488 - 488 strange problem | FerrariChat

488 488 strange problem

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jyupitt, Jun 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Hi y’all,

Yesterday after I turned off the car and locked the doors, noticed the radio/Nav CONTROL lights ( not screen) stayed on. I check after a few hours it’s still on.

This am I went to see if the car is dead, it’s not and the lights are off.

Anyone know why?

Thanks in advance. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I noticed the same thing on my car, seems like those lights stay on for quite awhile after you turn car off.

3. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    I have noticed that as well - all the controls on dashboard including lcd screens stay on ( displaying 488 spider on screen) after I shut off the car.

But this is the first time only a few buttons stayed on, and for a very very long time. I think 5-6 hours min

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Guess it's reminding you to hook up the car to a tender.. or else!

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Happened to me also only once and believe it or not the next drive went to the service station to get fuel and dang wouldn't restart.

IMO its an indication of a low battery, being on tender will do bugger all. It needs recharging or changing.

6. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    I park in a garage without outlets, the battery is brand new...

The car is driven pretty regularly ...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Your battery is about to die.

MANDALAY likes this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Welcome to Ferrari

IPO1, sampelligrino and Shadowfax like this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #9 Shadowfax, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Yup. Normal.

No point trying to overthink it when it's being going on for years. One day they will concede they need to recruit the Japanese or Germans. What will bring it to a head is once Ferrari are forced to go full electric it will be game over if they don't. I also think these new hybrids are really going to test ones tolerance to inconvenience beyond imagination.

Gh21631 likes this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I didnt drive my GT3 for about a month and was concerned it wouldn't start but no problem. The F12 had to stay plugged in while I was away, same for the Pista.

sampelligrino and Shadowfax like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Funny you say that. Haven't driven my 3 for a month either. Got into it today with absolutely no prior thought or concern to even check or prep it for today's track event and as per usual fired first turn and ran flawlessly all day.....very solid. Meanwhile Pista sits plugged in. I honestly don't know what it's going to take for Ferrari to get their act together with the electrics. I wouldn't hold a candle out waiting that's for sure.

sampelligrino, Viperjoe and Gh21631 like this.
  12. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I don’t understand why Ferrari can’t figure this battery thing out. It’s obviously not a priority for them.
    I remember reading a thread on this forum that someone noticed the rear taillights don’t completely go off when their 488 is turned off. There is a faint glow . If it’s as simple as taillights not going out it’s pretty sad.
    I’m afraid the first customers of the new hybrids will be guinea pigs for Ferrari. It’s hard to see battery tech going from unreliable in their conventional cars to reliable in hybrids .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631 likes this.
  13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Totally normal on 488, even had service look at the same issue

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think they are just fitting rubbish batteries. I know so many people who have had batteries fail within 2 years even when keeping the car on the battery tender.

Napoli likes this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    As electrical issues exist in other late models I suspect they genuinely don't know how to provide a properly working system. The tail light issue was indeed there on 488 but whether it was the culprit or just a contributing factor amongst other problems still doesn't answer for why the alternator is unable to regenerate the battery and a tender is always needed on such a late model car. But you are right - they evidently don't care - the hybrids will unlikely to prove any more reliable. And putting in a cheap battery as being some form of credible excuse for the rest of the systems again doesn't make any sense especially when they get paid so much for the car.

Not being able to provide a properly working vehicle at this price point is a very bad look for the brand really, and raises more questions than answers.

MANDALAY, junc, Napoli and 2 others like this.
  16. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So then this is normal and not a result of a battery about to go bad.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #17 Shadowfax, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    The battery goes bad because it never gets properly recharged when driving the car, and the tender can only do so much it would seem when the led on the rear is partially on even when the car is asleep. So the trickle charger is probably feeding in only just enough to offset the led being on and whatever else is going on in the wiring loom that isn't meant to be, and so the poor battery ends up giving out. A heavier duty battery will last longer so i'm told but at one point it will probably give out too if its not getting enough charge and falls below the critical level....which is inevitable given the fact the alternator never recharges the battery properly.

Let's face it, this problem really should not exist in a car of this value, pedigree, and vintage. I mean being able to count on the car to at least start surely shouldn't be too much to ask - but in Ferrari world it apparently is.

Ash Patel likes this.
  18. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A good quality interstate battery that has never been completely drained lasts 3-4 years on Ferrari's and Maserati's... As a rule of thumb I swap a battery out every 2 years for preventative maintenance and never had a problem( knock on wood) and I've been driving various Italian beauties since 2014.

I don't even have access to a full-time tender as I live in a condo. I simply drive the car a minimum of once per week, and if I don't drive it, I end up bringing out my portable YETI lithium ion battery as a power source for the battery tender and let it sit over-night and wake up to a fully charged battery (all lights lit on tender)

Even If I'm regularly driving it once a week I'll still top up the battery with my tender every month just to ensure the battery gets a 100% charge. If I plan to travel for multiple weeks I simply unplug the battery.

These cars are kind of demanding but once you get used to it, it's not that bad.