2005 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti in Santa Barbara only $75,995 | FerrariChat

2005 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti in Santa Barbara only $75,995

Discussion in '612/599' started by Amalfi Dream, Nov 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Amalfi Dream

Amalfi Dream Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Wait
    #1 Amalfi Dream, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I think it looks really nice and actually think the car is aging pretty well.
    I think the major on that car is expensive so would be worth checking when it was last done and how good the service history is.
    The interior is nice too, I'd add some black carpets and you'd be good to go.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    It started life as an FNA demo car. Run a CarFax and commission a clean PPI - if it checks out, then buy it. That's a lot of car for the price.

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When I see a car priced below market, I assume there's probably a reason. It could be a nice example of a higher mileage 612 or it could need $20k in work. Or both. If it's the right car, don't be afraid to spend a little money to sort.

5. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Definitely an impressive price - even for an early production base model.

Looks like it also has the following options:
    -Daytona Seats
    -19" Modular Wheels (Silver)

If anything, this particular example proves that Ferrari GT cars look better WITHOUT the fender shields.

jrosevear likes this.
  6. Amalfi Dream

Amalfi Dream Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Wait
    Although I'm more interested in a 456 (slightly smaller), I emailed the dealer to get more info about service performed and carfax results.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Very nice early US 612, probably built around Feb/Mar 2005. Looks like she just needs a good interior detailing. That is the bottom of the price range for a 575M, much less a 612. A full service with cambelts, degreeing the cams, and all fluids and filters, should not run more than $5-6K if she needs it. If the belts can be locked and swapped, way less. Timing marks scribed on the backs of the cams (not the assembly marks on the front) have proven to be very accurate for belt swaps.

8. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Car looks repainted, lower sides and front air intakes, also both bumpers do not look well alligned, specially the rear left. Maybe an accident? Would have a very close look into that.

Stefan

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Late 2004.

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Agree with Stefan, this car has some bad history.

11. Amalfi Dream

Amalfi Dream Karting

Oct 24, 2014
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Wait
    Looking closer at the photos, there does seem to be some uneven gaps between bumper and fender.
    Apparently the owner has no records the last 7 years.
    No records from previous owner either.
    Owners "On staff mechanic" replaced the timing belt 4 years ago and 4000 miles.
    Clutch @ 40%
    Needs mirror switch, new tire pressure monitors.
    Who knows what else?

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So there are no records ever for the car? That is really, really suspect. Did you get a car fax?

I would have to have a very thorough PPI done by a real pro before I would even consider buying that car.

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I need to post this in another thread on the subject, but there are good, cheap TPMS sensors on Ebay that work fine. Just tested in my 612 post sale.

If the belts were replaced four years ago, that's very likely the only belt service it's ever had, which is fine in itself. Belt either breaks or it doesn't, eh? But they're about due again. And given the lack of records, assume it'll need several other things like plugs, fuel injector cleaning, full fluid replacement, cam seals will be suspect and for a couple grand more might as well do them with the belts. Car is probably going to need some work. I would expect some suspension work as well, maybe an F1 leak somewhere, that sort of thing.

**** the mirror knob. take a piece of bubble gum, stick it back on and use your thumb to move your drivers mirror when you need to. It's a grand to fix or more and my son's legos are stronger. It'll just break again. There's a thread here where we were trying to get some attention, hopefully get an aftermarket solution. You might bump that if you buy the car. Someday someone needs to 3D print a bunch of these things or something.

If you get serious about the car, we can tell you what else to look for. 612 is generally a very reliable car, but if it's been neglected, you'll need to bring her up to date. Would be the same with any other performance or limited run auto. AMG comes to mind. You can get in deep with a neglected AMG.

14. alonsomassa79

alonsomassa79 Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    WV
    Full Name:
    vignesh
    Well below market, grigio ingrid misquoted as platinum colored in the ad, seems to be not an auth dealer...would check accident history.

15. shaan

shaan Karting

Sep 9, 2014
    London
    Stay away - sometimes a bargain means spending way more to bring the car upto date.
    No history will have an issue with resell.
    You will always look at the car with a fine comb to find faults - its not a good feeling.
    When things go wrong on these cars - bills are extremely high.

16. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    what if a in-depth ppi gets done at $1000? would that not compensate for the lack of records?
    In some ways i get the non record thing from a buyer. but if you do a good ppi and then follow up with a service, would not thee 2 things become the records of value?

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I have records, though they're not complete.

The car was delivered to FNA through FNA-INT DEMO of the US, 19 April 2005, with an ownership end date of 22 November 2005 - but then a second FNA record suggests it was delivered from them right back to them on the same day, 22 November 2005; they list the car's true retail date as 22 May 2006. But this conflicts with other records I have, where the car was for sale in September, 2005, at Ferrari of San Francisco with 2,460 miles. It was also seen sometimes in 2005 on NJ plates: DTM 13. Steve Harris Imports had it for sale in May 2008, with 16,500 miles, and listed it as a one-owner car. Then CNC put it on eBay, September, 2009, with 18,678 miles, and the bids were somewhere around $124,900. That's all she wrote; until now.

18. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    no history & no record = run

19. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    $124,900 in 2009 was way too low...

20. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Mirror switch is mechanically identical to the 2005-2008 Maserati QP. Black knob versus the knurled silver though. I got mine for $50 from Ricambi rather than $900 from Ferrari. Looks great.

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That, sir, is a great contribution. Thank you.

22. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    How far off FMV is $76K?

I was in the dealership and asked about trade value for my '06 612 (black/black 20k miles and major done last year) and the salesman said $80 give or take. I realize trade in is different from retail. What's mine worth, roughly?

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    $100-110K retail.

24. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003