Paint - finding proper "vintage" colours | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Paint - finding proper "vintage" colours

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 330 4HL, Oct 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    True. That is the point of using what ever you have as a starting point and produce multiple spray outs. I'll be in my spray out stage in a few weeks with the 308 gt4. I have a formula from a fellow fchatter, a 16 yr old can of color that I may have had scanned way back when which I can't remember. And I have original 308gt4 paint chip kit in the way. I'm gonna dread being the one to pick which one is "correct". So I guess when one can't get a formula either try and scan off the car and adjust to what looks correct. Or adjust a original paint chip. At some point the bodyshop computer will cross reference similar colors. Pick those spray them out and see what u get

2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Theo, if you were to open up that PF herbol paint book and photograph each page, labeling each color, and post it here, I would buy you dinner in London.

3. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    The scan is sometimes correct, not efficient to 100%. Charts of color, well looks better way if the paint machine is correctly equilibrate, and cleaned correctly ALL days.

The thing, it s you have for sale some oil base as a neutral paint.
    When you find the correct formula you can filled the base (neutral paint) with colors (formula)

You will have 98% your color, in oil base.

And It s legal 100%.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, that's very helpful.....and also a bit confusing. Many color names have more than one entry on that list. For example, I counted 17 mentions for verde pino. I'm considering repainting a 308GT4 in its original color of verde pino. How would one determine which of those is correct for a particular year and series of Ferrari?

Many thanks.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Chassis number of the 308 GT4 in question?
    May be I can then help.

Marcel Massini

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you, Marcel.

I have sent a private message.

Jack.

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Check your PM's.

MM

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    A clarification: paint used to be nitrocellulose lacquer, not oil based. Oil based paints were used for walls, not cars. The drying time of oil paint is much longer than you want for car production.

Enamel was also used, as in black fenders. But bodies were usually nitrocellulose lacquer.

Interestingly, the WW2 axis powers were prohibited from using many chemicals that could be used for weaponry. As a result, Europe developed acrylic urethanes. Ferrari would start using them in, I believe, September of 1981.

Matt

9. Tracy Ratliff

Tracy Ratliff Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    tracy ratliff
    I have a 1961 maserati 3500 GT which was painted in Bianco Gardenia (Italver code 15470) which this paint code was given to me by mr fabio collina. Do any of you fine gents have a more modern code for this color. He told me my maserati happens to be number 5 of the 9 painted in this color. Lovely!

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What part of the country are you in?

There's two ways to go.

Find a good local painter and start with some spray outs.

Or consult the local high end vintage resto shops, and see where that leads you.
    It's all well and good to have the coveted "Factory Code" but as so many brands as well as the paint materials itself has changed, color matching is the only way forward, IMO. Usually working to some "overspray area" of the original non UV faded color.

Many locations are prohibited by EPA from high VOC compounds, yet others can "find a way" to get small jobs done.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome Tracy and congrats, that sounds like a wonderful machine.

12. Tracy Ratliff

Tracy Ratliff Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    tracy ratliff
    Im in the USA, i was afraid of hearing that. Im fully restoring it, so unfortunately it isn't a small job. no other suggestions by chance?

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Ask PPG in Pittsburgh, PA.

Marcel Massini

readplays and TTR like this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    NürScud and readplays like this.
  15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what please has this to do with ferrari?

also would be good if you could introduce yourself a little and fill out you profile as a newbie, thx

16. Tracy Ratliff

Tracy Ratliff Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    tracy ratliff
    Nothing, but when there was talk about italian paint codes i figured i would create an account and see if someone could assist in pointing me in the right direction.

17. Tracy Ratliff

Tracy Ratliff Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    tracy ratliff
    Thank you i appreciate all the help i have received. Much appreciated

18. Tracy Ratliff

Tracy Ratliff Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    tracy ratliff

Ferrari has alot to do with Maserati.

In 1999, Ferrari took full control, making Maserati its luxury division. A new factory was built, replacing the existing 1940s-era facility.

Pretty much one in the same. But just to introduce myself, I live in Ohio and have had my own shop for 66 years. I have owned many hard to find vehicles. Including and not limited to the 1960 Maserati 5000 GT which was the Shah of Persia's number 2 car.

My name is Tracy and I specifically came here to try to match or find this color for this Maserati so that it can be restored to its original (like) state.

Thanks for having me and nice to meet you all! Thanks for the help

Bryanp, wbaeumer and daytonaman like this.
  19. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Tracy thank you for contributing

20. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Hi guys, Im restoring my 1979 Ferrari 400GT, originally painted in Bianco Beta Duco IT, now the car is all red.
    I live in Chile and is impossible to find another car here with that color to match. Before I start the color removal proccess I will like to get a clue about how would I get it done...... if you can help me with any information regarding the color mix to get this specific color I will apreciate it
    I do not point to 100% exact because I will need a sample that I dont have near.
    Regards
    Andres

21. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Please I need help to get info for Bianco Beta Duco IT color for my 1979 400GT ch numb 26267
    :)
    Regards
    Andres from Chile

Ramboy likes this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Again and again and again: Try Roberto Bertaccini of Carrozzeria Cremonini in Lesignana near Modena.

Marcel Massini

turbo-joe likes this.
  23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    PM sent!

24. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Hi Marcel, I wrote Roberto with no luck.... do you know where can I find the mix plate / data sheet for this special color
    Regards
    Andres

25. Massimo PICCINI

Mar 23, 2020
    Trieste (NE Italia)
    Full Name:
    Massimo PICCINI
    Good evening, I am a model maker and I am making a Ferrari 375 MM spider ex emperor Bao Dai, can you help me with the paint, the color was Azzurro metallic LC 35, I can't find any information.
    Thank you

NYC Fred likes this.