What Modern Ferrari(s) Do Vintage Fans Like | FerrariChat

What Modern Ferrari(s) Do Vintage Fans Like

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m curious, for those who are primarily (or solely) vintage fans, what modern Ferrari(s) do you like and why? This isn’t a debate about what the Ferrari company and the brand have become. I’m just asking about the cars themselves.

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    My 550, which can best be described as a modern interpretation of the line of front-engined V12 GTs that ended with the Daytona, because front-engined V12s were the Ferrari icons of my youth, and it has a lot of the character of the early cars, combined with a few creature comforts like aircon that works(!), and is a hell of a lot more affordable.

None after the Maranello, though I rather like the look of the new Roma, so maybe Ferrari styling is taking a turn for the better again.

As well as the aesthetics, the performance of today's Ferraris would be wasted on me - I never feel that my Dino is lacking in that department and my 550 has more performance than I could ever use on the road. A sign of age, I guess!

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I owned a 1967 330 2+2, and currently own a 308 GTSi. And a Pur Sang Bugatti 35B.

And I honestly wouldn’t have any of the current line. They are rather more bland than their predecessors. Very fast. But Porsche, Mclaren, Lamborghini, et al can play that game.

The smell of the leather and oil, and the sounds, just aren’t there anymore.

Matt

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    To clarify - the term "modern" does not exclusively mean "current". Modern Ferrari's could mean anything from the 80's on.

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Respect your opinion, but I'm not referring only to current models, rather, Ferrari's that aren't of the vintage era..

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Although I do not write much about them here on Fchat, I am just as enthusiastic and interested in modern Ferraris as I am about classic Ferraris. I hate the word vintage applied to classic Ferraris. I absolutely love the 458/488/F8 line, and of course the LaF.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  7. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am lucky enough to own a 365gtc4 and a 599.I had no interest in the "modern" cars until the 599 came along.The styling just grabbed me and the similarities of the Pininfarina design is evident.I have always done all my own work on my old cars but there are limitations on the 599.There is nothing like a front engine V12 and a stick for shifting.The C4 is a joy to drive and listen to as well.That said , the 599 is fantastic. While a different experience it is a perfect GT car .Speed, comfort,ease of operation.Owning the 599 has made me less of a critic of the newer cars. I guess this old dog learned some new tricks. Mike

Texas Forever and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Challenge Stradale, TDF, Enzo and LaFerrari.

Base 458 is also pretty spectacular as it can do anything you want and still be very thrilling.

Caeruleus11 and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    While there's no question to me that the cars from the 50's and 60's are dreams to admire, I do have a soft spot for the Ferrari's from my formiddable years (80"s and 90's) like the 328, 288 GTO, F40, 355, F50. I also love the designs of the F8 Tribute and SF90. And, of course, who doesn't like the Enzo and LaFerrari?

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Good for you! The term "vintage" is almost as much misused as "antique". The vintage era was over long before the first Ferrari was built. By about 16 years, if my memory serves me correctly.

AtSomePoint, Nembo1777 and miurasv like this.
  11. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    333 SP #019

F40 LM #74045

550 GTS #108418

:)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, I think it's all about context, cultural definition and/or personal preference, etc.
    Take terms like "Classic" (as in cars defined by CCCA) or "Classical" (as in architecture, designs, music, etc), both also more often than not, "misused"(?).
    With these in mind, I choose to use "vintage" for generalizing/referencing to any and all 40-50 years and older cars, regardless of make or model.
    I also think terms like brass era, pre- or postwar are quite apt for automotive age references.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I really like my 612. I like the FF and F12 also... guess I just like V-12 cars.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    I thought I would keep my testarossa forever. Single-mirror, knock-offs, not pretty but really exotic in a weird way, and very exciting to spectators. But after a number of years I saw this 612. I thought it was the most beautiful Ferrari ever. So I traded for it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777 and Texas Forever like this.
  15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #15 John Vardanian, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    I don't give two hoots about driveability, performance or comfort. The only thing that counts is good looks. So, anything past the 308 and the Boxer is about as appealing as our Subaru. :)

john

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but subaru has 4 WD ;)

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Inside look too? Hard to believe a classic lover would dig the Roma inside with that central dash iPad and interior fighting it out with just about every other DD on the lot.

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Having said that, I met up with a friend yesterday that had a Rossa Maranello F12 that was pretty spectacular!

Matt

19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    It is the exterior that took my fancy. The interior? No better, no worse than the current line-up, just different. There is something of the classic Corvette about it which I find rather interesting and, indeed, attractive:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    What I do not like about the F12 and other recent Ferraris, is the rather brutal, macho appearance, the sharp angles, and the sticky out bits (and yes, McLaren, Lambo, etc. all seem to do the same; Porsche not so much, at least not on the lesser models, if one can describe a 911 as "lesser"!). Put an F12 next to a Maranello, or a 488 to a Dino, and it is rather a case of "beauty and the beast".

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Interesting. That’s what I liked about it!

Matt

22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    You have no taste!:D:D:D

23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I suppose it’s pointless to debate preference because we all have our own and there really isn’t a wrong sentiment. That said, regardless of preferences for a different era, there’s nothing unimpressive about a 288 GTO, an Enzo or a LaFerrari (or other modern Ferrari’s). Most of us form our preferences when we were younger. I’m sure a little boy who sees a LaFerrari on the road and goes insane with excitement wouldn’t react the way to a Lusso. Understandable.

turbo-joe likes this.
  24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Having now sit in a Roma, I think you're right. Did not really dig the interior. Although those haptic buttons too. ☹️
    T

25. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I actually like the Roma quite a bit, although I haven't seen one in real life.