking the house of the Trident to the future. This is the story of evolution ignited by the clash between opposing forces, cultures and worlds. Clashes that unite, that become the very catalysts of evolution themselves.

The hybrid is coming. Live Audacious. 15.07.2020

10. Will Motivation

Will Motivation Karting

May 9, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Will Motivation
    They moved up the reveal to July 15th???

11. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    I was quoting today's Maserati PR release!

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Are people expecting this to compete with Ferrari?

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    No I think these are separate presentations: hybrid Ghibli July 15, MC20 September. The first is just a new version of an existing car, the second is a full on new model global launch, I will go down if I have time.

14. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    It's going to compete with some Ferraris, yes.

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I can only hope Maserati that had got its balls back to compete with the cars from Maranello! Long overdue...!

16. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    This car is a new product line from Maserati, it is not a limited edition model like the MC12 was. Its mission is to make the brand sporty again.

The first model will come with a 3 liter V6 TT with about 600hp. This will be followed by a hybrid version followed by a fully electric model. This wide range of power units also shows another purpose of this car; taking Maserati from the pure combustion engine to the all-electric world. The car will be very small, a pure 2 seater with mid rear engine layout.

I think it in the meanwhile it is clear that a lot of horsepower alone is no longer a unique selling point. This car will convince with its excellent driving dynamics (small, light, extremely dynamic, I suspect the McLaren Sport Series is the targeted competitor in this respect) and of course with its typical Maserati design. It seems clear that even more extreme Trofeo versions will come.

Merak1974 and Nembo1777 like this.
  17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ok, got the message! But let`s wait. Clear is the "holy cow" Ferrari will not be touched....
    They conquered the wonderful Alfieri-study for their Roma. And so Maserati seems to occupy the basic design of the Alfa C4 for their new MC20 (what a silly name....!).

18. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I am not at all sure that the "holy cow" will be kept at safe distance this time :)
    I definitively think Maserati is firm on their intent on getting racing again (that said, I think the racing success of the Gran Turismo in the GT4 class has been hugely unreported and not really been appreciated), and I am totally sure they would not care less about whatever Maranello would think about that. They have have many other competitors to think about.

19. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    However, in terms of regular car sales, and the positioning of the MC20 in the car market, yes, the MC20 will most likely be at some distance. But, that is probably where they have to be given the perception of the marque nowadays.

20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I don't really agree with the name either. But if you would follow the naming convention of the MC12, this car would be called MC6, that would be even stupider.

Regarding the "holy cow"; why always this focus on Ferrari? Maserati is not in the same segment as Ferrari, which is actually a good thing. IMO they are supposed to compete with other manufacturers, I am thinking more about Porsche. I like the idea that Maserati is the more beautiful and emotional version of the German top dog. The Levante Trofeo is already superior to the Cayenne Turbo. A Ghibli I like optically much better than the sluggish and clumsy looking cow "Panamera". Why shouldn't the MC20 become the more agile, sporty and beautiful version of the 911?

There is more market potential in the Porsche segments than in the Ferrari segments. And I want Maserati to survive.

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes, market it against Porsche, McLaren..ect. But race it also against Ferrari . I think it would fit nicely into the same class as the 488 did at the Lemans and in the IMSA series. GTLM should probably go and be replaced by what is now GT3, even if I do like the GTLM cars

A Maserati MC20 GT3 would be amazing to see on the track. I also wish Alfa had raced the 4C in GT3 instead of blowing all that money on F1 instead.

flat_plane_eddie and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Since the passing of Marchionne, there has been a lot of animosity between Ferrari and Maserati, which was below the surface when he was alive.

23. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I can’t remember where I read the article from, but it claimed that the MC20 will share the same carbon tub as the Alfa 4C. 600hp in a tiny package like will definitely be fun.

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    yes, and n! You forget that both, Ferrari and Maserati are part of FCA. And to compete against Porsche means, you compete against the best sports car package
    on this planet. Porsche (Bugatti and Lamborghini) are part of the VW universe. Yes, they are positioned on different levels but ol`Piech had nothing against in-house-competition (example: Porsche Panamera/Cayenne vs Audi RSs and the Qs). And exaxtly this is not possible within FCA.

Macchionne made a huge mistake to decide that Maserati had to press life back into an almost dead Alfa Romeo instead of developing their own future. Out came the Stelvio that had in the beginning more hp than the Levante and was significantly cheaper....! Maserati develope and build the 4C-Alfa when Maserati needed urgendly new products. How silly was all that (and contradicting to your mentioning of a "not the same segment...") because it bound developing recourses at Maserati. Furthermore Maserati`s marketing strategies are are very weak point: a 4-door car was named Ghibli!!!!! Geeee...!

As of potential: FCA has not yet discover the full potential of Maserati while Ferrari became the most valuable automotive brand on this planet.
    So, a lot of strategic work has to be done at Maserati but unfortunately this is not the strongest point of FCA (Ferrari of course, knows exactly how to do strategy!).

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  25. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I see the same repeating problem with Italian car makers over the years. They hit a few grand slams but overall their strategy is just all over the place and not consistent.

wbaeumer likes this.