California T 3rd Brake Light LED Flasher mod | FerrariChat

California T 3rd Brake Light LED Flasher mod

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by whatheheck, Jun 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My usual disclaimer: Im posting to share knowledge & experience so that if anyone wants to do the same mod here’s the info you need to make life easier for you.

Im not here asking for your approval or whether you like this or agree with this or not.

If you disagree or you don’t like it its OK, its my car. You too can do whatever you want to your own car.
    Always remember to each his own.

If this info helps you a simple thanks goes a long way.

Now that we have that out of the way.......................

================================================================================
    Situation:

To comply with US laws that brake lights shall be installed on a stationary part of the vehicle Ferrari late during their design reconfigured their tail lights assignment. See attached photo on how its supposed to be & how it turned out to be after complying with US requirements to the best of my knowledge.

Summary: they used the bottom parking lights on the bumper for brake lights.

Issue with this revised design is the brake lights are now way too low and are not in drivers plain direct line of sight view.

I can most likely figure out how to restore it back to original design (brake lights back on top) but Im concerned of voiding my warranty or insurance declining coverage in the event of a rear end accident should they discover I modified the original Ferrari brake light design that meets federal requirements.

As you all know our cars attracts a lot of attention especially other drivers that come too close to take a closer look at our cars that we’re concerned we can get rear ended if we have to brake unexpectedly. With the brake lights way low on the bumper on a California T this is a major concern for me.

So for now, I decided the 2nd best approach is to install a 3rd brake light LED flasher.
    Next I will try and figure out how to do a brake light rewire. I already purchased the WSM and Wiring Diagram.

I have done the same mod to my 360 and F430 so the approach is similar.

I like the 3rd brake light LED flasher modification as it really grabs the attention of drivers behind us whenever we have to step on our brakes. Hence, this mod.

Degree of difficulty of this mod from 1 to 10, one being very easy and 10 very difficult = 3.
    Approximate mod time from start to finish = 2 hours.

Mod is simple:

1. Buy LED flasher: (Parts list on next page.)
    2. Install flasher module in series with 3rd brake light power.
    3. Done!

Short video below, complete DIY write up including parts I used on the attached document.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

f355spider likes this.
  2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    "I can most likely figure out how to restore it back to original design (brake lights back on top) but Im concerned of voiding my warranty or insurance declining coverage in the event of a rear end accident should they discover I modified the original Ferrari brake light design that meets federal requirements."

This has been done on Cali. I would like to keep the current (approved) set up but ADD the tail lights. If this can be done without major changes to my Cali T.
    Thanks and keep the info coming its great!
    Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Steve,

Yes, I too saw the post of the brake lights being rewired on a California.
    No details provided on Cali T modification as it was done by an independent shop.

Keeping the current configuration and add the top lights as brake lights should be easy as all we need to do is to cap & stow wiring to the rear fog lights, then run a parallel wire from bottom brake lights to the top tail lights.

But that wont be a good design & wont comply with US law as I understand there is another US federal law that states a vehicle can only have a maximum of 3 separate lights on at the same time.....................

Dan

SLViper1 likes this.
  4. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Nice write up, but isn’t a flashing third brake light also illegal? I vaguely recall a discussion that only signal and hazard lights were allowed to flash ... even with the newer Mustangs and some other cars that have sequential flashing signal lights, those were deemed okay because they don’t all flash at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW and whatheheck like this.
  5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for chiming in.

Great question. I am not aware of any Federal or State law that makes flashing brake lights illegal.

I've installed flashing 3rd brake lights on all my cars and not once I was ever stopped by police.

And before they pull me over or issue me a ticket if flashing 3rd brake light is illegal they better first address the homeless camps in Seattle with massive trash and hypodermic needs spread all over downtown and those protesters destroying public & private property here in Seattle.

Justicepool, jag-oo-r and rgb125 like this.
  6. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp

7. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Dan,

Great summary and guidance.

Many thanks,

David.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Modern Ferrari starting with the La Ferrari and newer , I think ALL have flashers that come on when you brake hard ( 80% or more ) indicating a hard braking event is happening. So, I'm not sure if its a law or maybe just not enforced? But Ferrari come from the factory this way... just thinking out loud.

S

whatheheck and vjd3 like this.