From 488 to GTC4 Lusso | FerrariChat

From 488 to GTC4 Lusso

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by bradb1us, Aug 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bradb1us

bradb1us Karting

Jun 19, 2009
    Utah
    #1 bradb1us, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now that I've had my Lusso for a few weeks, I wanted to do a quick comparison coming from my 488 to this new car. My reason for ordering a Lusso had everything to do with having two young sons that want to accompany me on club drives, hence the need for back seats. Otherwise I was perfectly content with the 488--it was a phenomenal car.

Looks: I don't think it can be argued that the 488 isn't miles ahead in the looks department. I think it's one of the best Ferrari designs in recent years, and a vast improvement over the 458 (which I also owned). That being said, the back end of the Lusso is awesome, and in my humble opinion, a very large improvement over the FF which it replaced. The four tail lights vs. two gives it a wider look. Coming up behind the car, it has serious road presence. I had a young man comment at the gas station last night that he didn't know Ferrari made a wagon. I laughed, but he's right. This is a two door, AWD, 681 hp V12 Ferrari station wagon.

Sound: Just as I don't think one could argue the 488 isn't the better looking car, I find it hard to argue the Lusso doesn't sound miles better than the 488. The V12 is honestly unbelievable. It's the best sound track of any car I've ever owned (some 50 odd cars now). I can't believe I haven't owned a V12 Ferrari prior to this. I guess I didn't realize what I was missing? The Lusso is quiet enough to use as a daily driver, but get above 4k rpms and it makes me wonder why I spent money on a Tesla Model X (speed, yes. Sound is zilch). The 488 was so fast on the track, but sounded like a slightly pissed off vacuum cleaner. In fact, we tried to get video of me going down the straight at Miller Motorsports Park, but the car was so quiet that it actually made it look slow! haha

Performance: These are two very different cars. The Lusso isn't nearly as fast off the line (it's no slouch, but it's 4k+ pounds), but I swear it pulls harder from 60 mph and up. The V12 seriously doesn't stop pulling--the powerband is so broad, whereas the 488 saw a diminishing rate of return up top until you shifted to the next gear and found that turbo power again. My guess is the 488 is overall faster, but the Lusso would have a higher top speed. And on the track it wouldn't even be close--the 488 would smoke it (I tracked the 488 only once. I won't track the Lusso ever, I have Porsches for that).

Interior: I think Ferrari is finally figuring it out. My 488 interior was stunning. The Lusso's is even better--more intuitive. I've read some gripes about plasticky pieces showing up in these new Ferraris, which is true, but what the Lusso lacks in materials it makes up for in design and layout. And let me be honest: every new Ferrari should have this infotainment system that my Lusso came with. It functions flawlessly and actually brings the car into the 21st century. The silly little screen up in the display with the knob and menu I could never figure out in the 488? All completely resolved in the Lusso. I opted for the passenger display as well in the Lusso, and while some might call it hokey, my passengers have loved it so far.

How do they drive: I never experienced more than a test drive in an FF, so I can't benchmark any improvements there, but the Lusso has to be the best daily driver that Ferrari has ever produced. Ingress/egress is easy. I had two sets of golf clubs in the back the other day. My kids and their Recaro car seats fit perfectly into the back seats (I'm 6'2" for comparison). The rear wheel steering makes the car feel much smaller than it actually is, too. There is power on tap everywhere. The suspension is not too tight and not too soft for my daily use. I honestly can't find fault with it yet? It's the perfect blend of sports car and baby hauler. The 488 felt more purposeful as a sports car and as a two seater with very little storage space, I never pretended it was anything more than a sports car that I could drive to work and then run to the track.

Synopsis: Both spectacular in their own right. I doubt many Lusso sales are lost to people cross shopping with a 488 (or vice versa), as they both are so different. The 488 is a performer and better looking, but if you want the best sounding, best use for daily service, I think the Lusso is it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    Excellent writeup Brad and very enjoyable to read. Much respect for trading in the 488 for the Lusso so that your kids can enjoy with you.

If you ever need anything for the car please do not hesitate to reach out. It would be a pleasure to work with you.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Congrats for the new car, and nice write up indeed.
    There's nothing like a Ferrari V12...

4. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Hopefully you will keep this one for a few years, and if so I would appreciate the right of first refusal. GT

5. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Awesome review!

Drive in good health always!!!

6. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    Congratulations! Beautiful spec! Love it!

7. Ced357

Ced357 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Parkland FL
    Both cars are beautiful, but the memories to be made in the Lusso are priceless. Congrats!

8. phill88

phill88 Rookie

Jul 17, 2019
    still loving the car Brad ? I like the review. I was wondering the back seats for the kids, does your Ferrari provide ISO fitting for baby car seats ?

9. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    The FF and Lusso do have ISO connectors for car seats in the back. If you search under new car seats you will see the post I made showing how it looks.